Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

4 minutes ago, Nobody said:

As for "no one has a decent number two", Villa have Olsen who is still the current Swedish starting keeper and is much better than Karl Darlow. 

Chelsea have Kepa, the most expensive keeper ever. I know he's been dodgy for them but could still be reliably called upon. 

Palace have Butland and Johnstone, both who are much better than Darlow. 

Everton have Begovic, another former PL starter. He probably have faded a fair bit, but at his best a very decent keeper.

Man Utd will have Dubravka, West Ham Areola, Spurs Forster.

There are clearly a lot of teams that have much better back up goalkeepers than Darlow, and we're giving one of the best ones away for basically nowt. 

Quick question… has Olsen, Kepa, Butland, Johnstone, Begovic, Areola or Forster publicly said they want to leave their clubs? 

29 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Do many clubs have reliable backups these days?

Let’s have a cheeky peek…

Arsenal - Matt Turner

Villa - Robin Olsen, Jed Steer

Bournemouth - Neto, Will Dennis

Brentford - Thomas Strakosha, Matthew Cox

Brighton - Jason Steele, Tom McGill

Chelsea - Kepa, Marcus Bettinelli

Palace - Jack Butland, Sam Johnstone, Joseph Whitworth

Everton - Asmir Begovic, Andy Lonergan

Fulham - Marek Rodak, Paulo Gazzaniga

Leeds - Joel Robles, Kristoffer Klaesson

Leicester - Alex Smithies, Daniel Iverson

Liverpool - Adrian, Caoimhin Kelleher

Man City - Stefan Ortega, Sergio Gomez

ManU - Dubs, Tom Heaton

NUFC - Karl Darlow, Mark Gillespie

Forest - Wayne Hennessey, Jordan Smith

Southampton - Alex McCarthy, Willy Caballero, Mateusz Lis

Spurs - Fraser Forster, Brandon Austin

West Ham - Alphonse Areola, Darren Randolph

Wolves - Matija Sarkic, Andreas Sondergaarde

There are certainly better keepers there than Darlow; there are very few who scream “PL starter.”

7 minutes ago, Nobody said:

As for "no one has a decent number two", Villa have Olsen who is still the current Swedish starting keeper and is much better than Karl Darlow. 

Chelsea have Kepa, the most expensive keeper ever. I know he's been dodgy for them but could still be reliably called upon. 

Palace have Butland and Johnstone, both who are much better than Darlow. 

Everton have Begovic, another former PL starter. He probably have faded a fair bit, but at his best a very decent keeper.

Man Utd will have Dubravka, West Ham Areola, Spurs Forster.

There are clearly a lot of teams that have much better back up goalkeepers than Darlow, and we're giving one of the best ones away for basically nowt. 

Don't disagree with any of this, but I think this one just comes down to respecting what Dubs wants to do. Not sure whether it's a good decision or not, and it really doesn't feel great, but this is what Man City do, so maybe we're a big dog after all.

Well, plus Howe has clearly always wanted to replace Dubs. Since the moment he arrived we started hearing about potential keeper signings. So I guess Howe really just doesn't rate Dubs that highly for whatever reason.

3 minutes ago, gdm said:

Quick question… has Olsen, Kepa, Butland, Johnstone, Begovic, Areola or Forster publicly said they want to leave their clubs? 

I doubt it. But Dubravka is under contract here for a good few more years, we're under no obligation to give him away to a direct rival for a pittance.

We could have gone into the season with one of the best back up goal keepers in the league, but instead we'll do it with one of the worst ones. I absolutely get it from. Dubravkas side, but we should have told him and Man Utd to fuck off unless they were willing to pay us what he is worth to us. 

25 minutes ago, gdm said:

An inevitable £6m plus what ever the loan fee will be on top of that is decent business. 

If it makes Pope practically free then I don't think that's too bad a deal. Good luck to him, but he won't be able to play in the cup finals.

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Nope next question 

People pissed and moaned about him being petty, vindictive and lacking the slightest iota of class and very justifiably. Our new management set up are doing the very opposite and people think we should act like manure did to us. Nah. Show them how to be gracious. 

Honestly this idea that we’ve done Man Utd a favour is laughable. This isn’t Lee Charnley thats doing the deals. We know very little about this deal but let’s get real, it wouldn’t have happened unless it was good for us. We clearly want his wages off the books and £6m may not sound much but it’s the most we’ve got for any of our outgoings so far. Anyway point is this is Newcastle United being run by serious and competent people that won’t be doing ‘favours’

we can all have our opinions but the only opinion that matters is Eddie Howe and by signing a new first choice keeper is signals he doesn’t particularly rate Dubravka. 

Edited by gdm

Feel like people are forgetting that Dubravka is a human being who wants to play. He’s done nothing wrong but we got new owners and a manager who doesn’t seem to rate him that weren’t here when he signed the extension. He’ll get to play Europa League games and cup games in one of the most prestigious clubs in the world.

It’s not ideal for us but I don’t know how forcing an unhappy player to stay here would be optimal either. Any talk about him not being up for a fight for the number one keeper is bullshit, Howe has made it certain it’s Pope’s job and he’s not going to lose it without injuries.

