Leicester City 1-2 Newcastle United - 07/04/18 - postmatch reaction from page 21

Disco

Just watched the highlights, sure it would be given many times but I don't think it was a penalty at all. With the benefit of a replay Mahrez is clearly already on the way down before there's any contact. Couldn't understand why they didn't acknowledge this on MOTD. So whilst we got lucky in that it looked a definite pen in real time, the right decision was given in the end IMO.

No idea how Maguire got away without a red card either.

Just watched the highlights, sure it would be given many times but I don't think it was a penalty at all. With the benefit of a replay Mahrez is clearly already on the way down before there's any contact. Couldn't understand why they didn't acknowledge this on MOTD. So whilst we got lucky in that it looked a definite pen in real time, the right decision was given in the end IMO.

No idea how Maguire got away without a red card either.

:thup:

Im almost certain Dummet plays the ball.

That's virtually immaterial though, Mahrez's legs aren't initially taken away from him by anything other than his own dive.

This is the whole problem with the 'there was contact' nonsense to justify any sort of decision.

It's a tough one, if Dummett doesn't dive in, does Mahrez try anything but continue running with the ball? Either way, the lunge has affected Mahrez and he doesn't get the ball.

Affected him, come on man. :lol:

It's a tough one, if Dummett doesn't dive in, does Mahrez try anything but continue running with the ball? Either way, the lunge has affected Mahrez and he doesn't get the ball.

Dummett putting in a slide tackle only affects Mahrez because he throws himself to the floor :lol:

It was a dive and if anything, the only incorrect decision was that he didn’t get booked. It was actually an excellent decision, as Dave says - in real time it looks like a stonewall penalty.

Or instead of diving he could jump over the tackle and chase the ball? He has enough time to react to take a dive but not enough time to take as rage and leave the defender on the deck and himself thorough on goal?

Or instead of diving he could jump over the tackle and Chad the ball? He has enough time to react to take a dive but not enough time to take as rage and leave the defender on the deck and himself thorough on goal?

Stifler, gan to bed son.

If he doesn't dive, he's fouled.

Exactly! :lol:

Ah, I give up. :lol:

Point is, Dummett's action interferes with what Mahrez intended to do. Isn't there a whole, "there doesn't have to be contact, but the intent was there?" thing? Dummett dived in, doesn't get the ball and it affects Mahrez's actions.

If he doesn't dive, he's fouled.

Exactly! :lol:

Ah, I give up. :lol:

Point is, Dummett's action interferes with what Mahrez intended to do. Isn't there a whole, "there doesn't have to be contact, but the intent was there?" thing? Dummett dived in, doesn't get the ball and it affects Mahrez's actions.

Intent for what? If intent to hurt an opponent yeah. But this reads to me like you're saying players should get punished for trying to make a tackle and not catching his opponent, which just seems like insanity to me. :lol: You might as well just outlaw tackles if a player who misses the ball and man can be done because he's 'putting his opponent off' which is what the 'affecting' reads to me like.

Your position seems to be that Dummett was going to foul him anyway, so it shouldn't matter that he dived first. You could well be right about the foul, but I want to see that literally be the case rather than the attacking player taking matters into his own hands by deliberately falling over before a foul actually occurs.

Allowing players to make their own calls like that just leads to more diving in the hope of getting something. It's deceitful and shouldn't be encouraged.

I think if theres any doubt the player got the ball, and any suspicion the fall is more than the challenge warrants- the refs are siding with the defenders- and so they should- some of the antics playing for penalties has been beyond a joke for some time.

I think if theres any doubt the player got the ball, and any suspicion the fall is more than the challenge warrants- the refs are siding with the defenders- and so they should- some of the antics playing for penalties has been beyond a joke for some time.

:thup:

That 'benefit of the doubt should go to the attacker' bollocks on offsides has apparently been the case for years yet it's literally the complete opposite in practice. :lol:

Defenders don't try to cheat for an advantage like attackers repeatedly do. They should be presumed innocent unless it's clear they're guilty IMO.