Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

1 minute ago, Wilson said:

.... and leaves us in the shit as we'll need a new keeper, because Darlow shouldn't even be backup. 

Injury to Pope leaves us in a shit position. 

How do you know Howe doesn’t rate Darlow? 

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

How do you know Howe doesn’t rate Darlow? 

I don't, just voicing my opinion. 

I don't rate Darlow at all and would feel a hell of a lot better with Dubs as backup. 

I suspected in January there was something up between Howe/Dubravka/Newcastle because we were being linked with goalkeepers straight away, which was odd and then we went in for Pope/Henderson very quickly.

Perhaps it wasn't personal, maybe Dubravka wanted a new contract and club said no, perhaps he had gotten wind of Man United early and they unsettled him, perhaps Howe doesn't trust his injury record. Whatever it is, the wheels have been in motion since January.

Yes, going from Dubravka to Darlow is a slight loss in quality but we are talking a number 2 goalkeeper here, its something we can think about in January. I'm sure our scouts can find a talented young keeper we can develop.

1 minute ago, STM said:

I suspected in January there was something up between Howe/Dubravka/Newcastle because we were being linked with goalkeepers straight away, which was odd and then we went in for Pope/Henderson very quickly.

Perhaps it wasn't personal, maybe Dubravka wanted a new contract and club said no, perhaps he had gotten wind of Man United early and they unsettled him, perhaps Howe doesn't trust his injury record. Whatever it is, the wheels have been in motion since January.

Yes, going from Dubravka to Darlow is a slight loss in quality but we are talking a number 2 goalkeeper here, its something we can think about in January. I'm sure our scouts can find a talented young keeper we can develop.

?? And we have a better defence in front of that No2 keeper! 

• What if we need to trim the squad and he's one of the only real offers we have?
  • What if we need to cut wages and he's only of the only options?
  • What if the club think he's declining and this is the last chance to shift an aging keeper?
  • What if we are worried he'll be sulking for the next four months?
  • What if we don't think there's that much of a difference between him and Darlow? 

I think it's worth considering all of these questions (as well as the fact that we don't even know all the details of the offer) before saying we've made some colossal mistake that is largely being driven by the emotion of it being Manchester United.

In the most nufc thing ever, Pope will end up dislocating his shoulder against Crystal Palace.

While we shouldn’t be trying to keep any player who wants away, I just don’t think the deal is good for us, like he didn’t have us over a barrel, we should be sure to have what we need beforehand and not firefighting to have a decent replacement? Can’t be Darlow, surely?

Makes perfect sense though for Dubravka, being no.2 for nufc this year will do far more damage to his international chances than being understudy to De Gea.. he hasn’t played for them in over a year iirc

I understand people's frustrations but again, the pros and cons will have been weighed up.

Hey, there's half a chance another keeper might come in. Plenty of scope for another loan.

Guest HTT II

I don’t think the club will deny any player wanting away an opportunity to go, if it’s best for both and while he’ll be leaving one bench for the other, he will likely get more game time there and although I’d far rather we had Woodman as number 2 and not Darlow, they are both similar in standard, only the latter has far more experience. He’s 34, he’s getting a bit injury prone, has a few ricks in him and if we get a decent loan fee and some wages off the books, so be it. We will eventually be looking for Pope’s successor in 3 or so years time which may cost a fair whack. It’s a strange one as I’ve said, but, well, it’s a strange fucking season and I trust our manager, the staff and the people running the club. 

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Can't believe Man Utd are loaning one of our players. How the mighty have fallen :lol:

Mate we loaned keepers off West Brom and Peterborough when we were the champions. :lol: No need to try and make this into something it's not. You have a good backup keeper who would rather play for us and you're cashing in. Nothing more, nothing less. 

12 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Thought he was spot on last season. City & Spurs the only two teams to score more than 1 after the New Year.

He was average to poor last season.  Pope is far superior.

Like most others I don't resent Dubravka wanted to leave even of it is back up.

Also like others it does gaul a little that it is for Man United, who as has been widely discussed acted last tossers of the highest order last January.

Where I differ is that it would be catastrophic to have Darlow as back up. Even the top 4 have a significant gap between their first and second choice keepers (Chelsea the exception?). For me he's fine, he doesn't command his area particularly well but he's a solid shot stopper. It's not fair to overly judge his distribution as he last played regularly under Bruce and we all know what that did to other much better players.

38 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Mate we loaned keepers off West Brom and Peterborough when we were the champions. :lol: No need to try and make this into something it's not. You have a good backup keeper who would rather play for us and you're cashing in. Nothing more, nothing less. 

"Cashing in" generally implies receiving a big dollop of cash, not giving away an asset for virtually nothing.