Other clubs' transfers

Greg

5 hours ago, Village Idiot said:

Not really. It's been around for quite a while. Now, the club didn't really have a meaningful media strategy until the Bartomeu board (and meaningful might be a stretch, it was more "we want to make millions off this stuff!" rather than how to get there), but the whole thing has failed to get off the ground. The club can use an experienced partner here.

At the end of the day, as an organization there's some things Barça knows how to do, and some that doesn't. One of the good things (there are some!) that Bartomeu did was to bring back commercial activity (merchandise, stores, etc...) fully under the club's control (Nike was running it), but the club does have experience in those areas. It knows how to run stores, manage merchandising licenses, etc... because it has done that for years in some capacity. Making interesting sports documentaries and other TV content? Not so much, and the attempts have been pretty embarassing.

It's an indication of how much money matters these days tbh. I can remember the days when Barcelona refused to allow a sponsor's name to sully their shirt, and that was almost a brand icon in itself. Times move on however, and sentimentality doesn't compete in today's commercial world.

10 hours ago, Village Idiot said:

Also, I'm liking our transfer window a lot. I wish we had this acumen when we actually had money. 

You've spent the most money in Europe despite being skint :lol:

Obviously Lewa will score loads of goals, but can't help but feel that he just can't be worth what you've paid for him. 

6 hours ago, Nobody said:

You've spent the most money in Europe despite being skint :lol:

Obviously Lewa will score loads of goals, but can't help but feel that he just can't be worth what you've paid for him. 

Yeah, I meant it in a "I'm not sure we should be spending so much", rather than "we can't get the money".

Lewandowski is a lot of money for a rather short term signing, but getting a reliable #9 is very expensive. PEA was great last season, but I think the club just doesn't want to rely on him to replicate that kind of form, and there was just nobody on the market (I laughed at all the hype about us getting Haaland) who was younger and which we could afford. Lewa also adds a "I've seen it all" veteran presence on the pitch when both Piqué and Busquets are expected to take a step back this season. 

Laporta is doing exactly the same he did when he first took over, btw. We were also skint at the time after seasons of gross mismanagement, and he spent his way out of that predicament. But he nailed pretty much every big signing: Ronaldinho, Deco, Eto'o...

Edited by Village Idiot

Guest neesy111
7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Why did Laporta get the boot the first time?

his most recent interview he’s talking about loads of players. Maybe he was prompted. 

bernardo silva would be an amazing signing.  

He was cooking the books.

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Why did Laporta get the boot the first time?

his most recent interview he’s talking about loads of players. Maybe he was prompted. 

bernardo silva would be an amazing signing.  

I think it was a bit of the old Gordon Brown v Tony Blair scenario with Sandro Rossell