Other clubs' transfers

Greg

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Bale was there for 9 years, he only managed 8 seasons because they loaned him out for being a waste of space. Mane was at Liverpool for 6 years and seasons.

You haven't argued against my point either. Don't quote me to (1) not make an actual point and (2) get your facts wrong anyway.

:lol: "Don't quote me." You just keep yourself busy with adding ghost seasons in to try and make your point. :thup:

That's a ridiculously good deal for City. £45m tops for one of the best CDM's in the league. A great replacement for Fernandinho and with the amount of games City play he'll get plenty of minutes. 

Business done so quickly too. Depressing. 

This deal for some reason is pretty depressing to me more than others this summer. It’s a clear realisation of how these financial restrictions are going to hamper any real growth we can achieve or certainly at the pace that others have been allowed in the past. I’m not saying that Philips would have chosen us over City, but to not even be in the running (because we are essentially not allowed to spend the wealth we now have) to try and sign a player like him is just very frustrating 

Guest HTT II

Ah, I wanted him here, will only help England I suppose under Pep’s tutelage…

Edited by HTT II

Phillips going to City is great news for England. He will become a proper midfielder there.

It's also a cracking signing for them. Bellingham will join Liverpool in 12 months and Rice will join Chelsea.

England front six of:

Rice

Phillips              Bellingham

Foden        Kane        Sterling/Grealish

Let's just ignore the CBs.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

England front six of:

Rice

No idea how we haven’t scored from open play in about 8 hours, well I do know but I’m not starting the Southgate argument again 

47 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Don’t think it’s strange phrasing- it’s pretty well known that Real didn’t pick him even when fit, as their fans were throwing hissy fits about him and what they perceived to be his lack of integration, and the club didn’t want to upset the fanbase. 

Eg. “At this stage, whether it comes down to trust from Ancelotti or instructions from above, Real Madrid do not want to use Bale unless they have to.”

https://www.football-espana.net/2022/03/24/press-attacks-gareth-bale-pathetic/amp

You don’t follow Real Madrid. You don’t know what has happened. 

You’ve quoted a journalist speculating with zero insider knowledge of Real Madrid. Hazard, Isco and Jovic barely got a kick after Christmas.  Was that instruction from above as well? Real found a groove and Ancelotti used his trusted players. 

Bale hasn’t been trusted by any club manager for 3 years now. At 2 different clubs. Including a manager he had great success previously with. There has been widespread speculation that he may have retired if Wales didn’t qualify for the WC. He’s done with the rigours of regular elite football. 

28 minutes ago, STM said:

Phillips going to City is great news for England. He will become a proper midfielder there.

It's also a cracking signing for them. Bellingham will join Liverpool in 12 months and Rice will join Chelsea.

I’m concerned he doesn’t get much playing time. 

funny - many on here thought that would be too much money for Phillips to come to us.  

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m concerned he doesn’t get much playing time. 

funny - many on here thought that would be too much money for Phillips to come to us.  

He was my number 1 transfer choice. Obviously we had no chance once City were involved.

I think Bernardo Silva will go to Barca. 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You don’t follow Real Madrid. You don’t know what has happened. 

You’ve quoted a journalist speculating with zero insider knowledge of Real Madrid. Hazard, Isco and Jovic barely got a kick after Christmas.  Was that instruction from above as well? Real found a groove and Ancelotti used his trusted players. 

Bale hasn’t been trusted by any club manager for 3 years now. At 2 different clubs. Including a manager he had great success previously with. There has been widespread speculation that he may have retired if Wales didn’t qualify for the WC. He’s done with the rigours of regular elite football. 

Bit presumptuous about who I ‘follow’. I could say similar to yourself about not knowing what has happened. Unless of course you have specific insider knowledge. Which I doubt. It’s clear that Bale still has talent, and when selected for Real, he has performed exemplary, even compared to his colleagues there. Yes, Hazard, Isco and Jovic all got frozen out too. Sounds like a club culture so I’d hazard a guess that it has come from the boardroom yes, as with so many decisions at that club where the board try and save their own skins at the expense of proper footballing decisions. (Admittedly this has changed recently, especially with transfer decisions). 

