Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"The proposed takeover of EPL side Newcastle United "has reached a critical stage, with disagreements about the value of the club if it is relegated from the Premier League preventing a quick deal" between Owner Mike Ashley and prospective buyer Amanda Staveley, according to Binham, Vandevelde & Ahmed of the FINANCIAL TIMES. The sides are "still in talks, but questions persist over how to structure a deal" should Newcastle, which has dropped to near the bottom of the league, fall out of English football's top tier, "a failure that would decimate the value" of the club. Contrary to a "flurry of reports that stoked fans' expectations" last week, PCP Capital, the investment company founded by Staveley, has not increased the £250M ($333M) offer it made four weeks ago. Ashley initially sought as much as £400M ($532.9M). Staveley is "resisting paying a high price up front and will not be swayed by promises of a rebate should Newcastle be relegated," according to people familiar with the talks. People close to both sides denied reports that a deal was imminent. The possibility that Newcastle might be relegated for a third time under Ashley's decade-long proprietorship "remains a critical issue." Unless concessions are made soon, a deal "may not be completed before the next transfer window closes in January" (FT, 12/15)."

"Deal may not be done in time for January."

I think we all already knew this. It's what happens in January fund wise that matters. Also, I doubt the FT are as clued up as the more reliable journalists such as Caulkin on this whole saga.

"Deal may not be done in time for January."

I think we all already knew this. It's what happens in January fund wise that matters. Also, I doubt the FT are as clued up as the more reliable journalists such as Caulkin on this whole saga.

They might, they are bound to have better sources in the Middle East than any England based football journo.

"The proposed takeover of EPL side Newcastle United "has reached a critical stage, with disagreements about the value of the club if it is relegated from the Premier League preventing a quick deal" between Owner Mike Ashley and prospective buyer Amanda Staveley, according to Binham, Vandevelde & Ahmed of the FINANCIAL TIMES. The sides are "still in talks, but questions persist over how to structure a deal" should Newcastle, which has dropped to near the bottom of the league, fall out of English football's top tier, "a failure that would decimate the value" of the club. Contrary to a "flurry of reports that stoked fans' expectations" last week, PCP Capital, the investment company founded by Staveley, has not increased the £250M ($333M) offer it made four weeks ago. Ashley initially sought as much as £400M ($532.9M). Staveley is "resisting paying a high price up front and will not be swayed by promises of a rebate should Newcastle be relegated," according to people familiar with the talks. People close to both sides denied reports that a deal was imminent. The possibility that Newcastle might be relegated for a third time under Ashley's decade-long proprietorship "remains a critical issue." Unless concessions are made soon, a deal "may not be completed before the next transfer window closes in January" (FT, 12/15)."

Take a bow Ashley, you fat cunt.

My takeover theory(hope) is as follows:

- The takeover has been agreed, with at most just some minor quibbles over wording of the agreement.

- Stories about major differences between the parties are just part of the game to keep people off the scent.

- We will get in to January without an announcement being made.

- Our first player acquisitions will be made prior to any takeover announcement, but will be strangely ambitious given no announcement.

- Mid-way through January the takeover will be announced, with it being confirmed the announcement was delayed to keep selling clubs from jacking up their prices for a now cashed up NUFC.

- That the reason Rafa is apparently so calm in the face of our current form is he knows and has orchestrated all of this, and he knows what is transfer kitty looks like.

My takeover theory(hope) is as follows:

- The takeover has been agreed, with at most just some minor quibbles over wording of the agreement.

- Stories about major differences between the parties are just part of the game to keep people off the scent.

- We will get in to January without an announcement being made.

- Our first player acquisitions will be made prior to any takeover announcement, but will be strangely ambitious given no announcement.

- Mid-way through January the takeover will be announced, with it being confirmed the announcement was delayed to keep selling clubs from jacking up their prices for a now cashed up NUFC.

- That the reason Rafa is apparently so calm in the face of our current form is he knows and has orchestrated all of this, and he knows what is transfer kitty looks like.

That theory credits Ashley with a lot imo and ignores what a monumental cunt he is.

Lets face it - never going to happen.  How is this any different to the other times he put the club up for sale?  PCP are happy they're getting free publicity and Ashley's happy as he's got a reason not to spend in Jan.

Lets face it - never going to happen.  How is this any different to the other times he put the club up for sale?  PCP are happy they're getting free publicity and Ashley's happy as he's got a reason not to spend in Jan.

The publicity claim is laughable.

Staveley is a deal maker, the worst publicity she could possibly have is failing to complete a deal.

She has failed to buy Liverpool twice yet PCP is still highly regarded.

PCP have been in the papers every day for months.  I am not saying they haven't had interest but they were never going to pay what Ashley wanted as I think it's universally agreed to be far more than the club is currently worth.  So even if a deal isn't made PCP's reputation is intact.

The publicity claim is laughable.

Staveley is a deal maker, the worst publicity she could possibly have is failing to complete a deal.

Worse for PCP would be knowingly assisting in a sham takeover exercise.  If it was found out that PCP was an active participant in such a fraud, Staveley would struggle in future deals because she would be perceived as untrustworthy (just another player like Ashley).  So I put no stock in the idea that she is knowingly participating in one of Ashley's fraudulent acquisitions.

This leaves the option that Ashley is just using Steveley as an unwitting pawn in his own games.  If Staveley found out that she was duped she would be very concerned that this would impact her standing in the business/finance community.  Steveley would likely sue Ashley for not acting in good faith and for fraudulent business practices - and she would likely win some decent compensation for costs incurred and for reputation damage.  Consequently I think this is also unlikely.

Ashley may be being a dick to get the best price possible, but the civil lawsuit consequences of allowing PCP to invest so much time and resources would be too great for Ashley to just be stuffing around.  The only way Ashley gets out of a deal happening is if there is an aspect of the sale the parties can't agree on - and that has to be reasonable otherwise Staveley and PCP will sue him.

weird that people would discount the value of all the free advertising Ashley has received over the years through us but act like what PCP is getting out of this is some kind of world class exposure.

Name the billionaire who's considering a buyout and is leafing through the papers going "hmm, seems here PCP failed to get a deal done. I should call them to handle my next acquisition." I mean honestly.

Large investment advisory firms that only deal with institutional clients don't need to run publicity stunts to get their name out to people who will never be their customers.