Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't think the transfer funds will be the issue with Rafa. I think he'll demand in his contract guarantees about the training ground built to his spec in a particular time frame before hes even bothered about transfers. I think he'll demand knowledge and control over wages so we don't have the ridiculous delays with transfer deals and I think that all comes before the amount of money available to him. He believes he can get who he needs on limited funds, whether that be through loan deals or just cheap buys. It's the rest of the politics and delays that piss him off. 

Not sure whether Chelsea's managerial change will be good or bad for us. Amongst the uncertainty it might be easier to get Kenedy, but the new manager might say the right things to convince him to stay.

Also, surely we can get better than Slimani. Not saying he's bad, but there must be better out there.

Slimani was apparently Rafa's 4th choice for a striker in January so I doubt it's certain he wants to buy him.

Kenedy has done well for us but I think some people are over rating him. 2 goals (in the same game) and 2 assists isn't exactly the sort of form which makes Champions League teams interested. As for people saying he'll cost more than £25m, that's crazy money for what he has shown so far.

If Slimani is valued at more than 20m, we wont be going near him. I suspect Rafa will be able to get someone better in for that, even in the age of daft transfers.

Dubravka is going to cost us around 4m IIRC.

No one knows on Kenedy. We might get him back on loan but if a bidding war starts, we will get blown out of the water by someone like Everton (who have more money than brains).

I don't think we will get better than Slimani for £20m, seems like people are writing him off after one game. But I do think Rafa will have to agree to sign players with resale value if he's given a good budget, and he might agree to that, which means he'll have to look elsewhere for a striker. Not sure where exactly, but maybe take a punt on a developing younger player and hope he hits the ground running. Risky though.

Slimani was apparently Rafa's 4th choice for a striker in January so I doubt it's certain he wants to buy him.

Kenedy has done well for us but I think some people are over rating him. 2 goals (in the same game) and 2 assists isn't exactly the sort of form which makes Champions League teams interested. As for people saying he'll cost more than £25m, that's crazy money for what he has shown so far.

Tend to agree, although obviously both are good players. Think my strategy is just going to be wait and see, if Rafa is happy for a player to come in then so be it. As long as Ashley doesn't piss over the whole thing we'll be OK.

Surely a journo could put it directly to Rafa in a press conference? “Any progress on signing any of the loan signings, Rafa?” They’ve been asking about his contract, so you’d think it would be a fair question. There’s a reasonable prospect of good news on Dubravka, surely?

Guest reefatoon

Surely a journo could put it directly to Rafa in a press conference? “Any progress on signing any of the loan signings, Rafa?” They’ve been asking about his contract, so you’d think it would be a fair question. There’s a reasonable prospect of good news on Dubravka, surely?

He would probably just react like this if he was asked that. . . . http://i64.tinypic.com/33286sj.png

Give him a life contract with 100 novemdecillion to spend under a new owner pls.

I thought novemdecillion was some sort of anti-depressant.

Well, you learn something new everyday.

Should have explained better. I meant as I was reading your post. Give him a life contract and 100 anti-depressants.