Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd be staggered if Rafa quits Newcastle for a club such as Leicester. Not his style. By all accounts, the two Daves at West Ham promised him the world to become their boss last summer, but he preferred working for Ashley just to stay here.

The way I see it, Rafa realizes how difficult it is to break into the Champions League and neither West Ham nor Leicester have the resources or the pedigree to finish top 4. Sure if the Chelsea, Arsenal, or Spurs jobs were available, he wouldn't think twice about it.

However, right now if the best options are the also-ran clubs that aim to finish seventh, he'd be better off building something at Newcastle. Also part of him, the masochistic and delusional part, probably relishes the battle against Ashley. I think he thrives on that conflict, much like Mourinho.

I think the Leicester job is a better fit for someone like Rodgers anyway, and it's certainly looking probable that they have already tapped him up. The green half of Glasgow would be devastated, I reckon.

He wants to build something here but sadly we have an utter bellend of an owner who does not give a shit about us as a football club!

I'd be staggered if Rafa quits Newcastle for a club such as Leicester. Not his style. By all accounts, the two Daves at West Ham promised him the world to become their boss last summer, but he preferred working for Ashley just to stay here.

The way I see it, Rafa realizes how difficult it is to break into the Champions League and neither West Ham nor Leicester have the resources or the pedigree to finish top 4. Sure if the Chelsea, Arsenal, or Spurs jobs were available, he wouldn't think twice about it.

However, right now if the best options are the also-ran clubs that aim to finish seventh, he'd be better off building something at Newcastle. Also part of him, the masochistic and delusional part, probably relishes the battle against Ashley. I think he thrives on that conflict, much like Mourinho.

I think the Leicester job is a better fit for someone like Rodgers anyway, and it's certainly looking probable that they have already tapped him up. The green half of Glasgow would be devastated, I reckon.

He wouldn’t go back to Chelsea mind

I know people go on about the Liverpool/Everton thing, but Everton are the one club I still worry about going in for him and him being tempted. A couple of poor appointments will make him seem a lot more appealing to their fans than he would have done 2-3 managers ago.

Yeah I agree. Everton are the only club I can see (aside from us) who he’d be tempted by imo as a project. But i just think the Liverpool connection would be too much for both parties.

I still think he’ll stay with us.

Unless Pochettino leaves Spurs. I could see Rafa going there.

I thought that, but then I thought that there’s no money available due to paying off that new stadium and thought that might put him off.

Rafa isn't going to Everton. He adores and is adored by Liverpool and their rivalry with Everton isn't quite the timid family affair many assume. No way would a man of Rafa's principles break that bond.

He will do all he can to stay here, but you know, Ashley  :undecided:

I thought that, but then I thought that there’s no money available due to paying off that new stadium and thought that might put him off.

As long as he could control the funds that were made available, I don't think he'd mind. So if he can make £16m and then wants to spend that on a 32 year old, they let him.

He's moulding shit into gold here - I reckon he might be able to make something work with Kane, Son, Eriksen, Alli, all the fucking rest...

He's moulding shit into gold here - I reckon he might be able to make something work with Kane, Son, Eriksen, Alli, all the fucking rest...

That’s a good point. Think the time and love he’s put into us might count for something though. I’m sure t would be hard to leave.

It's a bit delusional to think he won't accept the Spurs job if Levy offered it. They have shown they are good enough to compete in the Champions League, and I am sure Levy will give him guarantees that no players will be sold. There will be more money available than at Newcastle as well.

The only thing that makes me doubt Levy offering him the job is most Spurs fans, and arguably the board too, will consider themselves too good for him. But I am sure if he is appointed, he'll keep them challenging at the right end of the table.

Nonetheless, it's pretty clear Rafa loves managing Newcastle, I just don't see him giving that up for the pleasure of finishing 7th with West Ham or Leicester.

That’s a good point. Think the time and love he’s put into us might count for something though. I’m sure t would be hard to leave.

been thinking how to post this but even considering the constraints he's been working under he's managed to either buy, develop or improve a nucleus of a team of (no loanees)

dubs

schar

lascelles

lejeune

longstaff

ki

hayden

perez

almiron

EDIT:

also of course not as good as above or fitting the age thing but still considered part of the group

yedlin

dummett

atsu

ritchie

shelvey

that's a squad with age on it's side and development potential that he might want to stick around and work with given some additional resources (which as we all know is key)

point being, he's put 3 years graft into that, he's unlikely to want to walk away from it imo

It's a bit delusional to think he won't accept the Spurs job if Levy offered it. They have shown they are good enough to compete in the Champions League, and I am sure Levy will give him guarantees that no players will be sold. There will be more money available than at Newcastle as well.

The only thing that makes me doubt Levy offering him the job is most Spurs fans, and arguably the board too, will consider themselves too good for him. But I am sure if he is appointed, he'll keep them challenging at the right end of the table.

Nonetheless, it's pretty clear Rafa loves managing Newcastle, I just don't see him giving that up for the pleasure of finishing 7th with West Ham or Leicester.

Don't think Spurs would go for him. Think West Ham are pretty happy with Pellegrini too, he's a good manager and he plays in a very positive style

Don't think Spurs would go for him. Think West Ham are pretty happy with Pellegrini too, he's a good manager and he plays in a very positive style

Yes, I agree. I don't think Levy will appoint him if Pochettino leaves for Real in the summer.

The West Ham ship has sailed (probably), they tried appointing him on multiple occcasions previously and he declined for one reason or the other.

If he leaves, it will be to a club abroad.

point being, he's put 3 years graft into that, he's unlikely to want to walk away from it imo

I don't think he has any actual interest in leaving and starting a project all over again. It's whether he can get what he needs to not be fighting for relegation each season and to create his grand plan to push us much higher up the table. If he can't, he has nothing to prove, so he'll leave.

I don't think he has any actual interest in leaving and starting a project all over again. It's whether he can get what he needs to not be fighting for relegation each season and to create his grand plan to push us much higher up the table. If he can't, he has nothing to prove, so he'll leave.

yeah this is fair

buy a starting striker he wants and some quality fullback cover and he'll stay imo, and we'll be pushing to be best of the rest if he gets them in early enough