Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

It's so f***ing weird man. :lol:

Wanting us to "have a go" and get embarrassed and take a huge hit to GD and morale amongst the players and the fanbase going into Brighton. A 0-1 loss in whi we could've nicked something is far far better than a 0-5 or 0-6 humbling. If you don't get that, you don't understand football.

:thup:

Astounded at some of the posts on here tonight. It really doesn’t get any more simple than we’d have been hammered if we’d ‘had a go’ tonight with this squad.

We’d all love our team to have had a go, but we haven’t got the quality to do it yet until, please god, we are rid of Ashley and can buy better quality.

The fact is, we were a goal line clearance off a draw here. With this squad. The tactics and game plan were spot on.

I’m astounded that people think the way we played for most of the game was the right way especially the first half. It wasn’t as if allowing city so much space, time and just do as they like with the ball restricted them to one or two chances they could and should have had 5 plus with all the chances they had. You do not allow teams like city to be able to basically walk the ball towards the goal. The only reason we were only one down was due to city having an off day in front of goal.

Or maybe our defence and GK were able to restrict them to shots from distance and half-chances from awkward angles. Not having that like. Apart from two good saves by Elliott, I don't remember them missing any glaring chances.

Yeah, Gary Neville kept on going on about how they should have had 4 or 5 but had an off day in front of goal. I genuinely can't remember them wasting many clear chances at all.

I think there's a fair bit of misunderstanding towards the tactical side of last night's game, we tailored our setup exactly right against a vastly superior, attacking team and nearly got something from it. The fact the game finished 1-0 and were in it right up until the last minute blatantly shows Rafa was correct and his tactics were spot on. To say City had an 'off' game and that was the only reason they didn't get more is ignorant really, they didn't score because Rafa's tactics stopped them from playing their usual game, limiting them to half chances as opposed to easy shots.

It was a privelage to be beaten by this lot....

I don't think anyone is saying that. The fact of the matter is that when we pushed on later on we weren't a million miles off of getting a result.

Was the first 30 minutes a little too defensive, sure. I don't think Rafa wanted us to play that little though. Our players just struggled to retain any kind of possession. Rafa was trying to get the players to push out a bit further.

But at the end of the day, with one of the worst squads in the league, against one of the best teams in the world (and certainly most in form), we were probably closer to picking up a point than the majority of the Premier League this season. I am reasonably satisfied with that.

Wanting us to "have a go" and get embarrassed and take a huge hit to GD and morale amongst the players and the fanbase going into Brighton. A 0-1 loss in whi we could've nicked something is far far better than a 0-5 or 0-6 humbling. If you don't get that, you don't understand football.

Astounded at some of the posts on here tonight. It really doesn’t get any more simple than we’d have been hammered if we’d ‘had a go’ tonight with this squad.

We’d all love our team to have had a go, but we haven’t got the quality to do it yet until, please god, we are rid of Ashley and can buy better quality.

The fact is, we were a goal line clearance off a draw here. With this squad. The tactics and game plan were spot on.

I’m astounded that people think the way we played for most of the game was the right way especially the first half. It wasn’t as if allowing city so much space, time and just do as they like with the ball restricted them to one or two chances they could and should have had 5 plus with all the chances they had. You do not allow teams like city to be able to basically walk the ball towards the goal. The only reason we were only one down was due to city having an off day in front of goal.

Or maybe our defence and GK were able to restrict them to shots from distance and half-chances from awkward angles. Not having that like. Apart from two good saves by Elliott, I don't remember them missing any glaring chances.

Yeah, Gary Neville kept on going on about how they should have had 4 or 5 but had an off day in front of goal. I genuinely can't remember them wasting many clear chances at all.

I think there's a fair bit of misunderstanding towards the tactical side of last night's game, we tailored our setup exactly right against a vastly superior, attacking team and nearly got something from it. The fact the game finished 1-0 and were in it right up until the last minute blatantly shows Rafa was correct and his tactics were spot on. To say City had an 'off' game and that was the only reason they didn't get more is ignorant really, they didn't score because Rafa's tactics stopped them from playing their usual game, limiting them to half chances as opposed to easy shots.

No misunderstanding at all, if you allow teams to keep coming at you without putting challenges in they are going to put you in trouble with the quality they have and they did. Think some people need to watch the game again apart from the two saves, the goal, aquero hitting the post, de bbruyne putting wide when clean through which I would class as very good chances we also had another two shots hit the post and a few other efforts put over when in decent positions all because no player was even attempting to challenge. Was that down to the shit in our team maybe but to say the way that team played in the first half especially was acceptable is quite plainly laughable.

The right tactics were to play on the counter but to make sure that city were not given time on the ball and that did not happen. If also doesn’t help when you have a useless plank up front who lost the ball time and time again ably assisted by the two wide men who did the same. Rafa I’m sure was wanting to use Joselu to hold the ball and utilise the pace of the two pace men but it never happened. The lack of challenges and backing off last night again especially in that first half was shocking. You do not allow quality teams the freedom of the park at any level.

