Other clubs' transfers

Greg

4 hours ago, Manxst said:

He was 33? It was only the 20/21 season. Lewandowski is an awesome finisher, but they’re pretty comparable I’d say. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that a 30 year old prime Kane could do it. He hit 30 this year in a harder league and in a lesser team 

And Bayern on an average score 3 goals per game in the Bundesliga. I do think Kane can get close to that 41 number, if not equal or beat it. 

2 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Mings leaving then? Doubt they'll play together as they're both left footed.

Nah, there's no way Mings would be off.

He was absolutely imperious under Emery last season. Mind you, so was Konsa for long periods.

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

They're both 30 or so. May as well cash in on them if they've got the money to bring Rice in

Partey has been good but Rice is on another level entirely. Xhaka had a good season but it was a bit like an impression of an attacking midfielder, don't think you could bank that he would do that again. 

2 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Three seasons, 19 league goals in 90 league games for Chelsea.

Its not like he has been playing in a poor team either? ( This season apart)

The great Ancelotti once commented that Chelsea is a graveyard for strikers not named Drogba, and one should never rate a striker based on how they performed for Chelsea. 

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

This is a really boring take and does nothing for the generally frenzied discourse around transfers: but, in cases like this (where the player is clearly extremely talented), I don't think you can really make any conclusions about their transfer fee until you're in a position to judge their impact.

There are some signings where it's obvious that someone has overpaid (eg Drinkwater, Torres) or got a bargain (eg Trippier) but when you're at this scale, it all depends on the outcome. If they win the league within the next two or three years with Rice at the base of the midfield, then it's been value for money. If they drift back into the sub-title race for 4th over the next few years, you wonder what the point was. 

You can acknowledge the gamble given the amount but I don't think anyone can say they've overpaid, yet. 

The key is what is the real Arsenal - the one which gave an impressive title challenge for the first 30 to 32 games or the one which collapsed in the last 6-8 games. Assuming last season's title challenge is not a one-off, it is very difficult to find value-for-money signings when you are at that level. You have to overpay to generate that delta which helps you overcome that gap between finishing second and first. And that gap is particularly hard competing against City and Pep. 

Everyone had exactly the same comments when we overpaid for VVD. To be fair, I was also thinking WTF are we doing? But we needed that investment to help us win the CL and PL. 

I think the collapse Arsenal is realer than the challenger Arsenal. But then again, Rice is an amazing signing. Obviously they still won't win the league because Pep exists. 

Transfers should only be judged on the need for the player and the fit. The fee is very secondary IMO. If Rice is what they need to go to the next level, and they have £100m to spend, it's a great signing. 

Like Grealish, £100m was 'too much', but Man City only identify a handful of players who will add value to their squad and he was one of them. So nobody really needs to care if he was too expensive. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

28 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Unfortunately for Arsenal they have Arteta at the helm. He was one of the main deciding factors in them not pushing harder for the title in the end. He needs to learn to keep his shit together on the sidelines and set a better precedent from the top if they ever want to actually win the whole thing with him there. 

You're not wrong ... however he was also the reason they were there in the first place. Annoying as he might be he is a very good coach and manager.

His work with the likes of Martinelli, Saka and Odegaard in particular has been top notch.

The decision he made last year to have Xhaka push further forward and not sit deep lumbering on the ball and making errors was also huge and made a massive impact.

12 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Partey dropped off massively in the second half of the season, had some real shockers

True. The loss of Saliba was the killer for them though. Brought a new level of calm and assuredness to them defensively.

I think adding both Rice and Timber further helps them in those areas.

1 minute ago, Viewfromtheafternoon said:

Mings bench then? Rarely see 2 left footed centre halfs in a back 4

I think he's looking at it in terms of increasing the quality available in as many areas as possible, and whoever earns the start, gets it.

Torres, Mings, Konsa and Diego Carlos as centre half options is very good.

Now we need a back up keeper, a right back and a wide player.

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

He’s going there, like. Absolutely perfect for them. We won’t pay the release clause.

I feel like we’ll end up in a worse position squad-wise relative to our competitors this season. 

It felt even more like that last summer when Liverpool were buying Nunez and Luiz and we were struggling to buy Ekiteke. For us to compete with royalty football clubs, we have to be really smart with our recruitment.

It feels like Tonali might turn out to be another Isak type inspired signing, it just depends how many more rabbits we can pull out of the hat.

3 minutes ago, brummie said:

I think he's looking at it in terms of increasing the quality available in as many areas as possible, and whoever earns the start, gets it.

Some signing Torres mind, Be one of the best CBs in the league IMO.

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

He’s going there, like. Absolutely perfect for them. We won’t pay the release clause.

I feel like we’ll end up in a worse position squad-wise relative to our competitors this season. 

That’s not a huge surprise even if we went out and spent huge. There squads where already good before we are still in the building phase 

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

That’s not a huge surprise even if we went out and spent huge. There squads where already good before we are still in the building phase 

Aye, the players that join now will have to buy in to the idea of growing with the club. Even with CL this season. Either way it will be very interesting to see where we are at the end of the window.

Just now, worthy said:

Aye, the players that join now will have to buy in to the idea of growing with the club. Even with CL this season. Either way it will be very interesting to see where we are at the end of the window.

Regardless of what else we do in the window, i still think if we qualify for champions league again it would be a massive overachievement.

13 minutes ago, brummie said:

Is that the best centre back pool to choose from in the league other than Man City?