Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest covmag

Well, Rafa, been an honour and a privilege to have you as our manager.

Has he resigned like?

Yep. Whatever happens, it’s been a privilege to have the man in charge of the team.

I really hope he gets enough to make him want to be here for another 3 years.

At any other club the power would be all yours Rafa. It's been a whirlwind and a privilege. You brought back class, honour, commitment and passion to a club that was morally and physically dead. You gave more than just life support to a breathless club, you gave us hope and a precious reminder of what it was like to believe in our players and club again!

Wherever you go you have our blessing!

Happy whatever happens now. If that's his last game, at least it will be clear as day to even his Crumpiest Gritics that Rafa could have built something really special given some sincere support by the owner.

Brilliant effort this season and last.

#InRafaWeTrust

Gonna be hell on if Ashley allows him to walk away.

How can a man be at that game, watch that performance, hear that love from the crowd - and think “yeah, nah”?

Because Ashley is a cunt and enjoys it. You should know that by now!

More points than last season. More wins than last season. Less defeats than last season. More goals than last season. Better goal difference than last season.

Rafa ❤

I'm still deluded enough to think he's staying, so haven't really taken today as a farewell. But what a manager he's been for us :clap:

He could well stay if Mike Ashley really wants him to. But if he's going, that's the way to bow out.

I'm still deluded enough to think he's staying, so haven't really taken today as a farewell. But what a manager he's been for us :clap:

At least half the board feels the same but is putting up the man armour. One thing we know is Ashley will keep everyone waiting for a month and probably fuck off on holiday in between.

At any other club the power would be all yours Rafa. It's been a whirlwind and a privilege. You brought back class, honour, commitment and passion to a club that was morally and physically dead. You gave more than just life support to a breathless club, you gave us hope and a precious reminder of what it was like to believe in our players and club again!

Wherever you go you have our blessing!

:slowclap:

Give the man what he wants for fucks sake, he can take us to the next level without spending daft money.

Well whatever happens we still had 3 years of this fantastic gentleman as our manager.

It seems to me that, since about 2013, it has become quite a popular thing to say "I'm done if/when..." I dare say I've said it myself but truthfully I've often been dubious about that whole attitude: both towards the person saying it as well as wondering if I could personally do it - completely remove myself.

Even at my most detached - during 2014/15 when I was travelling and barely saw any games - when things really seemed at their most hopeless for differing reasons over the course of that season - I was still on here virtually every day, checking all the results and feeling something. Even if it was hatred or anger, or happiness if we'd had a bad result which have might forced Pardew closer to the exit.

If Rafa goes, though, I honestly don't know where I'm going to turn to. I certainly don't want to go back to wishing ill on the club, because that felt toxic and unhealthy. I honestly think it'd be bad for my health to uphold that level of negativity towards something I should feel pride for. I felt desperately, desperately low at certain times during those travelling adventures; there were several reasons but I'm certain that the state of NUFC must have contributed.

I have so dearly loved falling in love with the club again. Feeling like I can love the managers and the players, and feel ecstacy, heartbreak and anger - in spite of Ashley - has been brilliant and worlds away from 14/15. In terms of the games themselves, I'm personally on a hot streak at SJP since Rafa came in: five visits and five fantastic wins, culminating in the Everton game this season which genuinely might be my best ever - certainly top three. Not just Newcastle, but I've followed the sport more closely again - following every story in the Premier League, newspapers, podcasts, absolutely adored the World Cup, been playing in a 5-a-side team for a couple of years now; just totally consuming myself in the sport whenever I can. I'll talk about it with friends and strangers. I've been to the games.  I bought tickets for a talk-in at the Sage. I wear a (recent) Newcastle shirt. I must have sketched about twenty shite portraits of NUFC-related people. I've got a picture of the manager as the background of my phone, like a 9-year-old.

When the club was at its most hateful, I wasn't doing half of that. The interest was obviously well and truly there, but it was either extremely negative or just kind-of an interest in passing.

Which ever way he's done it; Rafa has single-handedly dragged my personal experience of football from the doldrums to just-about everything it should be. I know he's been paid handsomely and it's his job (and, ffs, anyone should be delighted to have the opportunity to manage us) - but we all know his calibre and we all know he should be at a club with far greater stature and ambition than us. I'm so, so grateful for the three-and-a-half years he's given us.

So coming back to the "I'm done," thing. If he leaves: it's not just a popular manager leaving; it would be the tragic, needless and basically malevolent end to something which literally affects my mental health-and-well-being in a positive way. Because if you can't succeed (and he has succeeded) and endure with a person like this, then this regime offers no hope of anything I can have pride in. Bit dramatic, I know, but I think I'd have to force myself to be 'done'. It would be immeasurably preferable to turning the hate tap straight back on.

I think a Pardew return could get me interested again, would have no problem at all turning the hate tap on again. It gives a fan purpose of sorts I suppose.