Other clubs' transfers

Greg

52 minutes ago, r0cafella said:
3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

How utterly depressing. 

Classic NO post. Player wants to achieve his dream = depressing :lol:

It is depressing. Napoli is a famous old club and a modern giant which is currently storming to an historic title victory, in one of the most culturally influential leagues in the sport's history. Meanwhile they're cruising to the latter stages of the Champions League and have domestic cups still to play for too. Yet according to Osimhen and his 'dream,' they're still all but a feeder club to the PL.

Unless the rest of the quotes reveal he's a Fulham fan, there isn't even a particular club that he so yearns to represent. Just whichever one will pay enough for him to knock about in the most lucrative and most marketed competition around. What romance; I can't wait to see his inscription alongside all the other obscenely expensive Chelsea imports that hung around for a year or two.  

Not that I blame him; who the fuck am I to judge what a person's 'dream' should be? He grew up in poverty so fair play to him if he wants to use his talent to earn as much money as he possibly can; I bet a massive amount of good comes from his success. And, similarly, I can't really knock the PL for becoming one of the most formidable and sustainable brands on the planet. It's just that - from a purely footballing point of view - I think it's a bit depressing that it has the levels of magnetism it does today. 

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It is depressing. Napoli is a famous old club and a modern giant which is currently storming to an historic title victory, in one of the most culturally influential leagues in the sport's history. Meanwhile they're cruising to the latter stages of the Champions League and have domestic cups still to play for too. Yet according to Osimhen and his 'dream,' they're still all but a feeder club to the PL.

Unless the rest of the quotes reveal he's a Fulham fan, there isn't even a particular club that he so yearns to represent. Just whichever one will pay enough for him to knock about in the most lucrative and most marketed competition around. What romance; I can't wait to see his inscription alongside all the other obscenely expensive Chelsea imports that hung around for a year or two.  

Not that I blame him; who the fuck am I to judge what a person's 'dream' should be? He grew up in poverty so fair play to him if he wants to use his talent to earn as much money as he possibly can; I bet a massive amount of good comes from his success. And, similarly, I can't really knock the PL for becoming one of the most formidable and sustainable brands on the planet. It's just that - from a purely footballing point of view - I think it's a bit depressing that it has the levels of magnetism it does today. 

Counter point to your passionate and well written post is, by the time the summer comes he will a likely have achieved all he can in Naples and not to mention; brinkmanship aside Napoli will be absolutely thrilled to get 100m + for him. 

Also, you speak so well about Italy but fail to mention the other side of the coin, which is the massive amounts of racism black players get thrown at them, why would he not want to go to London or even Manchester where it’s culturally diverse and he won’t be abused. 

Throughout my time watching football, we have always had a dominant league, it was Italy then Spain and now England, times change and it’s up to the other leagues to catch up. 

Also, I could never understand why footballers get criticised for moving for money as if this isn’t the norm in any other industry. 

27 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Counter point to your passionate and well written post is, by the time the summer comes he will a likely have achieved all he can in Naples and not to mention; brinkmanship aside Napoli will be absolutely thrilled to get 100m + for him. 

Also, you speak so well about Italy but fail to mention the other side of the coin, which is the massive amounts of racism black players get thrown at them, why would he not want to go to London or even Manchester where it’s culturally diverse and he won’t be abused. 

Throughout my time watching football, we have always had a dominant league, it was Italy then Spain and now England, times change and it’s up to the other leagues to catch up. 

Also, I could never understand why footballers get criticised for moving for money as if this isn’t the norm in any other industry. 

All really fair points.

My view on it all is a bit muddled really, particularly when (digressing a bit...) you throw NUFC's possible future into the mix.  Even the neutral in me, which developed during the Bruce years, felt a sense of "really?" when Botman chose us over AC Milan. Like Bruno, he's referred to the PL as being his principal motivation for signing; lucky for them they've discovered on the job how special NUFC is on its own.

But yeah, I dislike the fact that so much seems to filter towards the Premier League, but then again I totally accept the point in your third paragraph. 

I suppose the worry with this revolution is that it feels very permanent (that the PL would be the dominant league); yes, the onus is on Serie A etc to catch up, but is there really any way they can at this point? Maybe they can start with turning the mics round to face the crowd rather than the pitch. [A reference to another whinge from a few nights back lel]

It's one reason why the idea of Man City having titles docked or being demoted is laughable; it would be massively damaging for the PL brand in the same way Calciopoli exposed Italian football as a corrupt joke.

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

All really fair points.

My view on it all is a bit muddled really, particularly when (digressing a bit...) you throw NUFC's possible future into the mix.  Even the neutral in me, which developed during the Bruce years, felt a sense of "really?" when Botman chose us over AC Milan. Like Bruno, he's referred to the PL as being his principal motivation for signing; lucky for them they've discovered on the job how special NUFC is on its own.

But yeah, I dislike the fact that so much seems to filter towards the Premier League, but then again I totally accept the point in your third paragraph. 

