Other clubs' transfers

Greg

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I think you’re being slightly harsh, I think the money we are getting from adidas is quite large, considering where we currently are. Also our rumoured placement of being an elite club is a big deal and I wouldn’t be surprised if that was Peter Silverstone doing. 

That being said I do find us slow to move and I’m really actually shocked we didn’t get this low hanging fruit sponsors done by now even if it’s PI linked companies. 

Maybe the club just lacks resources and support on the PIF said, I imagine they are a highly structured organisation. 

Aye, fair enough - I likely am.  It’s borne of frustration more than anything.  FFP absolutely hamstrings us, and even a dozen of these smaller deals would likely cover a player’s wages for a season.  

In totally going off in the wrong thread here but w/e. 

final point on this subject from is for a club which loves to talk about FFP and how hamstrung we are by it we’ve don remarkably little to either challenge it or ease the situation. I wrote a post a few days ago in the PIF thread echoing similar sentiments but now I think about the sponsor side in no detail and consider how every transfer window FFP is brought up on a scale never seen before it really has me scratching my head wondering. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

final point on this subject from is for a club which loves to talk about FFP and how hamstrung we are by it we’ve don remarkably little to either challenge it or ease the situation. I wrote a post a few days ago in the PIF thread echoing similar sentiments but now I think about the sponsor side in no detail and consider how every transfer window FFP is brought up on a scale never seen before it really has me scratching my head wondering. 

Likewise mate.  It’s irritated me thinking about it because I that Howe really does need reinforcements, and I don’t think they’ll be coming (and if they are, they won’t be significant).  No other club talks about FFP as much.

7 hours ago, brummie said:

You've clearly not seen his recent performances for us, he's been our best player on more than one occasion recently.

That's fair enough. Most times I saw him play he looked absolutely gassed and was moaning in the press about lack of playing time. How has Moreno been since? Started off very bright for you lot if I recall 

Edited by Menace

2 hours ago, r0cafella said:

I think it's brought up to downplay the idea we have a huge budget, never a good thing to tell other clubs you are flash with cash and also it's a reality and something we have to adhere to

FFP exists and as a result we have to play by the rules

As for doing something about it? I disagree that we haven't done anything. The Sela sponsorship, the noon sponsorship, the multiple official partners, the Adidas deal etc is all part of doing something about

Very basic calculations but that's probably an increase of £60m in revenue and no doubt we'll continue drive that revenue up. That's the sensible approach rather than just going to court (this should always be a final resort) 

4 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I think it's brought up to downplay the idea we have a huge budget, never a good thing to tell other clubs you are flash with cash and also it's a reality and something we have to adhere to

FFP exists and as a result we have to play by the rules

As for doing something about it? I disagree that we haven't done anything. The Sela sponsorship, the noon sponsorship, the multiple official partners, the Adidas deal etc is all part of doing something about

Very basic calculations but that's probably an increase of £60m in revenue and no doubt we'll continue drive that revenue up. That's the sensible approach rather than just going to court (this should always be a final resort) 

Bro, I appreciate the response and agree to an extent. My point is we can and should have done much more as I’ve outlined in other posts. 

if we are to achieve the aims stated publicly we will require a lot of Investment and quickly. 

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Bro, I appreciate the response and agree to an extent. My point is we can and should have done much more as I’ve outlined in other posts. 

if we are to achieve the aims stated publicly we will require a lot of Investment and quickly. 

I hear you but I just feel going down the route of challenging FFP is a long winded and murky road

I'm not necessarily against that approach as I can see how decent lawyers highlight the flaws

I just prefer the approach we are taking, it's gradual and more organic (just to clarify, it at least feels more organic, I'm not naive to why we ha e Sela/Noon)

Guest reefatoon
11 hours ago, Ben said:

I used to love transfer windows me, but with the big clubs snookering everyone with daft FFP rules it's tedious as fuck now. Fuckin renting players man !! 

Nobody can build quality teams anymore and we are left with the same boring players getting extended contracts, festering away in defensive teams that eventually nobody will want to watch.

