Other clubs' transfers

Greg

37 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Such a strange career. From close to breaking through to our first team, to going way way down the pyramid and then back up to SPL

I thought he had a lot of potential when I saw clips from the reserves but it just shows how tough it is to make it and translate it into the senior game 

Guest HTT II

Kasper has been a top ‘keeper and obviously a Leicester legend, not quite as good as his dad, but easily one of the better PL ‘keepers of the last decade or so.

Edited by HTT II

45 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye he's been a very good keeper for Leicester. Imagine telling him when he signed for them that by the end of his time there he'd have won the Premier League, the FA Cup and reached the last 8 of the Champions League.

And got to a Euros semi final

21 hours ago, 54 said:

Scammacca is one of Italy's few true talents in attack. He is essentially a knock-off Ibrahimovic. I'm not sure if West Ham is the best place for him. 

I think he will flop for West Ham despite his talent. He has an absolute cannon of a right foot, does the sort of dirty work you'd want from your CF, isn't as good with his head as you'd think, but isn't weak. I just think West Ham is a weird fit.

I'm also shocked at how low the salaries are in the EPL, considering what you all pay for players--it seems that English teams put way more money into transfers than they do for salaries. Obviously, the average salary in the EPL is higher than in other leagues, but this narrative has taken hold among Milan fans that we are being outgunned, financially, when time-and-again, it has been shown that we walk away from deals over "a few million."

The worrying thing is that PSG are now run by someone who is actually competent. They turned down Scammacca over a few million and went and got Ekitike for less money. If that was Milan, they would have said that we lost out on Scammacca over a few million, when in reality, the smarter thing to do is to walk away once the other club is asking too much.

I get the sense that Newcastle is doing the same, you don't seem to be pulling the trigger as people thought you would.

34 minutes ago, Milanista said:

I'm also shocked at how low the salaries are in the EPL, considering what you all pay for players--it seems that English teams put way more money into transfers than they do for salaries. Obviously, the average salary in the EPL is higher than in other leagues, but this narrative has taken hold among Milan fans that we are being outgunned, financially, when time-and-again, it has been shown that we walk away from deals over "a few million."

Wut? There are nearly 100 players earning £100k per week or more according to:

https://www.capology.com/uk/premier-league/salaries/ (24 of which earn £200kpw or more). Haven’t checked, but what is this like compared to Italy then? 

According to the Telegraph, there are 'showdown' talks going on between Ronaldo and Man U, and the club are insisting that he should stay. 

This is bonkers. Is it possible that there's something in a sponsorship deal, or the contracts around the pre-season friendlies, that Ronaldo should play? I can't think why else Man U should want to make a stand over this. The player wants to go, and it's not going to do anyone any good if this drags on.

5 minutes ago, Cronky said:

According to the Telegraph, there are 'showdown' talks going on between Ronaldo and Man U, and the club are insisting that he should stay. 

This is bonkers. Is it possible that there's something in a sponsorship deal, or the contracts around the pre-season friendlies, that Ronaldo should play? I can't think why else Man U should want to make a stand over this. The player wants to go, and it's not going to do anyone any good if this drags on.

Shirt sales and the fact he scored the most winners in the league lady season,they'd be out in the group stages if he wasnt there

15 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Wut? There are nearly 100 players earning £100k per week or more according to:

https://www.capology.com/uk/premier-league/salaries/ (24 of which earn £200kpw or more). Haven’t checked, but what is this like compared to Italy then? 

Serie A teams, in general, pay players less. I've just kept hearing about this whole "well, a team like Leeds can outbid AC Milan for a player!"

But AC Milan makes more money, per year, than West Ham, Leeds, Leicester, etc--the latest Forbes figures were actually disputed, formally, by the club--and even in our rebuilding phase, we made more money than them. So it's not about spending power, but a conscious decision on the part of Milan to not overpay.

Edit, forgot to add: Yes, EPL teams make insane money from TV revenue. But Milan is projected to make around 300m+ this year, last year, 265m+, which is more than the above clubs, while we are projected to make, at least, 360m next year. Milan being run, y'know, with basic competence has made our revenue grow a lot, who would have thought? Once we build our own stadium, they expect we should add over 100m, per season, alone. 

Italian salaries are reported net, while English ones are reported gross.

With the way things are reported, I didn't expect, Fabinho to only make 5.45m net (euros) for example. Brozovic at Inter makes 6m, for comparison.

Until he renewed at 7.3m, Rodri was making 3.75m, which again, is not an insane amount--and not an absurd overpay in comparison to Brozovic, or his midfield partners in Barella (5m) and Calhanoglu (5m+1m bonuses). With the way EPL salaries are reported, you'd imagine the gulf would be huge.

That's all. I just think it's weird that Leeds is offering 37m for Charles De Ketelaere but are offering him less money than Milan, salary-wise.

Another example, Ziyech from Chelsea makes 3m net, but the more stupid Italian journalists are saying that his 6m net salary is the problem for Milan to pursue him, but that's because they think English clubs report their salaries as net, as well. These are obviously the less... sophisticated journalists in Italy.

I think English clubs overpay in transfer fees. Newcastle might be one of the more sensible clubs. 

Edited by Milanista

13 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Man Utd actually thinks about the media exposure, that's why they have been so poorly run. They finally made a sensible transfer for that LB from Feyenoord and I saw Man Utd fans get mad, because he wasn't expensive. I was confused. Who cares if you got a good deal on him?

It seems like Man Utd fans forget how much they paid for Wan-Bissaka. Or Fred. Or Pogba. Or Sancho. Or Martial. Or... lol. 

