Other clubs' transfers

Greg

2 hours ago, janpawel said:

Bit jealous of Villa, maybe a fairly unpopular opinion but I really rate Onana, or at least what we can offer in a good team with a good coach

Huge, fast, athletic, eats up space when defending transitions, and is quite ambitious with his passing albiet deffo can be improved 

Always thought a midfield 3 of Onana at the base, Bruno and then a more attacking midfielder as the other 8 would he such a good midfielder, with Bruno dropping deep to help orchestrate distribution 

I think people overlook this when they offer negative opinions on him. He looks a tidy footballer to me, I also think he could be a good foil for someone like Bruno.

Onana is the type of player you want when you don’t have the ball, not so much when you do have it. Emery will need to improve his technical skills to make him worth the money. Not a signing I’m jealous of.

18 hours ago, gbandit said:

Be astounded if he’s ever considered excellent again. His game is built upon finding space in the final 30 yards and he’s a very good striker of the ball. He’s not good at anything else in my opinion. He’s not a playmaker, he’s not got an all round game

Yeah, think he'a much more a complementary player than a key cog. £60m and £250k a week though.

We suffered in terms of form last season when Boubacar Kamara did his ACL, mostly because as part of that double pivot, he allowed Luiz (whose form also suffered without him) to get forward more and contribute to the game.

Although we have signed Barrenechea from Juventus who looks a solid DM.

It looks as though the Duran to Chelsea dead is getting resurrected (I fucking hope so), which means that the only places i think we still need to look are up front and right back.

I suspect we'll see Moreno and Dendoncker leave, at some point soon, too. And maybe Diego Carlos.

Edited by brummie

If we’d have signed Onana for £50m I’d have been gutted because he’s looked shite so often but I could also see it working for him with the right coach. 

It’s either going to be a massive bargain or he’s gonna be a Van De Beek. 

Edited by St1pe

It’s a big downgrade in a few senses, Luiz is much tidier on the ball. Onana is a good passer but I think he’s got a huge amount of improving to do in order to be a great midfielder. He’s young though so maybe with some top coaching his game will go up a level 

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It’s a big downgrade in a few senses, Luiz is much tidier on the ball. Onana is a good passer but I think he’s got a huge amount of improving to do in order to be a great midfielder. He’s young though so maybe with some top coaching his game will go up a level 

I guess they’ll expect Tielemans to do more of the Luiz role. Downgrade but could be alright. 

48 minutes ago, St1pe said:

If we’d have signed Onana for £50m I’d have been gutted because he’s looked shite so often but I could also see it working for him with the right coach. 

It’s either going to be a massive bargain or he’s gonna be a Van De Beek. 

Hes been playing in a mostly awful Everton side that don’t play to his strengths, he’ll do well at Villa imo. I think he’s pretty underrated..

Edited by Nine

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Yeah they’ve downgraded and we really need to take advantage of their little European sojourn just as they did us last season.

If they think they suffered bad with injuries last term they’re really gonna’ know about it this time. The schedule is brutal when you’re in the CL. Not just the extra game but it’s that you’re playing the highest quality opposition every time.

You ALWAYS have to play your best team and that team ALWAYS has to be at its best. Then when you’ve exhausted yourself doing that you have to play a PL team who’s gonna’ be right in your face, then you get drawn to City in the cup where you have to be at your best again. It’s unrelenting, and Villa are gonna’ find that out. 

Not sure we've downgraded at all. Luiz was poor the second half of last season.

We've added Illing-Junior, Barrenechea from Juventus, Onana and Maatsen at left back, Ross Barkley and, err, Dobbin, plus some Serbian right back.

We've got Mings, Kamara (who was our most important player until his injury), Jacob Ramsey and Buendia coming back from long term injury (they managed about 3 games between them last season), too, and it's only the middle of July.

The point about the CL is true, and that's why we're adding more quality to the squad. I'm happy we've clearly thought about who we want and cracked on with it nice and early, even if it is difficult with PSR. 

It will be hard, yes, but what's the point if you don't have a go at it.