Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Voted. Got a sneaky feeling Woy’s going to get it.

Depends on how RTG vote; they love a good vote. I’d give it to Dyce if they get European football. Shouldn’t be Roy, that Palace team should be top half.

Bias obviously  but I think if we do finish in the top 10 ten then Rafa Deffo deserves it ... championship  squad with little investment to have us in the position we are in is nothing short of extraordinary

Bias obviously  but I think if we do finish in the top 10 ten then Rafa Deffo deserves it ... championship  squad with little investment to have us in the position we are in is nothing short of extraordinary

The problem is that the comparison is then with Dyche, whose team just stayed up in 16th place last season and then promptly lost two of their best players. Now they may be in Europe. They spent less on transfers in (35M versus your 36M), had a net transfer spend of -9M versus your +10M, and spend less on wages. I think Dyche just shades it over Rafa.

I'd be tempted to vote for Klopp, but I agree that it's hard to vote for managers who have so many financial advantages. I still think that Klopp would deserve it if they win the CL (although their draw has a great deal to do with it too).

Didn't seem in the best of moods in his presser yesterday. Didn't want to talk about his future, at all.

knows there is no ambition in the ownership of the club.

He said after winning titles and cups all his career he didn't come here just to finish mid-table. He wants to win stuff and he expects the owner to match that ambition. Doesn't trust Ashley one jot, and he's not going to extend his contract unless he gets backed properly this time round.

Guardiola, Dyche, Rafa as the clear top three, surely.

:thup: Probably in that order, and I say that as a general cynic of City/Pep and their financial clout. His achievement just pips Dyche's because - as undoubtedly remarkable as getting Burnley to Europe is - finishing above 'the rest' hasn't been THAT difficult this season. Everyone below 7th has been varying shades of shit for significant stretches of the season. Even Burnley themselves went through a spell where they couldn't buy a win. Pep's City, on the other hand, have been relentless - one of the very best teams the league has ever had.

Rafa is the only contender for third imo.

I think Klopp has a case. What Pep has done in the league has been amazing, but he could essentially buy whoever he wanted over the last couple of years, and when it really mattered he lost the head-to-head with Klopp. The Coutinho transfer distorts the finances somewhat, but Klopp has still managed to build his team without spending ludicrous money. I do think it's between those four, and in the direct comparisons I have Dyche slightly ahead of Rafa in the "working with what you've got" stakes and Klopp slightly ahead of Pep in the "FM 2018" stakes.

I think they've got to give it to Pep if/when City beat the single season points, goals, and goal difference records. It would make a mockery of these achievements otherwise.

Given the glee with which the press greeted Liverpool beating City in the CL, laying into Pep and glossing over the two big offside calls etc., I can easily imagine them giving it to Dyche however.

I think Klopp has a case. What Pep has done in the league has been amazing, but he could essentially buy whoever he wanted over the last couple of years, and when it really mattered he lost the head-to-head with Klopp. The Coutinho transfer distorts the finances somewhat, but Klopp has still managed to build his team without spending ludicrous money. I do think it's between those four, and in the direct comparisons I have Dyche slightly ahead of Rafa in the "working with what you've got" stakes and Klopp slightly ahead of Pep in the "FM 2018" stakes.

Think it's just based on Premier League. I'd definitely give it to Guardiola this season

Didn't seem in the best of moods in his presser yesterday. Didn't want to talk about his future, at all.

He said after winning titles and cups all his career he didn't come here just to finish mid-table. He wants to win stuff and he expects the owner to match that ambition. Doesn't trust Ashley one jot, and he's not going to extend his contract unless he gets backed properly this time round.

I think up until this point, he felt like he had a point to prove. Now it feels like a juncture where if he doesn't get what he wants and walks away no-one will blame him.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa deserves to be in contention, but to be fair of the 3 promoted clubs we as a club should not be going down so staying up although a real achievement given the owner, lack of spending and the lack of quality in our squad, is to be expected. Pep has won the title in some style and by some margin, but he’s been able to do that by spending huge sums and they were already a decent team. He deserves huge credit though because he’s transformed them into a machine. Roy has done a great job at Palace IMO, 7 straight loses and no goals scored, yes he’s had time, but they were Pardewed like we were and as we know that takes some getting over. Dyche has done amazing as well and again deserves huge praise. It has to be him. Me I’d give it to either Hughton or Huddersfield’s manager if they stay up.

I think up until this point, he felt like he had a point to prove. Now it feels like a juncture where if he doesn't get what he wants and walks away no-one will blame him.

No one would blame him. Two years (or three if he sees out the final year) is long enough for a world class manager to tread water.

I'm actually a bit annoyed, he was quite angry with the team last time and spoke of making changes, and they turned out to be starting two of our worst players.

Doesn't really have the squad to do much else. Only other thing he could have done was bring in Merino but Shlevey and Diame have done very well together since Christmas.

Got it wrong first half, they were dominating us in midfield.  Exact same thing happened in the reverse fixture.  Changed it to his credit, went 352 and we looked a lot better, but the damage had been done .