Other clubs' transfers

Greg

9 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Hes a good player, but crazy fee. Had a good season, but several just as good. 

They always pay crazy fees especially for full backs. Brighton have all the leverage here he’s just signed a new contract. 

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

They always pay crazy fees especially for full backs. Brighton have all the leverage here he’s just signed a new contract. 

They can demand what they want, but its still a daft fee. 

Is a big fee but new contract etc. I think any club that has had one season of a player and they're brilliant and have them on long term deal with plenty left are entitled to put a fuck off price tag on them

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Brighton need to fuck off like if they think they are getting £50m for Cucurella. I like him a lot as a player, but no one's paying that.

What a mad post 

2 hours ago, TRon said:

Brighton need to fuck off like if they think they are getting £50m for Cucurella. I like him a lot as a player, but no one's paying that.

Bought him for £15m and he's got 4 years left. It's not a ridiculous amount in the circumstances imho.

Some talk he's put in a transfer request...

5 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Bought him for £15m and he's got 4 years left. It's not a ridiculous amount in the circumstances imho.

Some talk he's put in a transfer request...

Well that was where I was coming from tbh, yes Brighton are entitled to put a stupidly high price tag on him, he's their player. But now they will have a full back on their hands who wants to be at Man City, and they are willing to pay £40m tops. I think Brighton will compromise, but let's see.

In formal terms, what does a transfer request actually mean? Clubs don’t necessarily have to take any action in response to this do they? Other than recognising that they’ll have an unhappy and demotivated player in the squad unless they sell

5 hours ago, Papavasiliou said:

They're going full Freddy Shepherd to get the money. They'll get it but they're selling their future to do it.

Most of their TV rights for the next few years sold. Half of Barca Studios sold. Pretty sure there's a few other things gone too. 

If this gamble doesn't pay off they'll be fucked. Actually even if it does they still might be.

I don't like these deals, but you're overstating their impact a bit. It's 25% of the broadcasting La Liga revenue, not "most of our TV rights". Barça Studios has't made a single penny in profit since it was setup (and most of the efforts at branded Barça media content have been frankly embarassing), actually bringing in a partner here, with experience in the business, makes sense. But that deal hasn't been closed yet. It really isn't a great asset.

The vision inside the club the past few years (and they might not be wrong) is that TV revenue for the most part is tapped out, and that ultimately commercial revenue will be the largest driver of revenue growth, which is why they are holding off on selling the unit that handles merchandise, stores, etc...  But to to grow commercial you have to win, hence the gamble they're making (which makes me uncomfortable, but I'm a risk-adverse person).

We haven't sold anything else, but if we can't close a deal for Barça Studios I fear they'll sell something more valuable.

Edited by Village Idiot

4 minutes ago, 54 said:

Cucurella handed in a transfer request according to the BBC, as he see's the £50m price tag as unrealistic.

Mad posts suddenly becoming more lucid as the thread evolves.....

6 minutes ago, Village Idiot said:

Also, I'm liking our transfer window a lot. I wish we had this acumen when we actually had money. 

What’s the situation with the salary cap? Are you going to be able to square the circle?

Just now, leffe186 said:

What’s the situation with the salary cap? Are you going to be able to square the circle?

The talk is that if we either close the deal for Barça Studios or sell players (De Jong, particularly) the math will work. I suspect that it's an "and" rather than an "either" but we'll see.

25 minutes ago, Village Idiot said:

I don't like these deals, but you're overstating their impact a bit. It's 25% of the broadcasting La Liga revenue, not "most of our TV rights". Barça Studios has't made a single penny in profit since it was setup (and most of the efforts at branded Barça media content have been frankly embarassing), actually bringing in a partner here, with experience in the business, makes sense. But that deal hasn't been closed yet. It really isn't a great asset.

The vision inside the club the past few years (and they might not be wrong) is that TV revenue for the most part is tapped out, and that ultimately commercial revenue will be the largest driver of revenue growth, which is why they are holding off on selling the unit that handles merchandise, stores, etc...  But to to grow commercial you have to win, hence the gamble they're making (which makes me uncomfortable, but I'm a risk-adverse person).

We haven't sold anything else, but if we can't close a deal for Barça Studios I fear they'll sell something more valuable.

Isn't Barca Studios similar to any other startup? It's not expected to make a profit for the first couple of years anyway until it gets a foothold and builds a bit of a reputation?

Kneejerk reaction is it seems mad to sell that off before it's even gotten going, but I suppose it all depends on the appetite of the board to keep it going. They just might be happy to flush it off to someone else and let them run it and make a little bit hopefully.

37 minutes ago, gbandit said:

In formal terms, what does a transfer request actually mean? Clubs don’t necessarily have to take any action in response to this do they? Other than recognising that they’ll have an unhappy and demotivated player in the squad unless they sell

As far as Im aware it means nothing more than giving the rights to your loyalty bonus should you actually leave.

Seems to be quite a rare thing nowadays.

2 hours ago, Papavasiliou said:

Isn't Barca Studios similar to any other startup? It's not expected to make a profit for the first couple of years anyway until it gets a foothold and builds a bit of a reputation?

Kneejerk reaction is it seems mad to sell that off before it's even gotten going, but I suppose it all depends on the appetite of the board to keep it going. They just might be happy to flush it off to someone else and let them run it and make a little bit hopefully.

Not really. It's been around for quite a while. Now, the club didn't really have a meaningful media strategy until the Bartomeu board (and meaningful might be a stretch, it was more "we want to make millions off this stuff!" rather than how to get there), but the whole thing has failed to get off the ground. The club can use an experienced partner here.

At the end of the day, as an organization there's some things Barça knows how to do, and some that doesn't. One of the good things (there are some!) that Bartomeu did was to bring back commercial activity (merchandise, stores, etc...) fully under the club's control (Nike was running it), but the club does have experience in those areas. It knows how to run stores, manage merchandising licenses, etc... because it has done that for years in some capacity. Making interesting sports documentaries and other TV content? Not so much, and the attempts have been pretty embarassing.

Edited by Village Idiot