Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hopefully he continues these ill-fated ventures and is forced to cash in on NUFC sooner rather than later. Last roll of the dice to release some capitol that leads to his ultimate dimise would suffice.

Hopefully he continues these ill-fated ventures and is forced to cash in on NUFC sooner rather than later. Last roll of the dice to release some capitol that leads to his ultimate dimise would suffice.

Why sell us when it’s a stable and money generating asset during uncertain times with Debenhams and HoF. My worry is that his other ventures not doing so well means he is less likely to want to sell.

I’m probably missing something, like.

Why sell us when it’s a stable and money generating asset during uncertain times with Debenhams and HoF. My worry is that his other ventures not doing so well means he is less likely to want to sell.

No I don’t think you are. The club is pretty much a solid stream of revenue (if kept in the PL) but even if it gets relegated and bounces back, it’s still a valuable asset. Something he could surely borrow against if it ever came to it.

Aside from all the free advertising Sports Direct get from the club? (actually, do SD pay Mike Ashley directly for this??) I think the club is his rainy day fund.

The scary thing is, if he’s treating the club this badly while he’s generally doing ok.. what on Earth could he do if things ever got really bad for him?

Is our wage bill really £120 million ?

No, it's an accounting fiction. It appears we wrote down the value of some contracts in advance however we can't be sure until the accounts are released.

On another note, no players bought and no closer to selling the club. Another successful window thus far for this waste of Oxygen.

Its not stable when he's running it into the ground and allowing for relegation every year.  While he's got plenty of cash he can risk relegation every year for the money he gets when we're in the Premier League.  But if he really was in a position where he was on his arse financially he wouldn't be able to afford the risk.  I mean if we're really talking about him being in serious financial trouble, then yeah I think he'd cash in and get a nice £200m cash injection.

Its not stable when he's running it into the ground and allowing for relegation every year.  While he's got plenty of cash he can risk relegation every year for the money he gets when we're in the Premier League.  But if he really was in a position where he was on his arse financially he wouldn't be able to afford the risk.  I mean if we're really talking about him being in serious financial trouble, then yeah I think he'd cash in and get a nice £200m cash injection.

100% he'd bin us off to save his precious SD, what's the point of SD United without SD, even as a cash cow?

It just needs to be made that owning NUFC is toxic to him. Either financiall,y directly to NUFC, or because of the reputational hit he'll continue to take which will knock-on to SD etc financially.

Money is all he cares about, until we become more of a problem than a benefit, he's going nowhere. But collectively we can do that.

Ashley's plan is hope to avoid relegation while spending as little money as possible. Pocket the TV money. If NUFC are relegated, sell some players and spend enough money to 'ensure' promotion. Rinse and repeat. He actually makes money with this plan.

The problems this time are: -

The Championship is becoming more and more competitive with clubs willing to spend big money to chase promotion.

As Ashley doesn't sanction many transfers in there aren't many good players other clubs would want to buy off NUFC (Dubravka and some of the centre backs may be in demand).

Rafa will leave and Ashley will have to find a manager to 'guarantee' promotion.

The ground won't sell out in the Championship without the hope/project Rafa provided.

Who will see the point of getting promoted back to the Premiership when the only plan is to pocket the cash until the next relegation?

Ashley's plan is hope to avoid relegation while spending as little money as possible. Pocket the TV money. If NUFC are relegated, sell some players and spend enough money to 'ensure' promotion. Rinse and repeat. He actually makes money with this plan.

The Championship is becoming more and more competitive with clubs willing to spend big money to chase promotion.

As Ashley doesn't sanction many transfers in there aren't many good players other clubs would want to buy off NUFC (Dubravka and some of the centre backs may be in demand).

Rafa will leave and Ashley will have to find a manager to 'guarantee' promotion.

The ground won't sell out in the Championship without the hope/project Rafa provided.

Who will see the point of getting promoted back to the Premiership when the only plan is to pocket the cash until the next relegation?

You also need to factor In the debt accrued by both relegations which, given certain quite feasible scenarios , may well push us close to a potential basket case of spiraling debt which, added to the potential cost of buying the club, will effectively render the club unsellable (see CCFC SISU) unless Ashley takes a massive hit which, given his track record, is never going to happen.

Very dangerous times ahead if we go down 

You also need to factor In the debt accrued by both relegations which, given certain quite feasible scenarios , may well push us close to a potential basket case of spiraling debt which, added to the potential cost of buying the club, will effectively render the club unsellable (see CCFC SISU) unless Ashley takes a massive hit which, given his track record, is never going to happen.

Very dangerous times ahead if we go down 

Is it bad this kind of makes me want to go down? :lol: Burn it to the ground I say. I'd love Ashley to lose a few hundred million from it.

Aye if we go down this time it's significantly less likely that we'll come straight back up again. 09/10 was a doddle because we had way better players; 16/17 was a lot tougher because we had less-good players and better opponents (but Rafa)... 19/20 with even less equipped players, even better opponents and a worse manager? I wouldn't fancy or chances at all tbh.

Aye if we go down this time it's significantly less likely that we'll come straight back up again. 09/10 was a doddle because we had way better players; 16/17 was a lot tougher because we had less-good players and better opponents (but Rafa)... 19/20 with even less equipped players, even better opponents and a worse manager? I wouldn't fancy or chances at all tbh.

I would reckon we`d be lucky to get only a "worse" manager than Rafa, as its almost certain anyone with any credibility wouldn't touch an Ashley (Moneyless) relegated NUFC with a bargepole. Can you really see Ashley /Charnley appointing anything other than another token patsy, way out of their depth spending their tenure on bended knees paying homage to Ashley whilst trotting out the usual cliched platitudes as we sink lower...and lower.