Leicester City 1-2 Newcastle United - 07/04/18 - postmatch reaction from page 21

Disco

Just a couple of points to put out there. Still buzzing like mad over the performance and the result.

1. Chilwell looked like he moved his arm toward the ball for our first. If it doesn't go in, it should be a pen and traditionally a red card for handball of a goalbound shot (yellow now for double punishment?).

2. The highlights didn't show it, but I thought Diame kicking Vardy in the nuts was a stonewall penalty. Given the fuss over the Mahrez one, I couldn't understand why it wasn't an issue and people were arguing the toss over a much weaker claim. The Mahrez one was so borderline than its acceptable to not give it even if one angle in slo mo might show something different. I think the way cricket does the verification, with "umpire's call" is very well done. There should be no controversy over very marginal decisions, only over mistakes.

I saw the Diame one on the sky match choice, I think it would have been harsh to give a pen. Vardy jumps into the path of Diames foot imo, Diame can't see him and is only looking at the ball. Plus if he hadn't have kicked him in the balls it wouldn't have looked half as bad

The commentators I was listening to were not having the notion that it (EDIT: Mahrez v Dummett) was a penalty, and it never was. Bookable dive by Mahrez, imho.

Where I differed with the commentators was when they went crazy about the response to Morgan pushing Gayle in the face. The whole time the incident unfolded they were criticising Toon players, and Gayle especially, saying they were trying to get Maguire sent off. They then cheered Lascelles yellow from the same incident. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone, because their commentary didn't correlate with what I was seeing. Bizarre.

It was a pen but also Maguire should have been sent off so honestly don't think they can complain.

Watched it about 4 or 5 times from various angles and in slow motion and I still cant see any contact like. The only potential contact is between knees after Mahrez has already flung himself to the floor.

It was a pen but also Maguire should have been sent off so honestly don't think they can complain.

With Maguire, VAR would probably have given a different decision, but not really a better one. Yes, he had his hand on Gayle's face, but it was a push rather than a punch, and given the way that Gayle was grappling with him, it's understandable that he lost his temper. I'm quite happy to see a ref use some common sense in that situation.

Credit to Gayle for not hitting the deck, clutching his face, which a lot of players would have done.

Just seen the clip of 5 slide tackles In a row, pure class that :lol:

Absolutely loved that man. Can’t recall last team I saw us (anyone) put that many together. Passion, desire, commitment. Just awesome. I liked Shelvey’s comments afterwards as well, saying that nothing feels better than winning a 50-50 and hearing the fans roar.

Minor point but I'm really gonna miss this kit. It's fucking lush.

Hopefully continues to the trend we've had with Rafa as manager after last season and this season's beauty.

SS1 have just shown the bottom half of the table in their build up to the Arsenal vs Southampton game in order to show what situation they are in.

It took me a couple of seconds to realise that we arn’t in the bottom half.

Just seen the clip of 5 slide tackles In a row, pure class that :lol:

Absolutely loved that man. Can’t recall last team I saw us (anyone) put that many together. Passion, desire, commitment. Just awesome. I liked Shelvey’s comments afterwards as well, saying that nothing feels better than winning a 50-50 and hearing the fans roar.

Sounded like our fans were cheering a goal after Dummett's tackle on Mahrez in that run of 50/50s. :lol:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but after the match the players came over to the away fans and Ritchie took his top off and gave it to a kid, followed by the others. All of them aside from Kenedy and Shelvey I think it was, took their top off and either gave it to a kid or three it into the crowd. There maybe a few who arn’t good enough for us long term, but everyone one of them who is playing know what it means to wear the shirt and know how much the fans are behind them. Even the ones who never threw their top into the crowd, I suspect they would have already promised their shirts away.

Never understood the fascination of match worn shirts unless you actually played in the game and exchanged it for memories / keep it for memories. Would much rather have a brand new shirt than a shirt drenched in someone elses sweat.

Membrolilia really, plenty of motorsports auction off things like worn tyres and such.

:lol: