Other clubs' transfers

Greg

4 hours ago, Stifler said:

As others have said, it’s not just about the view of them from others, but keeping their own citizens happy.

In Saudi Arabia their citizens are mostly younger people now. They want more freedoms and with that, they want to experience events etc. They have had money for a while, but aside from buying a Gucci handbag, they have had little to actually do.

Golf is very popular in the Middle East and having these events is a major plus for them. The same with football and bringing the stars over.

In Qatar they have a small population, one that is probably not sustainable. Hosting the World Cup meant that they had to build infrastructure, which meant that they needed to bring in immigrants, who they hoped would stay after the work in completed. That is alongside the same issues as other countries have in keeping their own population happy.

Were Qatar hoping the migrant workers would stay?  What for if they've built the infrastructure which is no longer required?

The vast natural resource wealth means that unlike countries with developed, diversified economies, which require an increasing population to grow their GDP, I thought the reason migrant workers were brought over was simply to fill a labour shortage that the native population refuse to fill as they basically get free handouts from the government.  After these huge infrastructure projects have been completed why would they want the migrant workers to stay and wouldn't they offer them a pathway to citizenship if so?

Not doubting you, just genuine curiosity as I'm not well versed on the subject.

Edited by Eveready

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Weird that he couldn’t get a better gig than Liverpool at that price.

Weird that we didn't fight them tooth and nail for this signing. I was hoping we could outbid Liverpool for CMs since they need to sign 3 and we need 2, but they will have plenty of money to compete with us for other signings.  I don't get it. Getting back to Champions League will be much more difficult next time around. Rumors Osimhen to ManU and Levy refusing to sell Kane. 

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Big Fab reporting Mac Allister cost Liverpool £35 million. That's a bargain in today's market. 

I think they will make up for this loss in Caicedo's value. Good luck to anyone looking to sign him, it won't be less than £70m.

11 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Weird that we didn't fight them tooth and nail for this signing. I was hoping we could outbid Liverpool for CMs since they need to sign 3 and we need 2, but they will have plenty of money to compete with us for other signings.  I don't get it. Getting back to Champions League will be much more difficult next time around. Rumors Osimhen to ManU and Levy refusing to sell Kane. 

They pay huge wages tbf which hard for us to match. But a club like Man Utd should’ve been all over it.

14 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

It was probably agreed ages ago and has been a case of agreeing the finer personal terms and activating the release clause. What Twitter's "get it done" brigade don't seem to understand is transfers aren't a linear negotiation and the groundwork has usually been done weeks if not months in advance. 

5 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Is this confirmed? Most sources have been saying 45-55.

Romano has been saying all along it's less than was being reported. He says it's £35M now. 

Could also be a case of various add-ons giving everyone different numbers and all of them technically being right.

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Weird that he couldn’t get a better gig than Liverpool at that price.

Even without CL, Liverpool will still be seen as a bigger club than us currently, and you can't really argue when you compare their trophy cabinet with ours over the last 40 years.

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

Romano has been saying all along it's less than was being reported. He says it's £35M now. 

Could also be a case of various add-ons giving everyone different numbers and all of them technically being right.

Most likely the case I'd say. It's in his interest to give the headline low figure to generate the clicks.

7 minutes ago, 54 said:

Balague saying Messi is heading to Inter Miami.

A sad day but at least he didn't go to Saudi. 

Hopefully still has another good Copa America in him next year. Not sure I'll ever forgive myself for not seeing him live

29 minutes ago, TRon said:

Even without CL, Liverpool will still be seen as a bigger club than us currently, and you can't really argue when you compare their trophy cabinet with ours over the last 40 years.

I wouldn’t say us, but he would walk into Man U’s team and probably Arsenal.