Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

Feeling slight more confident and less nervous going into the rest of the season with him than at the start of December. Hopefully the rust has been shaken, his shoulder is OK and he can do a job for us. 

i would have been shitting me pants (acceptable behaviour at the SOL) if that deflected shot or the other ones from the little ginger bloke had gone in.

feel we may have dropped deeper and deeper and let them come onto us. losing joelinton didnt help.

so i feel Dubs part in the derby victory has been massivley underplayed.

Couldn’t split Dubravka, Trippier or Schar for MOTM. 

I’ll still be happy to see Pope back. But he was superb again tonight. Certainly allayed my fears these last few games about wanting another keeper short term. 

So glad that the cries for De Gea has gone more or less silent now. Having back-up keepers is literally pointless if we can't rely on one with the quality of Dubs.

I was always relatively confident that Dubs would be fine once the rust had worn off, I remember similar happening after each of his injuries, it just wasn't as noticeable as even a half cooked Dubs is miles better the Darlow and Woodman :lol:

15 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think the blaming the deeper line on him has been a cheap shot. We were playing deeper even before Pope's injury. 

He plays miles deeper. It’s obvious and someone put some stats up (FBRef?) on his starting position showing as much. Even when it’s being left for him/shielded for him to collect or he has a chance to come out. I always feel like he is a bit hesitant.

Earlier games he seemed to be a bit no man’s land at times. The last two league games we have been under the cosh and penned in. So it hasn’t really mattered and he’s made countless saves to keep the score down, regardless. I just don’t expect us to start playing a high line again. It isn’t Dubs’ game, clearly. 

But to counter that weakness compared to Pope. He is much better with his passing. So whilst it is hard to change style mid-season. Hopefully we can work on possession a bit better during this break and building from the back. As he usually has no problem switching play out wide or finding a midfielder with a low pass through the middle.  

I’m glad he doesn’t look as terrible as he did at the start, but he’s still not in Pope’s class as a keeper.  We’re conceding at two and a quarter times the rate with Dubravka in nets - and while context as ever is applicable, the difference is still clear. 

• 2 weeks later...

He had another solid game, he's always been a good shot stopper. BUT (I know misery guts that I am) I feel that chance for Fulham near the end where Botman thought he would come for it and didn't highlights what we've lost with Pope being out.  He doesn't command his area like Pope, in the Chelsea game I think Pope claims that ball that Trippier fluffed for their equaliser.  There was another point, again near the end, where a ball was played in behind Burn to the left hand side of the box behind Burn and Pope would have been out to twat it into touch/up the field.  Dubravka stayed on his line and I feel the defense was taken by surprise by this.

Him coming in I think has massively disrupted the back 4 even though he hasn't made any mistakes and actually has been good when called upon to stop shots.