Other clubs' transfers

Greg

For example, I know for a fact that different housing projects (technically) under the same banner are massively competing against each other for further investment/ resources/ manpower. It’ll be the same here; PIF will do what they see as best for PIF and allocate accordingly.

Yeah. And frankly, as far as this latest attempt by a country/league to challenge the dominance of UEFA, good luck to them. Competition is good. 

Not that I necessarily see it succeeding. You do wonder why the China strategy has been applied again. Is 'sign a load of ageing legends' literally the only possible first step in building up prestige and interest?

3 minutes ago, LV said:

Yep, at the end of the day the wider interests of the Saudi state will come above anything else, including us. 

We’re they’re investment- morality discussions aside- what’s good for us is good them, ultimately. 

36 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah. And frankly, as far as this latest attempt by a country/league to challenge the dominance of UEFA, good luck to them. Competition is good. 

Not that I necessarily see it succeeding. You do wonder why the China strategy has been applied again. Is 'sign a load of ageing legends' literally the only possible first step in building up prestige and interest?

Think they are in a hurry if the end goal really is the raising of their league's status before the bid for 2030 World Cup. And McCormick can correct me but patience doesn't really mean much with all that money burning in their pockets.

9 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Chelsea have to be the luckiest team in the world. Even after a catastrophic year of terrible signings and from windows before that, they’re going to make most of their money back, as it conveniently coincides with the exact time Saudi are investing in their league. 

It is far from luck - it's football manipulation.  Almost as if it was planned.

33 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Chelsea have to be the luckiest team in the world. Even after a catastrophic year of terrible signings and from windows before that, they’re going to make most of their money back, as it conveniently coincides with the exact time Saudi are investing in their league. 

Any credible links to share? Getting 35m for Koulibaly (only figure & name I've read on here) and a similar fee for Kovacevic from Man City they aren't even remotely close to getting back what they spent last season.

Edited by Conjo

4 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Any credible links to share? Getting 35m for Koulibaly (only figure & name I've read on here) and a similar fee for Kovacevic from Man City they aren't even remotely close to getting back what they spent last season.

No club in Europe would have spent 35m on Koulibaly. I will say they are lucky or else he would sit out his big contract at Chelsea losing him for free in two/three years.

19 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

No club in Europe would have spent 35m on Koulibaly. I will say they are lucky or else he would sit out his big contract at Chelsea losing him for free in two/three years.

They made a profit on Koulibaly from an ffp perspective. I was expecting it to he a free transfer and that would still have been a good deal for Chelsea given his wages.

3 minutes ago, TRC said:

They made a profit on Koulibaly from an ffp perspective. I was expecting it to he a free transfer and that would still have been a good deal for Chelsea given his wages.

Yeah I have no problem if its a free transfer but when they start spending millions on Aubameyang and other outkast its a big problem.

29 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Not disputing that at all. They for sure will get more than anyone else would offer if it goes through, and it helps them out FFP wise. They still spent a shit load of money they won't get back though, and I doubt Boehly have bottomless supply of money to sustain that kind of spending even if they can FFP wise.

5 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

They were always going to get rid if them though regardless of the Saudis coming in. They aren’t terrible players who no one would want, the likes of Kante, Koulibily etc where always going to be wanted.

Nah. The wages are monumental. Nobody would’ve paid a fee in Europe. Kulibaly earns over 300k per week apparently. They would’ve had to keep paying at least 2/3 that for the remainder of his contract. 

I agree  with @TheBrownBottle . I think it’s clear that KSA are prioritising their national league over NUFC. And their investment in Clearlake might have created a conflict of interest.  

It is awful timing.  I wanted Chelsea rid of Mount and other useful assets and lumbered with Koulibaly and co.’s wages for years to come. 

Oh well. 

If Saudis pay more than top dollar for players along with tax free earnings as long as eg  UK passport holders stay out of UK for X number of days each year , then I believe this will be a major issue indirectly for the game as a whole , and teams will lose players massively.