Agree with you. Transfer windows were always an exciting time (well apart from under Ashley) as bringing in new players is all part of the excitement of football. Take that away and it is tedious as fuck. Nobody wants to hear that we can’t afford this or we can’t afford that

24 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I hear you but I just feel going down the route of challenging FFP is a long winded and murky road

I'm not necessarily against that approach as I can see how decent lawyers highlight the flaws

I just prefer the approach we are taking, it's gradual and more organic (just to clarify, it at least feels more organic, I'm not naive to why we ha e Sela/Noon)

To clarify in not asking we go down the route of legally challenging it, it’s politically not feasible for us to do so imo. 

What I’ve been referring to is the amount of low hanging fruit we haven’t taken advantage of. I’m all for us boxing clever but we should have given ourselves more leeway, instead we hear about the FFP limitations constantly whilst we don’t do what we can within the rules that exist. 

20 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

To clarify in not asking we go down the route of legally challenging it, it’s politically not feasible for us to do so imo. 

What I’ve been referring to is the amount of low hanging fruit we haven’t taken advantage of. I’m all for us boxing clever but we should have given ourselves more leeway, instead we hear about the FFP limitations constantly whilst we don’t do what we can within the rules that exist. 

Its frustrating some of the value for money signings other clubs like West Ham, Fulham and Aston Villa have made in foreign markets and we haven't capitalised. 

2 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Apologies, probably would have helped if I read the earlier posts.

On the training ground/stadium sponsor I get the feeling they're leaving these as last resorts. Sponsoring the stadium will cause ructions, from outside and even within the fanbase, so why make such a move if you are still increasing your revenue in other areas.

I do agree with you there is scope to do more but I don't see it as them being unwilling, just rather they want to make it look more organic and therefore it attracts less attention. 

That's just how I see it, could be totally wrong but think 3-5 years we'll have done a lot more in this area.

2 hours ago, aussiemag said:

Its frustrating some of the value for money signings other clubs like West Ham, Fulham and Aston Villa have made in foreign markets and we haven't capitalised. 

I tried to make this point in another thread (or was it this one?). Apart from the Kuol type signings - most of our recent transfers are expensive for what they are.

I think long-term, they are less risky. Big fee, youngish player + relatively cheap wages, is expensive for FFP in the short-term but long-term we should have good resale value, easier to shift if they flop and the expense of the fees decreases with contract extensions.

But short-term with our thin squad... it's expensive stuff.

Edited by The College Dropout

3 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

The problem is that all the other clubs know how FFP works, know what our income streams etc are and how much they’re likely to be, and what our outgoings are.  If we’re playing poker with FFP, it’s like showing your opponent your hand and then saying ‘yeah but really that’s not the cards I’ve got’.  There is no smoke and mirrors, unfortunately 

16 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Anyone still think the Saudi League is going to be a big success?

Early days I know, but the sixth highest average attendance (7854) is less than the number then went along with me to Orient v Wycombe the other night. Al-Hilal are top with 53pts from 19 games, 2nd place is 46, 3rd 40, 4th 34. 19pts clear of fourth after 19 games.

Isn’t this all exactly what most of us said would happen?

Unless they start blowing unimagineable money for Mbappe etc, then no, it wont take off.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The problem is that all the other clubs know how FFP works, know what our income streams etc are and how much they’re likely to be, and what our outgoings are.  If we’re playing poker with FFP, it’s like showing your opponent your hand and then saying ‘yeah but really that’s not the cards I’ve got’.  There is no smoke and mirrors, unfortunately 

It's a moving target and our financial figures are only published once a year - some time removed from the actual date. So nobody outside the club will know for a fact and some of it will be fluid (competition money, bonuses etc.)

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

It's a moving target and our financial figures are only published once a year - some time removed from the actual date. So nobody outside the club will know for a fact and some of it will be fluid (competition money, bonuses etc.)

They'll not know for a fact but they'll have a pretty good idea.

4 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

On the training ground/stadium sponsor I get the feeling they're leaving these as last resorts. Sponsoring the stadium will cause ructions, from outside and even within the fanbase, so why make such a move if you are still increasing your revenue in other areas.

Just have PIF create a new subsidiary called St James. No apostrophe, it's different :) Even Infinite Athletic got approved in the end.

Edited by Teslact

3 hours ago, Disco said:

Potential to be a bargain if they get him for anywhere near that.

looks like somebody is trapped in his Adam’s Apple 

3 hours ago, Disco said:

Potential to be a bargain if they get him for anywhere near that.

Anywhere near what ? It's just a load of Egyptian hieroglyphics