Irritates me that people are unhappy that some players are just happy to collect their paychecks without any playing time but at the same time so many think Dubravka should be happy to be sitting on our bench. He’s been a great servant but it’s now time for him to move on and do what’s best for his career’s last years.

Edited by Pata

Unless we’re paying his salary for them, which seems highly unlikely, we’re not “letting him go for nothing.” We’re lowering the wage bill, freeing up a squad space, and likely getting some money back for a player who isn’t going to command nearly as high a transfer fee as some seem to think.

And we’re not “helping ManU” any more than throwing money at Burnley for Wood was “helping” Burnley. If it’s the best move for NUFC, who cares about the team on the other end.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

I don’t think it has anything to do with being nice to Man United but it’s about being nice to Dubravka. There’s no reason to act like a cunt to a veteran who’s done nothing wrong here.

20 minutes ago, gdm said:

If u factor in a probable £1-2m loan fee are we actually potentially making a profit on a 33 year old keeper? :lol:

Is this a thing? 

Genuine question as I haven't seen it... but I admittedly haven't read anything about it for the past 5 hours or so. 

I'll never get on board with this unless we had them over a barrel or had a decent 2nd choice keeper.  I like and rate Dubs and think it's a shit decision to let him go so late in the day to the detriment of our squad. 

Just now, Wilson said:

Is this a thing? 

Genuine question as I haven't seen it... but I admittedly haven't read anything about it for the past 5 hours or so. 

I'll never get on board with this unless we had them over a barrel or had a decent 2nd choice keeper.  I like and rate Dubs and think it's a shit decision to let him go so late in the day to the detriment of our squad. 

I haven’t saw anything concrete but I’ll be amazed if we loan him for free. That really would be doing them favours 

17 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

People pissed and moaned about him being petty, vindictive and lacking the slightest iota of class and very justifiably. Our new management set up are doing the very opposite and people think we should act like manure did to us. Nah. Show them how to be gracious. 

Totally disagree, you don't let other clubs take the piss out of you like they did in January. If they can afford to pay 150 million plus on two players, then they can afford to pay up on Dubravka. You have your view and this is mine we're not going to agree.

6 hours ago, STM said:

I suspected in January there was something up between Howe/Dubravka/Newcastle because we were being linked with goalkeepers straight away, which was odd and then we went in for Pope/Henderson very quickly.

Perhaps it wasn't personal, maybe Dubravka wanted a new contract and club said no, perhaps he had gotten wind of Man United early and they unsettled him, perhaps Howe doesn't trust his injury record. Whatever it is, the wheels have been in motion since January.

Yes, going from Dubravka to Darlow is a slight loss in quality but we are talking a number 2 goalkeeper here, its something we can think about in January. I'm sure our scouts can find a talented young keeper we can develop.

It sounds like Dubs is forcing their hand - Eddie has said he doesn't want him to go but that it is out of his control. I don't believe the owners are pushing for the sale to go through it sounds like all the pushing is from the player.

Pope seems sturdy enough recently.

image.thumb.png.8946dda1f6b40896c4160290468acda0.png

Dubs forcing this is a big unconfirmed IF, but if true then relying on Darlow for backup seems like a low-risk gamble to get someone out who could turn the dressing room toxic.

The other question of how we should deal with man u may be guided by that. if not then it does seem like a very woodwardian piece of inept transfer dealing. time will tell.

Edited by thomas

I trust that the club did everything it could to keep or convince him otherwise but the guy literally was plucked out of no where and became a top stopper in the league for us and has one maybe last stop to cap off an unforgettable and wild end to his career. He’s been nothing but class on and off the pitch and he’d be our #1 right now if Pope didn’t join.

Edited by Kanji

I trust our people on this. It's an unfortunate development but player power affects us just as much as anyone else.

We'll have more to offer a backup keeper when we finish above Man United and get into Europe ourselves.

Haven't looked into this at all, but if he's not recallable its a mistake.  We should basically be using Manure to keep our second keeper sharp so we can recall him if needed.  If either him or them weren't happy with that then tough.

As others have said, think our hand's been forced by the player but if it turns out we get Pope for 10m and lose Dubs for 5m, that's solid business from where we were last season. Pope's 3 years younger and has been far less injury prone.

As the list of keepers further up shows, loads of clubs have sub-standard backup. Most keepers aren't as injury prone as Dubravka, so most clubs get away with it. It's not easy to keep a good second-choice keeper happy as we've found out here. Usually it's either an inexperienced youngster or an old head who's been around and can do a job in a pinch. 

For the positives, it frees up quite a lot in wages. People go on about transfer fees more but having Dubs on the bench takes a lot of wages away from strengthening elsewhere. Man U can throw that money around but we're light in midfield and attack. And I really rate Dubravka but having injury prone backup is also a gamble in itself. Yes it could come back to bite us but so could keeping him, using up that squad place and not getting an outfield player we need because of his wages. He's only getting older and could be injured when Man U need him.