I think the salaries depend a lot on where players are signed from and how much they earned there. If for example Bruno made 30-40k a week at Lyon and he gets 3-4 times here it seems like a good deal for him. But if he was already getting 100k a week at France he would be looking for 200k a week deal.

1 hour ago, Milanista said:

Scammacca is one of Italy's few true talents in attack. He is essentially a knock-off Ibrahimovic. I'm not sure if West Ham is the best place for him. 

I think he will flop for West Ham despite his talent. He has an absolute cannon of a right foot, does the sort of dirty work you'd want from your CF, isn't as good with his head as you'd think, but isn't weak. I just think West Ham is a weird fit.

The worrying thing is that PSG are now run by someone who is actually competent. They turned down Scammacca over a few million and went and got Ekitike for less money. If that was Milan, they would have said that we lost out on Scammacca over a few million, when in reality, the smarter thing to do is to walk away once the other club is asking too much.

I get the sense that Newcastle is doing the same, you don't seem to be pulling the trigger as people thought you would.

Absolutely agree with you that it seems a strange fit to go to West Ham. 

8 minutes ago, Milanista said:

Serie A teams, in general, pay players less. I've just kept hearing about this whole "well, a team like Leeds can outbid AC Milan for a player!"

But AC Milan makes more money, per year, than West Ham, Leeds, Leicester, etc--the latest Forbes figures were actually disputed, formally, by the club--and even in our rebuilding phase, we made more money than them. So it's not about spending power, but a conscious decision on the part of Milan to not overpay.

Italian salaries are reported net, while English ones are reported gross.

With the way things are reported, I didn't expect, Fabinho to only make 5.45m net (euros) for example. Brozovic at Inter makes 6m, for comparison.

Until he renewed at 7.3m, Rodri was making 3.75m, which again, is not an insane amount--and not an absurd overpay in comparison to Brozovic, or his midfield partners in Barella (5m) and Calhanoglu (5m+1m bonuses). With the way EPL salaries are reported, you'd imagine the gulf would be huge.

That's all. I just think it's weird that Leeds is offering 37m for Charles De Ketelaere but are offering him less money than Milan, salary-wise.

Another example, Ziyech from Chelsea makes 3m net, but the more stupid Italian journalists are saying that his 6m net salary is the problem for Milan to pursue him, but that's because they think English clubs report their salaries as net, as well. These are obviously the less... sophisticated journalists in Italy.

I think English clubs overpay in transfer fees. Newcastle might be one of the more sensible clubs. 

Who keeps telling you Leeds can outbid AC Milan for a player?

Forbes list of club values had you at #14, above all those clubs you mention. What was the formal dispute? Couldn’t see an article on a quick Google.

I’m not sure I follow your argument. You say that Serie A teams in general pay players less, then say actually you think it’s because the media reports net rather than gross? My guess (before I head to Swiss Ramble) is that the PL TV money allows lower teams to afford relatively higher wage bills than sides at the bottom of Serie A.

21 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Who keeps telling you Leeds can outbid AC Milan for a player?

Forbes list of club values had you at #14, above all those clubs you mention. What was the formal dispute? Couldn’t see an article on a quick Google.

I’m not sure I follow your argument. You say that Serie A teams in general pay players less, then say actually you think it’s because the media reports net rather than gross? My guess (before I head to Swiss Ramble) is that the PL TV money allows lower teams to afford relatively higher wage bills than sides at the bottom of Serie A.

Tifo Football Podcast mentioned it. As do several pundits when talking about the fact that Leeds are offering 37m while we are holding firming between 30-33m.

The formal dispute is over our revenue. I believe they listed it at around 216m while Milan said that last year we made 265m. Forbes valuations of clubs, to me, are just absurd. We just sold 60-70% of our club for 1.2b, when we don't even own a stadium--their valuations of our worth are off, as are their evaluations of our revenues. The lack of stadium ownership in Italy is actually the biggest problem Serie A faces. Milan built San Siro, but the city of Milan owns it.

My argument is that fans believe that EPL teams pay astronomical wages, and that smaller teams can pay more than the top teams in Italy. Which just isn't true. They fixate on the TV revenue as if that is the only place where teams get their revenue.

I think fans compare English salaries, which are gross, versus Italian salaries which are reported net, and then make the wrong conclusions, yes.

Many Milan fans say it is humiliating that we are being outbid by Leeds. They want Maldini to overpay so that we aren't humiliated, and they believe (as does Tifo [who are supposed to be smart guys]) that Leeds are offering more because they have more money than us.

22 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

…for example, this is wages/turnover for the ESL sides. 78% for Milan compares unfavorably with the top PL sides (but probably favorably compared to the bottom.)

Much of the damage to our bottom line comes from the Chinese ownership era where we spent something like 250m on transfers, and nearly all of them were horrific flops. We have been working our way out of that mess, where the club went into default, to our current owners, over a 300m loan the Chinese ownership used to buy the club from Berlusconi. They made new kit deals, which were less than previous ones, and all sorts of other stupid decisions, as well as giving players eye-watering salaries.

Romagnoli, our young captain, was making 12m gross--he cost us more than Ibra, for comparison--as was Donnarumma. Donnarumma was one of the highest paid GKs in the world as a teen. The previous ownership was... horrific. 

Oh that makes more sense, I didn’t realize that you were criticizing other Milan fans for thinking that lower PL clubs pay more in wages, can outbid Milan etc. It is worth looking at the numbers though.

These are the Serie A wage bills from a year or two ago:

And these are the numbers for the Premier League:

Milan does have a lower bill than the top PL sides. And the difference as you go down Serie A is stark when compared to the PL. Clearly the TV deal is a huge factor.