Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

By pure accident as well. He (Diame) was never meant to play in that role.

I’m not shitting on Rafa btw, but it’s nonsense to say that he had a midfield that were in control of things. Mostly due to Ashley not backing him properly but he still had overall yes or no on new players. He has about a 50% success rate with signings.

Murphy, Atsu, Lazaar, Ki, Muto, Gamez, Hanley, Sels, Joselu. That’s 50 million spunked right there and that doesn’t include the cost of wages.

Dubravka, Schär, Diame, Ritchie, Fernandez, Clark, Hayden, Lejeune and Gayle came in for roughly 55 million. Have been either very good or just ok

Not counting Merino as we didn’t get to see him enough but we also didn’t lose money on him so can’t be classed as a bad move, but not a great one either.

Overall Rafa got to make 28 signings including loans.

One caveat to note, Rafa was never allowed to sign his number one targets. So he would work down his list, with us sometimes signing the 4th or 5th choice. You do that and you will get a not so successful transfer success rate.

Absolutely. The first name on that list should probably read Andros Thownsend, who might not have been spectacular but he was less of a punt than Murphy. The rest of the list I'm not sure but few of them were first choice. Also I'd argue that Ki, Hanley were solid acquisitions that played their part exactly as expected. Gamez was possibly an influence in the dressing room.

McClaren signed Townsend iirc, Rafa sold him but I don’t think he had much choice in that

By pure accident as well. He (Diame) was never meant to play in that role.

I’m not shitting on Rafa btw, but it’s nonsense to say that he had a midfield that were in control of things. Mostly due to Ashley not backing him properly but he still had overall yes or no on new players. He has about a 50% success rate with signings.

Murphy, Atsu, Lazaar, Ki, Muto, Gamez, Hanley, Sels, Joselu. That’s 50 million spunked right there and that doesn’t include the cost of wages.

Dubravka, Schär, Diame, Ritchie, Fernandez, Clark, Hayden, Lejeune and Gayle came in for roughly 55 million. Have been either very good or just ok

Not counting Merino as we didn’t get to see him enough but we also didn’t lose money on him so can’t be classed as a bad move, but not a great one either.

Overall Rafa got to make 28 signings including loans.

One caveat to note, Rafa was never allowed to sign his number one targets. So he would work down his list, with us sometimes signing the 4th or 5th choice. You do that and you will get a not so successful transfer success rate.

Absolutely. The first name on that list should probably read Andros Thownsend, who might not have been spectacular but he was less of a punt than Murphy. The rest of the list I'm not sure but few of them were first choice. Also I'd argue that Ki, Hanley were solid acquisitions that played their part exactly as expected. Gamez was possibly an influence in the dressing room.

McClaren signed Townsend iirc, Rafa sold him but I don’t think he had much choice in that

Rafa wanted him back though. And we ended up with Murphy.

Marseilles is brutal on owners, players and managers that under perform, with some serious groups of ultras not putting up with crap on any level. A pity that the supporters of NUFC have turned into a bunch of squabbling pussies unlike the radge bastards down there.

Haven’t Marseille been bought out by the Saudis? Pretty sure I read that somewhere

Not PIF but a Saudi Prince

Not yet

Interesting though. Firstly, that Rafa could go to a team about to be owned by the Saudis but secondly it could make it easier for Rafa to come here afterwards if he wanted to. If the King comes calling, the Prince isn’t gonna say no.

Not that I could see Rafa wanting to bin a job after so little time in post but just thought it could be an interesting dynamic.

I'm 99.99999999999% certain that he won't go anywhere until we have a decision on the takeover - Caulkin spoke to him a few weeks ago and said he 100% would comeback under different owners as he has a big affinity for the cloob, fans and area!

Don't forget, he brought Amanda to the NUFC table!

If it's true he turns down the job in France, then that pretty much say he really is holding out for the conclusion of the takeover here. Marseille would be a project just like us. To wake up the a half-awake giant. Great fanbase and beautiful place to work. Plus, if the Saudi takeover goes through there, then he'd be loaded too.

Him turning down Marseille only suggests he'd prefer to work in England, I think. He's left China to be closer to his family. Jetting straight off to the south of France would be a bit counterproductive.

Yeah let’s not kid ourself if a Premier league job is available he’ll take it

But he'd prefer it to be close to home on Merseyside so would think that means the north/midlands, which will always give us an edge if we want to put it to use. Very much hinges on the takeover.

:lol: I hope you win big Paully

He hates not working though, that’s the worry.

Not sure where I posted this (takeover thread I think!) but it’s worth a listen as some good stuff about Rafa! His attention to detail is bonkers! He’ll be back and will win us something!