I suppose the worry with this revolution is that it feels very permanent (that the PL would be the dominant league); yes, the onus is on Serie A etc to catch up, but is there really any way they can at this point? Maybe they can start with turning the mics round to face the crowd rather than the pitch. [A reference to another whinge from a few nights back lel]

It's one reason why the idea of Man City having titles docked or being demoted is laughable; it would be massively damaging for the PL brand in the same way Calciopoli exposed Italian football as a corrupt joke.

Fantastic post as usual Yorks. 

I think they definitely can catch up, will they probably not. 

One of the premier leagues biggest strengths is actually the unity of the member clubs. They generally move in lockstep which makes getting things done much easier. 

It’s not so long ago a club like Parma had world class players like Crespo, football is always evolving and unlikely most things recently we got it right and have gained a massive lead. Whilst other clubs were spending  money on players British clubs were investing in better more stadium and creating a brand in the premier league which is unmatched. 

Fan experience is important, who wants to watch a game where the running track separates the fans from the pitch? The sound mixing as you mentioned is often dog shit in the international leagues, it’s the passion that draws people in display it. 

Unfortunately in this life it’s adapt or be left behind.  

Tbf, playing in the Premier League was the dream of the vast majority of Nigerian young footballers, well before the last few years. For my generation and younger, it is very rare to care about the destitute local league, especially for someone like him, growing up in Lagos. Premiership has almost always had the best African players and almost always been the most readily available even to those with lower income. Osimhen idolised Drogba and definitely supported Chelsea. Africans have always had a preference for this league. The amount of South Americans and Europeans from strong leagues who now dream of the league is more of a new development.

Edited by Segun Oluwaniyi

Osimhen seems to be one of those players who all the top clubs will be trying to sign, we are probably still a couple of years away from being able to entice the likes of this calibre of player, unless they are still (relatively) unknown over here, like Bruno.

It's not like Osimhen will swap Napoli for Fulham.... but he could swap for Chelsea who are unlikely to even play in Europe.

Agree with Segun, the PL is massive in Nigeria and has been for some time and there's obviously a huge Nigerian population in the UK. It's a much better fit than Italy.

What was genuinely depressing was Ajax captains joining Mike Ashley era NUFC.

59 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It's not like Osimhen will swap Napoli for Fulham.... but he could swap for Chelsea who are unlikely to even play in Europe.

Agree with Segun, the PL is massive in Nigeria and has been for some time and there's obviously a huge Nigerian population in the UK. It's a much better fit than Italy.

What was genuinely depressing was Ajax captains joining Mike Ashley era NUFC.

Aye, I always find it sad when top players from the likes of Ajax, Sporting Lisbon and that ilk wind up in mid-table to lower Premier League clubs, but I guess the Premier League and TV has created the product and fans over here and abroad are happy to pay for it. 

4 hours ago, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

Tbf, playing in the Premier League was the dream of the vast majority of Nigerian young footballers, well before the last few years. For my generation and younger, it is very rare to care about the destitute local league, especially for someone like him, growing up in Lagos. Premiership has almost always had the best African players and almost always been the most readily available even to those with lower income. Osimhen idolised Drogba and definitely supported Chelsea. Africans have always had a preference for this league. The amount of South Americans and Europeans from strong leagues who now dream of the league is more of a new development.

Happy to concede that it might be unfair to use specifically Osimhen as a lightning rod for my accusations of "isn't everything depressing," but even so I still think it's a relevant example, if indirectly.

He might have more 'romantic' notions of Chelsea than I gave him credit for, but it's ironic that - even then - they only exist because outrageous external spending (i.e. the root cause of the imbalance I'm ultimately lamenting) provided Chelsea with Didier Drogba.

Not to mention him publicly pining for their affections in the middle of the aforementioned incredible season. :lol:

20 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It's incredible the amount of quality players Brighton have and have sold. 

If they all just stayed, they could easily make CL in my opinion! 

And also, living in Brighton myself, it's a great place to live for the players. I'd definitely want a transfer there if I was in a miserable place like Stoke or something haha 

10 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

It's incredible the amount of quality players Brighton have and have sold. 

If they all just stayed, they could easily make CL in my opinion! 

And also, living in Brighton myself, it's a great place to live for the players. I'd definitely want a transfer there if I was in a miserable place like Stoke or something haha 

Brighton’s great, I used to live in Haywards Heath. I never loved Brighton in the way I loved Newcastle and Edinburgh where I’d lived too. However, it’s got some great restaurants, it’s so close to the downs and it’s on the coast so it’s got loads going for it 

14 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I know it's the nature of the beast but Brighton could easily become what Southampton were if they keep selling like that. Just takes one poor summer in the transfer market and all the good work is undone and they're fighting relegation.

Soton owners sold up. Bloom is a genuine fan.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Soton owners sold up. Bloom is a genuine fan.

He might be, but we've seen to a lesser extent us when we have a market cornered and then other clubs cotton on, plus Swansea, then Southampton...

Just takes one transfer window of selling another 2-3 of the stars and a window where the signings don't click, and a club like that drops 7-8 places down the table.