Other clubs' transfers

Greg

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Technique, pace, all round game.  That was prime Welbeck. 

Without the injuries he would have 100 PL goals imo

Sure, I think he has a lot of features of the original Welbeck. I do think he’s got more technical ability than Welbeck did but overall, he’s like a slightly improved version of the original model. Or at least, I think he has the potential to be. I completely agree on Welbeck, I don’t think he was ever going to be a natural goal scorer as he wasn’t an amazing striker of the ball but he had so much to his game that he would make up for it 

I think he had good shooting technique. I think Welbeck's biggest issue goalscoring wise was (1) all his finishes seemed impromptu. He didn't have a "finish". Which meant he could score good and odd goals but every shot seemed unique. A lot of the best strikers strike the ball with a similar technique or have a favoured  shot. (2) Did too much work outside the box / didn't have that finishers instinct in the box. Under a coach like Emery or Ancelotti, told to keep his game simpler - I wonder if he would've had a better goalscoring streak.

I think Isak has that low-drilled shot down to near perfection. Which is great. And Wilson has that goalscorers sniff. Love that for us.

8 hours ago, Nine said:

Arsenal got so unlucky with that generation of players injury wise, the likes of Wilshere and Welbeck careers ruined before they even got started 

Wasn’t Welbeck a Man U youth player and went to Arsenal later? 

9 hours ago, Ace said:

Wasn’t Welbeck a Man U youth player and went to Arsenal later? 

He was, he joined Arsenal when he was 21 I think. I didn’t mean specifically academy players just their younger players in general. Diaby is another good example.

25 minutes ago, Nine said:

He was, he joined Arsenal when he was 21 I think. I didn’t mean specifically academy players just their younger players in general. Diaby is another good example.

He was a fair bit older than that I think. 

Was still annoyed when he was sold. Welbeck was an excellent player. 

35 minutes ago, Nine said:

“The 23-year-old England international forward joins Arsenal from Manchester United, where he made a total of 142 appearances, scoring 29 goals. Since making his senior debut in 2008, Welbeck has also won 25 England caps”

https://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140902/arsenal-sign-england-forward-welbeck

I didn’t think Man Utd gave him much of a chance at the time, if I recall correctly, but 142 appearances isn’t too bad. 

I stand corrected then, I thought he left Man United earlier than that. He’s one of those players that feel like he’s been around forever and still only 32.

12 minutes ago, Manxst said:

I didn’t think Man Utd gave him much of a chance at the time, if I recall correctly, but 142 appearances isn’t too bad. 

Fergie loved him. Gave him plenty of minutes. 

Moyes sold him straight away. 

7 hours ago, Nine said:

Fair enough, he was 23 when he moved though not 21 just checked 

I hope he goes somewhere that's not a complete joke of a competition - the MLS would be nice indeed, but my bet is the Saudis, the money is way too silly to refuse.

Anyway, I know he has a (deserved) reputation to be a bit of a tosser, but he was one of the best holding midfielders of his time, and a key to our success. He's still an incredibly smart player that can be very useful in a less demanding league. 

Edited by Village Idiot

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Busquets has been past it at the highest level for some years. Slyly been holding Spain and Barca back.

Agree tbh. Don't think Barca get all those embarrassing beatings in Europe with a more mobile player there

18 hours ago, triggs said:

Agree tbh. Don't think Barca get all those embarrassing beatings in Europe with a more mobile player there

I don't think it's solely on him. The issue was playing too many unathletic players in the defensive unit. If we'd surrounded Busquets with pace we'd been fine - instead we played him with Piqué and Lenglet.