No misunderstanding at all, if you allow teams to keep coming at you without putting challenges in they are going to put you in trouble with the quality they have and they did. Think some people need to watch the game again apart from the two saves, the goal, aquero hitting the post, de bbruyne putting wide when clean through which I would class as very good chances we also had another two shots hit the post and a few other efforts put over when in decent positions all because no player was even attempting to challenge. Was that down to the s*** in our team maybe but to say the way that team played in the first half especially was acceptable is quite plainly laughable.

The right tactics were to play on the counter but to make sure that city were not given time on the ball and that did not happen. If also doesn’t help when you have a useless plank up front who lost the ball time and time again ably assisted by the two wide men who did the same. Rafa I’m sure was wanting to use Joselu to hold the ball and utilise the pace of the two pace men but it never happened. The lack of challenges and backing off last night again especially in that first half was shocking. You do not allow quality teams the freedom of the park at any level.

This is nonsense mind. The game plan was clear first 30, very disciplined flat back 5 and then a bank of 4 and so limiting the space for City to play in. If we had pressed this City side and try and do what you say are the correct tactics we would have been picked off, space opened up and probably been thumped. 

Nowt wrong with the tactics, we just weren't good enough to use the ball well when we got possession.

Fully agree with this.

I don't know why it's hard for people to understand, he had outlets ready to break but they didn't get the ball or squandered it. Everyone's been jizzing over city and they've been destroying everyone....we've just come off a bad run and the players were probably sh1tting it. Got to half time only 1-0, they settled down and made a reasonable go of it.

I had no issue with how Rafa set the gameplan versus the best team in the league and while I'll still replay the "what-if" chances we could have scored in my head, I'm very happy with how our players fought through the match and esp in the final 20 minutes. Our team looks committed and hungry and hopefully we bring that same level of concentration, intensity and desire to limit our mistakes and maximize our goal chances versus Brighton.

I'm amazed by some of the comments having a go at Rafa on here today - you guys must be living in cloud cuckoo land.

Really?  I've looked at most places and this place is the exception which doesn't surprise me.

Again people getting lambasted for questioning Rafas decisions. He is the one that has told us to play like that in the first half and quite frankly its embarrassing from him. Hes basically just forfeited the game he may as well have just said weve got no fucking hope just go through the motions.

Its 1 game for fucks sake its not a season defining game, we aren't relegated if we lose, so why go with this embarrassing formula and team that hes put it. Hes got it so fucking wrong tonight its unreal

Glad to see you're back...nowt worse than when your internet gets cut off after you've been called out. You thought it was going to be 0-4 btw, obviously you're annoyed it wasn't. So fucking wrong it's unreal.

Strikes me as quite a clever gameplan against this lot and I wouldn't be surprised to see other teams at the arse end of the table try and execute it in the next few weeks - defend resolutely, let them have a one goal lead so the battering isn't relentless, then try and pinch a goal and a point in the last ten minutes.

Not pretty like and not particularly heartening to have to resort to such tactics at home but this Man City side are to be treated as a special case.

When I first saw the linup I expected this to be an "Excuse-maker" of a game. Raffa trying a couple of odd things just so when people ask for them in the future he can point to that time we got shafted by City and say it didn't work.

Give Aarrons a start? Nah, look what happened when we tried that against City.

Play 3 at the back? Nah, look what happened when we tried that against City.

Dummett at CB? Nah, look what happened when we tried that against City.

Drop Ritchie? Nah, look what happened when we tried that against City.

Was surprised he didn't start Mitro just to round out the whole thing.

But f*** me it ended up working. I still think Gayle being on from the start would have been a much better choice over Joselu. I think this is what he was going for with the 3 at the back against Chelsea too but obviously the other issues in that game like the lack of Lascelles, Ritchie at WB and the early goal kicking Chelsea on scuppered those plans.

No misunderstanding at all, if you allow teams to keep coming at you without putting challenges in they are going to put you in trouble with the quality they have and they did. Think some people need to watch the game again apart from the two saves, the goal, aquero hitting the post, de bbruyne putting wide when clean through which I would class as very good chances we also had another two shots hit the post and a few other efforts put over when in decent positions all because no player was even attempting to challenge. Was that down to the s*** in our team maybe but to say the way that team played in the first half especially was acceptable is quite plainly laughable.

This is nonsense mind. The game plan was clear first 30, very disciplined flat back 5 and then a bank of 4 and so limiting the space for City to play in. If we had pressed this City side and try and do what you say are the correct tactics we would have been picked off, space opened up and probably been thumped. 

Disciplined back 5 yeah right and the amount of space they did get was unreal. If you were saying city were limited to space yesterday I think you need to watch that game again. You don’t allow teams with quality to play. Isn’t it funny that when we actually made the subs and actually started pressing was the time city were unable to create the space - now I wonder why that is the case. You obviously didn’t watch the Bristol v Man Utd game last week when they didn’t allow a far superior team to play. You cannot allow teams time and space on the ball as they will take you apart if they do. The only reason they didn’t was due to good saves, the post 3 times and a few good other opportunities they scuppered. Watch the Man Coty at home game from two year ago and see how keeping it tight but being a threat on the counter should be played. I can accept the players are not good enough but to actually praise them for a shocking first half performance especially I fine laughable.

