Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

1 minute ago, Funtime Frankie said:

Muric at Burnley could be a back up option to Pope and will be relatively cheap.

He was bought to replace Pope and has similar traits as a sweeper keeper.

Hasn’t he won his place back ahead of Trafford? Bloody right and all.

I read he was quality for them last season and Trafford looks awful

whenever I’ve seen him. Looks tiny in the goal, even though he’s clearly not small. 

He's so inconsistent these days and basically unreliable. Consistency is the key to good keepers and he's lost it. He's capable of great saves still - he was immense against Wolves but far too often he's making mistakes and letting in goals that he should be stopping. Should have done better for the Kudus goal imo and almost fucked it at the end by flapping at a cross. Age and lack for playing time has caught up with him I'm afraid.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Dubs doesn’t even really dive for stuff now, he kind of half throws is body in the general direction. Sometimes leading the the leg as well, it’s weird. 

I’m standing by my modern day, online, psuedo-analyst comment about him collapsing when he dives.

Does it for the second and third today. It’s like he doesn’t fully extend or move his feet to shift momentum before the dive. Just sort of falls over or doesn’t get the spring you’d expect. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Dubs doesn’t even really dive for stuff now, he kind of half throws is body in the general direction. Sometimes leading the the leg as well, it’s weird. 

Has no interest in narrowing the angle for the attacker either. Just stands there. 

8 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Hasn’t he won his place back ahead of Trafford? Bloody right and all.

I read he was quality for them last season and Trafford looks awful

whenever I’ve seen him. Looks tiny in the goal, even though he’s clearly not small. 

He started today and made 11 saves, some from the highlights look decent.

Watched his highlights from last season there were some great saves but what stood out was his distribution.

Definitely need an upgrade from Dubs.

Absolutely gash today. What was he doing when they were through you don't back off like that  I thought Dubs was by far the worst player on the field. He was f****** atrocious.

I had a great view of the first goal and he was pretty much standing on the spot where Antonio took his first touch when the pass was played but for some reason he backed off meaning it was a simple finish for Antonio. Pretty confident Pope saves the second goal too. Pope is a massive miss right now, the back up for next season has to be someone who is confident sweeping those through balls.

Edited by Pata

8 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He's shite like. 

:lol: Your attempts at supporting him over the past few months have been very noble though.

I just keep thinking back to that stat during Covid-Bruceball (the grimmest of times) where it was mistakes leading to goals and he was on about 8 for the season or something. He's obviously declined even further since then and it shows. Looking forward to having Pope back at some point and I presume we'll get another second choice in - maybe Fraser Forster if we want to cheat the home grown game? I know there's talk about that Valencia keeper but unless Pope is broken beyond repair we surely wouldn't waste precious budget on a backup at this stage.

Never been one for slagging players off. Would never do it during a game to any of them and am reticent even on here but Dubs has crossed the rubicon with so many suspect games and so much suspect keeping alligned with so much data to back it up that I just cant see it any other way than he's naff and just expect more of the same until we part ways. 

Though unlike Beasant, Dillon, Tomasson who I felt the same about - at least he'd provided some good prior.

The third one was the most rage-inducing for me. He just stood there rooted to his line, bouncing up and down like nowt was happening as Bowen advanced on him, before a floppy dive where he didn't really get anywhere near it despite the shot not being bang in the corner at all. It's like he's constantly got a bungee rope attached to him that won't let him travel more than two or three yards off his line.

Absolutely chod on the first two goals as well mind you. Conceded 3/4 shots on target and almost threw it away when he wandered into no man's land as Soucek came in at the back stick. 

The step down from Pope to him is absolutely gargantuan, both in terms of quality and the fit for the style we play. 

Edited by Pilko

Glad other people can see how pathetic he’s been in this stint he’s had. 

A few half decent saves against Liverpool (where he gave a penalty away and pushed a few back into the danger zone), a very good game against Blackburn and a half decent couple of saves against Sunderland aside he’s been absolutely awful. Can’t believe people are happy to have him as second choice keeper. Would rather someone young that isn’t scared of coming out of their six yard box.

He was poor for all 3 goals today - and nearly cost us at the end too. 

Edited by Danh1

7 hours ago, 80 said:

:lol: Your attempts at supporting him over the past few months have been very noble though.

:lol:

I'd never blame him for the non-sweeper keeper stuff because that's not his game. He was always a relatively good shot stopper though, but he can't even do that now. 

10 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

He's so inconsistent these days and basically unreliable. Consistency is the key to good keepers and he's lost it. He's capable of great saves still - he was immense against Wolves but far too often he's making mistakes and letting in goals that he should be stopping. Should have done better for the Kudus goal imo and almost fucked it at the end by flapping at a cross. Age and lack for playing time has caught up with him I'm afraid.

I think he could do better for Bowens goal too. Rather than coming out to him he retreats backwards and then the dive for the shot seemed so half arsed!

Hew been a good servant for us but we need a better backup keeper as he just seems to cost us a lot of goals these days.

My experience of goalkeeping is limited to a 5 minute stint during a weekly five a side, where I make token efforts to save shots, with the hope that my stint will end early if I make zero effort. 

At the risk of being harsh to Dubs it sometimes feels that he is adopting the same strategy. Just doesn't save anything. 

footwork for the third WHU goal is so poor. he's covering the near post and just needs to take a step to the right when the ball is crossed and he saves it easily.

Edited by huss9

His saving grace was he was a shot-stopper. That’s no longer in his armoury so I can’t see what positives he brings to the team. 

5 minutes ago, RS said:

His saving grace was he was a shot-stopper. That’s no longer in his armoury so I can’t see what positives he brings to the team. 

He's always been in defensive Newcastle teams up to Eddie Howe, so the one-on-ones from halfway were rarer, and he wasn't expected to sweep up.

He's shown the last few months he still has some good in him but it's becoming less frequent. Also our defensive line is still high despite him not coming out and he doesn't look like ever stopping one of those. Normal shots from in and around the box he's still ok-ish.

Said a couple of months ago that I'd still not stop the way we set out. If we defended deep, we'd not be able to press/attack the same way and we'd be nowhere near the same threat. I'm not convinced we'd be any better off position or points wise, we'd probably have seen 1-1s, 2-1s instead of the 3-3s, 4-3s and that's about it.

11 hours ago, Pilko said:

The third one was the most rage-inducing for me. He just stood there rooted to his line, bouncing up and down like nowt was happening as Bowen advanced on him, before a floppy dive where he didn't really get anywhere near it despite the shot not being bang in the corner at all. It's like he's constantly got a bungee rope attached to him that won't let him travel more than two or three yards off his line.

Absolutely chod on the first two goals as well mind you. Conceded 3/4 shots on target and almost threw it away when he wandered into no man's land as Soucek came in at the back stick. 

The step down from Pope to him is absolutely gargantuan, both in terms of quality and the fit for the style we play. 

I can't hate the bloke but yeah, kick it hard, low and vaguely off-centre and it's basically a goal with Dubs in nets. Might as well not have been there for the first and third.