Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

What was his biggest save? The Mount effort?

Still, he did what he needed and it's great to have such a capable deputy. Who knows, maybe actually seeing him play a game and knowing there's competition might give Pope a bit of a push, too.

Dubravka has always been a decent Premier League standard keeper like, before his injury issues a few years ago, I always thought he was in the top 5/6 keepers in the league.

He lost confidence afterwards though, as he used to command his box really well, especially under Benitez, but that was noticeably lacking after his injuries.

While he's not as good as Pope, if Pope did get injured, and we had to have Dubs for the rest of the season, I don't think I'd be worried at all tbh.

On 01/11/2023 at 23:11, The College Dropout said:

Aye. I don’t think he had a save to make of note or had to deal with many crosses or come off his line. 

But his kicking was better than we are used too. 

made a great save at the near post with his foot at the beginning of the second half.

had they scored there it would have given them some kind of momentum.

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Aiston said:

So fucking glad we kept him.

Pope is better but Dubravka is still excellent and I'm sure he'll show it again.

Basically, I have no concerns with him starting to be honest, his kicking is actually better then Pope's too which is a plus. 

Only concern with him is that since his long term injury, he's not been the most commanding of his box, hopefully he's back to that form he showed before it.

It'll be interesting to see how he does, hopefully people realise just how active Nick Pope is across the penalty area now. Dubravka has been working on it, but he's still a goal line keeper, so always feel a little unnerved when the crosses come in.

4 minutes ago, OCK said:

It'll be interesting to see how he does, hopefully people realise just how active Nick Pope is across the penalty area now. Dubravka has been working on it, but he's still a goal line keeper, so always feel a little unnerved when the crosses come in.

To be honest, before he got them two back to back injuries, I remember him being really commanding of his box, since then though he's stayed on his goal-line, hopefully given the time since that last injury he's a bit more confident in hos box.

The main thing we will miss is Pope‘s sweeping (Liverpool last year aside). He’s better on the ball than Pope and is a solid shot stopper, albeit not as good as Pope. I have faith that he will see us through until Pope is back, but these injuries are ridiculous, half of them are so unlucky!