I thought we were brilliant.

Organised, disciplined and kept our shape and nearly nicked a point by doing so.

You build a team from the back. We've been working on shape and organisation since last season, and it shows. So refreshing having a unit that can defend and CB's that don't rush out of position trying to be heroes. It's Rafa's long game, and....long may it continue.

I'm amazed by some of the comments having a go at Rafa on here today - you guys must be living in cloud cuckoo land.

Really?  I've looked at most places and this place is the exception which doesn't surprise me.

Again people getting lambasted for questioning Rafas decisions. He is the one that has told us to play like that in the first half and quite frankly its embarrassing from him. Hes basically just forfeited the game he may as well have just said weve got no f***ing hope just go through the motions.

Its 1 game for f***s sake its not a season defining game, we aren't relegated if we lose, so why go with this embarrassing formula and team that hes put it. Hes got it so f***ing wrong tonight its unreal

Glad to see you're back...nowt worse than when your internet gets cut off after you've been called out. You thought it was going to be 0-4 btw, obviously you're annoyed it wasn't. So f***ing wrong it's unreal.

He's a pleb that probably has never played sports in his life.

Any idea what a 5-0 spanking would do to a struggling teams morale? Whether people like it or a not, losing 1-0 to the runaway leaders is acceptable and apart from the 1st 30 mins we were ok. Reckon the players will be reasonably buoyed by the 2nd half and relieved it wasn't total humiliation.

Would much rather take that in to a winnable game against Brighton than broken spirits.

I think the whole team had a good game and a good game for the whole duration to boot.

I think people are mistaking last nights performance as being poor because it wasn't flash nor was it entertaining, but that right there lies one of the issues with football for me.

It seems that football has become a game whereby teams are now expected to go all out and give teams a go, regardless of the gulf in quality and the spanking they'd receive if they'd opened up. Purely for customers to be entertained both in the ground and on the tele. But anyone who was watching last night with the premise of seeing their team compete would understand that the tactics utilised were both correct and effective. Except from lacking a little bit of quality, we unfortunately didn't snatch something out of it.

Whilst I would like to say games vs Man City this season won't be season defining, they very well might be. Looking at how tight the league is and how everyone is getting results off everyone at the bottom, it could well be goal difference that sees us remain in the top flight (and keep Rafa and get taken over to boot). That, partnered with not getting tanked at home which wouldn't be good for the fans, and also terrible for the players' morale having won unexpectedly at West Ham means that the 1-0 defeat was a relative success.

Sure, City being a bit more clinical might have seen us off well and truly but likewise if we had have been we would have got a draw or win and everyone would be lapping up Rafas greatness.

A 1-0 defeat with us in the game until the last kick meant not only was it a moral win for us it was a statistical one, as that could well be worth a point come the end of the season.

There is such a ridiculous gulf in class in this league now and it's purely down to money. The media are completely elitist and spend their time wanking over the top 5 or 6 clubs and are ignorant to the fact that the remaining 14/15 teams, apart from one or two each season who surprise, are largely in a relegation fight from one season to the next. It's probably not even the best league in the world anymore like Sky would have everyone believe tbh.

Gayles frustrating dive, which I haven't seen again, but I suspect that's what it was, if it were at the other end probably would have been given. We've had numerous opportunities to have a bit more fortune but have hit the post and not got that dodgy decision which most teams seem to have had against us in recent weeks and had we have had a bit more rub of the green we may have gone at City last night because we would be in a position to do so, but we didn't and what Rafa and the lads did was 90% correct.

Sorry for the waffle, I'm just utterly bemused by people's negative remarks about last night. Our team have done us proud for most part of our season, except for maybe 3 or 4 games and last night wasn't one of them.

Can't believe we lost to Man City. Can't believe we tried to limit them scoring as well. Can't believe we were so negative. Can't believe it almost worked.

Mainly, can't believe so many of our fans know the correct way to go about beating Man City with our current squad of players. Easy isn't it?

Guest neesy111

I was probably more critical than I should had been last night, but I still don't get the defended great stuff.  I'd say defending well is restricting the opposition to very little which we didn't, city still found lots of space etc and easily could had been 3-0 at HT with better finishing.  2nd half performance was good though.

Good post Heza. While I don't think the gulf in class is purely down to money it's certainly played a part. This is a problem within football and I don't know how we can fix it. One thing is for certain though, we are not here for the entertainment of Manchester City.

I just think no matter how we played/defended last night they were always going to create a fair amount of chances. If we went for them more the chances would have more likely been 1 on 1s rather than us having bodies in the way for most. Simply put given the quality of the 2 teams they'll always create.

Its shit that the Prem has become so uneven as a contest, but we were on a hiding to nothing last night and at the end of the day we could have snatched a point at the end.