Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, El Hozzo said:

Can't 'this person' have his own thread (which can then be avoided) 

it can be titled 'Cunt' 

Harsh on poor magvicar. It's just his opinion, man. 

22 minutes ago, magvicar said:

What do you mean by having little influence?

"You can't change things overnight" or whatever Bruce's famous quote was.

Steve Bruce is not impressed by suggestions Newcastle United’s players are confused by his frequently shifting tactics. “I think that’s the biggest insult I can have,” he said. “Graham Potter changed Brighton’s formation four times during last week’s game [a 0-0 home draw]. Graham’s radically changed Brighton’s style and I want to change my team’s too, but I won’t do it radically. It’ll be gradual, it won’t be overnight.”

So they basically changed nowt early on into Bruce's reign as, by his own admission, it wasn't possible to do so.

Then a year and a half later....

“We’ve made no excuse,” said United's head coach. “We’re doing something different, which is always difficult to implement.

Still spouting the same old shite about tactics taking forever to implement.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

7 hours ago, GideonShandy said:

Absolutely had it up to here with people defending Bruce, even with a "Devil's Advocate" disclaimer (and especially on the Rafa Benitez thread.)  The hell with him and his ghastly son. 

Sorry mate this is ridiculous. Trying to show some understanding and this is the response [emoji38] . It’s an interesting kind of ‘defending’ when I’m agreeing with everyone that he’s a moron. 

Edited by St. Maximin

7 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Maybe but that's down to the 'look at the top line/results, fuck the context' method of analysis and punditry that plagues this country. Bruce took over Benitez' team that was playing nice stuff at the back end of 2018-19 and despite losing Rondon and Perez had added £65m worth of talent to it in ASM, Joelinton, Krafth and Willems on loan. Those first 7 games were embarrassing from a tactical perspective and he reverted to using a 5-4-1 after we got annihilated at Leicester which was a lot less nicer on the eye than the 3-4-3 we were using at the back end of 2018-19. That 5-4-1 was reeling from the benefits of Benitez' coaching and from October-December we were picking up results. Then injuries, rushing players back etc saw us bring in 3 loans: Bentaleb, Rose, Lazaro. Bentaleb was atrocious, Rose meh and Lazaro the best of the trio who also got played the least. :lol: We limp past two League One teams via replays in the FA Cup before West Brom away which for the first 50 minutes was probably the best we played under Bruce pre COVID. He then intervened with his wank substitutions, conceded twice late on and end up hanging on at the end before having a fucking giggle about it, "this job should come with a health warning", so you fat gormless globule, its your shite game management that sees us hanging on you fucking clueless bastard. The last game pre COVID was the win away at Southampton which practically saw us safe.

Post lockdown we were a total shambles, two wins against Sheffield United and Bournemouth aside the rest of that season and the whole of 2020-21 was the most miserable I've been as a Newcastle fan since the second half of 2013-14. Bruce consistently patronised the fans, talked down, embarrassed the club and got away with it due to the lack of crowds. ASM and Willock saved him post March. 

Mate I know - I completely agree with you on your comments here. Simple analysis of our performances and his decisions should tell the ordinary fan what they need to know. 

I was just saying if we go by the table it’s not hard to see why some people might defend him. We comfortably stayed up despite having a squad that was very poor when the star players were injured. It doesn’t change the fact he’s a dinosaur and as I said he’s now been shown up over time, just like how Pardew has. We have quite a lot to thank WBA for actually. 

29 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

"You can't change things overnight" or whatever Bruce's famous quote was.

This can be a massive subjective argument among managers and fans to be honest.

One minute it can be "you can't change things overnight" by managers to fans offering an insight into certain managers being escape artists or promotion experts or Jonah's in the football world and so on.

Look at Sam Allardyce. People argue as to how good or bad he was or is.

I'd say most if not all managers would come into a club with some kind of saying like " I'm not a miracle worker" or "you can't simply change things overnight" or a variation of other like comments and if it goes tits up they can say " well, I think if I had more time" or " I wasn't able to get in the players to effect change" and so on. But if they start off well they can be deemed a saviour as long as they don't come with any baggage that offers them a dodgy start in fan's eyes.

So many arguments as to what and how.

29 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

So they basically changed nowt early on into Bruce's reign as, by his own admission, it wasn't possible to do so.

Then a year and a half later....

Still spouting the same old shite about tactics taking forever to implement.

Bruce had to try and implement his own ways onto the squad from How Rafa had set up.

He tried to change it and it didn't work so reverted back to how it was but then slowly changed things again and got a mixed bag I thought.

Of course he still spouted some shite. I used to roll my eyes many a time with his excuses.

But I still enjoyed the football under him more than I did under Rafa.

And that's not saying too much as Bruce offered some turgid football at times, just not as much as Rafa did.

Edited by magvicar
spelling

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Viana said:

I do feel sorry for Rafa in a way. He planted a tree he never got to sit under with the takeover.

Maybe he could have thought, but chose to stay at Everton. Wouldn’t knock him for being loyal like.

I would love Benitez to be involved with the club again one day. Feel like he has unfinished business here, but not sure what role I could see him in.

2 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Love the bloke but wouldn't want him back in any capacity in future, like. 

I think as a scout or even in youth development he could be very good. 

There's as much chance of him becoming a scout or deviating away from being a manager as there is me going teetotal. Loves the day-to-day management of clubs, being on the training pitch et cetera too much for that.