Other clubs' transfers

Greg

24 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Hosting a World Cup is short-sighted.

The end game should be to have the premier club competition. If not the Saudi league, a competition involving Saudi teams. Logistics limits the wider appeal of a club world cup. It has to be in the summer or winter but that's a short amount of time. But i think that could be a short-term measure. La Liga already plays a Super Cup competition in KSA. Why not have another small competition with the Saudi teams during Christmas + the La Liga teams? Then slowly expand that competition.

I think the end game is a year-round competition involving Saudi teams that runs alongside domestic league competitions. I think that starts with changing the Spanish Super Cup to include KSA teams.

I'm sure something longer sustaining is in mind, but there's no bigger event than the World Cup and the fact a smaller Middle East country hosted it first probably annoys them. They will want to be the showcase of the world for a month and then continue building from there.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Am I the only one thinking he's not actually that good ? I mean compared to prime Ronaldo (both) or Messi types.

We posted something similar at the same time. I agree, he's obviously very good but for me, wouldn't even make my top 20. Then again I have a preference for artistic, truly creative players of yesteryear, rather than these video-game-fast types of the modern game.

He's clearly brilliant like. Using Messi and Ronaldo as a yardstick to measure others by seems a bit harsh :lol: There's fair chance we won't say players of that level again in our lifetime. 

41 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

$776M salary for one year. Absolutely outrageous. 

IMG_3298.jpeg

The Saudis are stark raving bonkers if they are contemplating deals like that.

2 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Sounds delightful. However probably means Skintventus have to pay cash for Lindstrom whilst getting nowt from us until next year. Unlikely to happen.

Ah, so you are saying we should buy Lindstrom, loan him to Juve then get Chiesa on loan with an option to buy. Jobs a goodun. 

2 hours ago, Decky said:

Do people not know that Israeli teams play in UEFA competitions, as well as the national team? The door is definitely not closed on Saudi teams joining. 

Aye, but the reason they play in Europe should be quite clear to anyone who has passed GCSE Geography and Religious studies.

33 minutes ago, madras said:

Am I the only one thinking he's not actually that good ? I mean compared to prime Ronaldo (both) or Messi types.

Probably the best player in the world at the moment though and the best of his generation.

Better than Haaland, KDB etc.

And his World Cup exploits means he's already a living legend. Nobody in his generation is coming close at the moment.

1 hour ago, Miggys First Goal said:

$776M salary for one year. Absolutely outrageous. 

IMG_3298.jpeg

Criminal when there are starving people in this world to even contemplate paying a footballer that much money.  Sicking.

Just now, RobsonsWonderland said:

I don't think anyone can defend this argument.

I mean I bet PSG would have snapped their hands off for a 100 million maybe 150…,

I guess they just made sure man city or Chelsea could not match them

Even 'if' they could match a lower bid not a chance they'd match the wages.

45 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Probably the best player in the world at the moment though and the best of his generation.

Better than Haaland, KDB etc.

And his World Cup exploits means he's already a living legend. Nobody in his generation is coming close at the moment.

Mbappe's probably the football equivalent of whoever is going to be the best tennis player over the next decade. We've had the Ronaldo/Messi/Federer/Nadal/Djokovic era, he's still world class just not their level.