Guest HTT II

Bale should be a Madrid legend, they are a strange club. 

Edited by HTT II

1 hour ago, STM said:

England front six of:

Rice

Don't forget Gareth's famous double pivot and 5 at the back marra

Guest HTT II
Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Think Phillips would have been a good fit for someone like us but got a feeling he’ll be another Delph, Rodwell, Barkley, Drinkwater, etc at City. Everton on loan within 18 months.

Nah, he plays it nice and simple the City way, he’ll not play every game but 25-30 over a season in all comps. He’s way better than any of those lot.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I really, really like Phillips. Not sure he fits the way Man City play mind.

He’s neat and tidy, looks to play simple quick passes, sits, can press when needed, is full of energy and can also join attack, although only for more quick interchange type passes. His recovery off the ball is decent too. 

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

Bit presumptuous about who I ‘follow’. I could say similar to yourself about not knowing what has happened. Unless of course you have specific insider knowledge. Which I doubt. It’s clear that Bale still has talent, and when selected for Real, he has performed exemplary, even compared to his colleagues there. Yes, Hazard, Isco and Jovic all got frozen out too. Sounds like a club culture so I’d hazard a guess that it has come from the boardroom yes, as with so many decisions at that club where the board try and save their own skins at the expense of proper footballing decisions. (Admittedly this has changed recently, especially with transfer decisions). 

Well no. I do follow Real Madrid. And you clearly do not.  

Those players cost Madrid well over £5m a month in wages. I’m sure Perez told Carlo to waste that money while chasing a CL. He probably told Carlo to select them for the bench but don’t bring them on if you really need 2 goals in the semi’s. 

Can you name 3 things the Real Madrid board have done in the last 10 years to save their face to the detriment of the football? It’s a tired cliche. 

You keep ignoring the fact that Spurs and 2 of their managers - didn’t fancy Bale either. Often left him on the bench too. 

3 hours ago, Bompeter said:

Looked good in an extremely manic Bielsa side.

Awful for England - offered zero protection or control during the Euros (and yeah I know we still shithoused our way to the final).

Not close to good enough technically or in his reading of the game to make an impact at City. 17 appearances, 7 as sub written all over him for next season.

Everybody looks bad for England. Having watched their last few games I couldn't believe how badly they made Belingham look.

Philips is best as the deep midifielder in a midfield three, which is exactly how Man City lineup, and so it will suit him perfectly. He is also accustomed to an aggressive high pressing game, due to his experience with Bielsa at Leeds. He'll be a good alternative to Rodri.

Think it's an ideal move for Philips and Man City. 

Bit of totally unnecessary, baseless and needles told-you-so-ing but I always assumed he'd end up at City. Could never understand the chatter from Newcastle fans about coming here, he was England's player of the tournament at the Euros. Was never gonna be in our range. 

57 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Well no. I do follow Real Madrid. And you clearly do not.  

Those players cost Madrid well over £5m a month in wages. I’m sure Perez told Carlo to waste that money while chasing a CL. He probably told Carlo to select them for the bench but don’t bring them on if you really need 2 goals in the semi’s. 

Can you name 3 things the Real Madrid board have done in the last 10 years to save their face to the detriment of the football? It’s a tired cliche. 

You keep ignoring the fact that Spurs and 2 of their managers - didn’t fancy Bale either. Often left him on the bench too. 

Bale still scored 11 goals in 20 appearances in his last loan at Spurs- when he’s given the chance he’s clearly still a top player.

Well, one thing the Real board did to try and save face and prevent their insurmountable rising debt level (even after a probably illegal deal to sell their land to the city) was to be a founding instigating (and continuing) member of the ‘Super League’ idea to tear apart football as we know it. All in order to try and continue to purchase top players to save their face and live beyond their means. 

Edited by Manxst