Swansea City vs. Newcastle United - 10/09/17 @ 4pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

With no obvious weak links from last game, everyone should keep their place unless its for specific tactical reasons.

Tend to agree with this. However, there's almost certainly a gulf in quality between Yedlin and Manquillo, Lascelles and Lejeune. It's hard not to improve the staring 11 where possible.

I tricky but nice problem for Rafa.

And you really think that Yedlin's not rusty? :lol: Too early for him I'd say. Even in the Championship when he got back from a couple of injuries he looked bad in the beginning before getting up to speed. I say ease him in and give him more minutes game by game. Unless Manquillo has a shocker or two.

Who knows, Manquillo might raise his game knowing that Yedlin is back. Not need for changes straight after a decent win against West Ham.

And you really think that Yedlin's not rusty? :lol: Too early for him I'd say. Even in the Championship when he got back from a couple of injuries he looked bad in the beginning before getting up to speed. I say ease him in and give him more minutes game by game. Unless Manquillo has a shocker or two.

Who knows, Manquillo might raise his game knowing that Yedlin is back. Not need for changes straight after a decent win against West Ham.

Yeah that might be the best way although its difficult to "work" fullbacks back into play especially with no cup games to speak of for some time. Manquillo's struggles against Huddersfield still stick in my mind (even Spurs I wasnt impressed). He was good enough last time out so maybe see how it goes against Swansea. Had Yedlin joined the US team for WCQ then it would be 100% no brainer.

Its also possible that Rafa wants  Manquillo (with Yedlin back) at LB given the lack of options, so that may necessitate things.

I don't want Shelvey straight back in, it sends the wrong message.  I'm sure he got straight back in after his suspension last season and maybe at the back of his mind it made him think he's indispensable.  To be fair that was true to a certain extent as he had been outstanding and we didn't have a Merino to step in for him.  This situation is different as Merino, Hayden and Perez all played well in the last game so it's a perfect opportunity to let him know he's not "all that".

We are not in a position to "send the right message", we need to win football games. Shelvey is infinitely superior to Perez and should be brought in for him imo. However if Rafa won't play a more flat central 3 and prefers to go with Perez in the hole, even though he doesn't really play that role that well, then he'll drop one of Merino or Hayden, my guess would be Merino.

Shelvey will be up for this one too, anxious to repay the team for his stupidity and keen to put one over his old team. He's also the player we were built around in pre-season, I can't imagine all that preperation will be thrown away by Rafa.

I don't want Shelvey straight back in, it sends the wrong message.  I'm sure he got straight back in after his suspension last season and maybe at the back of his mind it made him think he's indispensable.  To be fair that was true to a certain extent as he had been outstanding and we didn't have a Merino to step in for him.  This situation is different as Merino, Hayden and Perez all played well in the last game so it's a perfect opportunity to let him know he's not "all that".

We are not in a position to "send the right message", we need to win football games. Shelvey is infinitely superior to Perez and should be brought in for him imo. However if Rafa won't play a more flat central 3 and prefers to go with Perez in the hole, even though he doesn't really play that role that well, then he'll drop one of Merino or Hayden, my guess would be Merino.

Shelvey will be up for this one too, anxious to repay the team for his stupidity and keen to put one over his old team. He's also the player we were built around in pre-season, I can't imagine all that preperation will be thrown away by Rafa.

I disagree with all of that.

Firstly, no player is above a manager like Rafa, so he can send a message. If Shelvey doesn't heed the warning, eventually he will be replaced, as the manager doesn't suffer fools.

Secondly, Shelvey isn't a number 10. Perez isn't a particularly good one but it is where Rafa sees him playing, therefore he will probably keep his spot.

Merino's performance was excellent, so I'd be shocked if he was dropped. Especially since Rafa rewards performances and drops players for poor performance. He won't play Merino and Shelvey because there aren't enough legs there for Rafa, he wants one in there with a decent engine, which means Hayden.

To finish, Rafa wouldn't build his side around one player or be overly reliant on one player. It's all about teamwork.

Firstly, no player is above a manager like Rafa, so he can send a message. If Shelvey doesn't heed the warning, eventually he will be replaced, as the manager doesn't suffer fools.

Secondly, Shelvey isn't a number 10. Perez isn't a particularly good one but it is where Rafa sees him playing, therefore he will probably keep his spot.

Merino's performance was excellent, so I'd be shocked if he was dropped. Especially since Rafa rewards performances and drops players for poor performance. He won't play Merino and Shelvey because there aren't enough legs there for Rafa, he wants one in there with a decent engine, which means Hayden.

To finish, Rafa wouldn't build his side around one player or be overly reliant on one player. It's all about teamwork.

Where exactly did I say play Shelvey as a number 10 ? I said play a flat centre three is what I would do and that Shlevey is a way better player than Perez, again hardly rocket science not sure what you disagree with there.

In terms of sending a message as opposed to winning games, the guy made a mistake, his first legitimate sending off as a NUFC player. He was wound up by an absolute tosser who really should have been booked for kicking the ball away too,no excuse for his actions but it happens, he's served his suspension and I'm sure Rafa's reprimanded him too. We are not so stacked with talent that we can allow our best midfielder from last year and up to the Spuds game to not be fitted into the team when available.

Merino's 21, he's played 2 and a quarter games for us, looked excellent against West Ham, but is still learning his trade as was apparent in his lack of effort for Huddersfield's goal (hell if Shelvey had done what he had, he would be lynched on here). I never said I would drop him, I said Rafa would probably do this to bring back Shelvey. I will re-iterate the best combination I see for is all three of them and sacrifice Perez, but none are 10's that's why it would require Rafa douing something he never does and change his formation.

It was clear in pre-season that whenever Shelvey was involved we suddenly looked so much better from an attacking perspective, Rafa clearly saw Shelvey as a pivotal part in his plans this season, he's not going to throw all those plans away because of one moment of madness.

Lejeune should start whenever fit.

Lascelles has done little wrong since replacing him but I tend to agree, I wouldn't put it past Rafa to move Clark back to LB and drop Mbemba to bring back Lejeune but I hope he doesn't Chancel has done little wrong in his makeshift role and Clark is a way better CB than LB in my view.

In a team that's not got loads of quality, surely keeping competition for places legitimate is the most important piece in us maximizing performance? Unless there's a great tactical reason for an inclusion, I don't see why the team should change at all from West Ham.

:thup:

Otherwise why would a player feel motivated after getting dropped at first chance possible despite doing really well. You perform on a good level you stay, if you don't you'll just have to wait for your next chance. Keeps everyone on their toes.

In a team that's not got loads of quality, surely keeping competition for places legitimate is the most important piece in us maximizing performance? Unless there's a great tactical reason for an inclusion, I don't see why the team should change at all from West Ham.

:thup:

Otherwise why would a player feel motivated after getting dropped at first chance possible despite doing really well. You perform on a good level you stay, if you don't you'll just have to wait for your next chance. Keeps everyone on their toes.

A good manager knows when to stay loyal to those that have performed and when to bring back the more senior players, Rafa over the years has bee adept at knowing when to do this.

Thing is, we did actually win our last football match reasonably comfortably without Shelvey.  Rafa has talked about competition for places quite a lot since he came here so he's got no reason to drop someone who performed well for a guy who let everyone down on the first day of the season.  Shelvey is a good player but he's not (and never will be) a world beater, add to the fact his performances in 2017 have been average then i can't think of one reason why he should waltz straight back into a side that just won convincingly.  I'd be really surprised if Rafa did that. 

I feel the same. He should work to get back in to the side a little. Happy for him to get 30/20 mins second half potentially but he shouldn't start automatically.