Other clubs' transfers

Greg

2 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

How thick must Paqueta be to do something like this. Members of his family placed the bets. Really?

Doesn’t the league mandate some sort of training in preseason to ward off this sort of thing? Like flight attendants on a plane? Surely, the clubs must take steps to explain —in the simplest terms possible—  that a player is risking his carrier doing something like this.

Thick as shit.

Prior to the Manchester City rumour, he was still getting paid 100K a week (I'd assume), with a career on an upward trajectory (i.e. young enough for a top move and not declining). 

You'd assume that his money would go much further in Brazil too, rather than the UK.

If you can't take care of family earning that kind of money, I don't know who can.

Pure and simple, it's greed.

Ziyech deal apparently a "free loan" with option for a "free transfer". The guy was never going to be a absolute top tier player, but did look brilliant at Ajax. And now after the Chelsea treatment it's "give him a shot and if you like you can have him for nowt.". What an embarrassment.

14 hours ago, enthusiast said:

Ziyech deal apparently a "free loan" with option for a "free transfer". The guy was never going to be a absolute top tier player, but did look brilliant at Ajax. And now after the Chelsea treatment it's "give him a shot and if you like you can have him for nowt.". What an embarrassment.

As someone that saw a lot of Ziyech, he's a very good player, but I think he's like a few of that Ajax team in the sense he was made to look great by the system. . 

There was a few in that group on the younger side that secured moves but didn't manage to kick on (Donny van De Beek, David Neres, Nicolas Tagliafico). Onana and Matthijs de Ligt are two that may escape that accusation, but de Ligt certainly wasn't great for Juventus.

My belief is strengthened by how good Dusan Tadic and Lasse Schone looked that season, and it's why I'm surprised that Erik ten Hag has Man Utd looking so average even with the ball.

12 minutes ago, Viana said:

As someone that saw a lot of Ziyech, he's a very good player, but I think he's like a few of that Ajax team in the sense he was made to look great by the system. . 

There was a few in that group on the younger side that secured moves but didn't manage to kick on (Donny van De Beek, David Neres, Nicolas Tagliafico). Onana and Matthijs de Ligt are two that may escape that accusation, but de Ligt certainly wasn't great for Juventus.

My belief is strengthened by how good Dusan Tadic and Lasse Schone looked that season, and it's why I'm surprised that Erik ten Hag has Man Utd looking so average even with the ball.

Ten Hag has far too many average overpaid players he needs a clean slate, saying that his transfers have been poor as well.

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Ten Hag has far too many average overpaid players he needs a clean slate, saying that his transfers have been poor as well.

Malacia - signed as backup full back. Played well majority of the games he's played. Success. 

Casemiro - remains to be seen if his legs are going this year, but he was most certainly a success based on last year. 

Martinez - huge success.

Eriksen - huge success. 

Mount, Onana, Hojlund - combined total of 331 minutes so far. Far too early to judge any of these players. 

Antony - dog water

Would say it's harsh to call his transfers poor. 80% hit rate unless you're writing off players after two games. 

10 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Malacia - signed as backup full back. Played well majority of the games he's played. Success. 

Casemiro - remains to be seen if his legs are going this year, but he was most certainly a success based on last year. 

Martinez - huge success.

Eriksen - huge success. 

Mount, Onana, Hojlund - combined total of 331 minutes so far. Far too early to judge any of these players. 

Antony - dog water

Would say it's harsh to call his transfers poor. 80% hit rate unless you're writing off players after two games. 

Bit of a stretch to say Martinez and Eriksen are huge successes, Man City are spending similar amounts and I would consider their signings huge successes 

Just now, Ben said:

Bit of a stretch to say Martinez and Eriksen are huge successes, Man City are spending similar amounts and I would consider their signings huge successes 

Eriksen was free and Martinez was brilliant last year. 

I'm not saying we've had better windows that anybody else, but Ten Hag's signings haven't been poor at all. Antony aside of course. 

On 11/08/2023 at 06:34, r0cafella said:

Would love to get @rgk_lfcvery insightful thoughts on all of this. 

Sorry. Been very busy the past month. New job and recently became a dad :). Football is a bit low on my list of priorities for the next few months. I honestly have nothing insightful to add other than bewilderment. 

I have no clue why we went all in for Caicedo. I have posted here that one needs to be careful about spending huge sums of money on players from clubs that play in well-defined systems, such as Brighton, Dortmund, RB, etc. There will always be exceptions, such as Haaland, Lewa, and Gundogan, but for the most part, they won't live up to the price tag. Caicedo is a great player, but not sure about breaking the British transfer record for him. The part I don't like is our consistent attempts at trying to sign players who are obviously going to other clubs - Tchouameni, Bellingham, Caicedo, and now Lavia also. 

I am very happy about the Mac Allister and Szoboszlai purchases. We still need a number 6. Endo can be a stopgap. We also have a collection of youngsters - Harvey Elliott, Bajcetic, Curtis Jones - who all have shown that they belong to the premier league but are still unsure if we rely on them over the season for a top 4 finish. Definitely expecting a season in transition.