Sunderland

Kaizero

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

Crazy to think they ended 2021 with 4 wins and a draw from their final 5 matches, so 13 points from 15, and a 3-0 win over Donny on Dec 27th, and 5-0 over Sheff Wed on the 30th, but since the turn of the year, they've just won 1 of their first 8 league matches, or 6 points, in League One.

I'm pleased Wigan turned their match around today, as it was looking like it could have been like 2 points from 4 matches for them, with a backlog of matches to catch up on, as well as still being in the pizza cup.

3 hours ago, Dancing Brave said:

"They were our rivals because they were close by, and before, it was even a friendly rivalry. That changed in 70s after one of the Mags showed their true gravy colours by trying to attack us and one of them even killed one of ours."

What is this all about ? 

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/who-are-our-new-rivals.1572356/page-2

Whatever it is, you can guarantee it didn't actually happen. 

Sunderland have been horrifically managed over the past 10 to 15 years but their fans have to accept their part in this, I remember Niall Quinn pleading with them to attend games to generate more money instead of watching the match in the pub on illegal streams, they checked out last time they were in the Premier league and now say they deserve to be back because of their history.

They think small time and anyone with any ambition is gone at the sight if the first offer.

Just a small town club
Livin' in a lowly world
They took the metty train goin' neewhere
Just a shittin boy
Born and raised in South Tyneside
They took the metty train goin' neewhere

A minger in a smokey room
The smell of shite and cheap perfume
For a while they can have a fight
It goes on and on, and on, and on

Don't stop believin'
League one is your ceilin'
Streetlight, peodo
Don't stop, believin'
Hold on
Streetlights, peodo

9 hours ago, Dancing Brave said:

"They were our rivals because they were close by, and before, it was even a friendly rivalry. That changed in 70s after one of the Mags showed their true gravy colours by trying to attack us and one of them even killed one of ours."

What is this all about ? 

As has been said, it probably never happened. Some Newcastle fan probably told a mackem to bugger off 1 day. Add a splash of mackem bullshit and some mackematics and the story will have changed over the years to someone being killed.

Edited by Scoot

10 hours ago, Dancing Brave said:

What is this all about ? 

Almost certainly horse shit.

They excel in myth making. The stakes of absolutely everything they’ve ever been involved in have to be raised to ridiculous levels to justify their histrionics. It’s the reason they’re cock-in-hand at any sort of minor crowd trouble. It can’t just be some over excited kids being dickheads - the type of thing you see at most matches - it has to be some near existential threat they manage to fight off. They’ve watched one too many Nick Love films.

They’re not on nodding terms with reality. If you want to break their brains just point out that NUFC and SAFC fans are the same - from the same places, went to the same schools, work the same jobs, subject to the same socio-economic forces. They end up one step away from phrenology trying to justify they’re utterly deranged positions. It’s class.

1 minute ago, Fatwax said:

There was a poster on here who wrote their dissertation on the the historical rivalry between Newcastle and Sunderland and I'm pretty sure the coal and ship industry were massive factors.

Sure it started with the Jacobites, Oliver Cromwell and coal shipping rights in the 1600s. 

2 hours ago, Scoot said:

As has been said, it probably never happened. Some Newcastle fan probably told a mackem to bugger off 1 day. Add a splash of mackem bullshit and some mackematics and the story will have changed over the years to someone being killed.

How could we possibly have killed a mackem when every hooligan tale they recant over there has a lone mackem coming out on top against a horde of Newcastle fans?

Edited by Sima

1 minute ago, Sima said:

How could we possibly have killed a mackem when every hooligan tale they recant over there has a line mackem coming out on top against a horde of Newcastle fans?

They're getting real life mixed up with Call of Duty, easily done when the pinnacle of your existence when you reach the next level before your mum shouts you down for tea, followed by a few pints celebrating your 50th

35 minutes ago, Sima said:

How could we possibly have killed a mackem when every hooligan tale they recant over there has a line mackem coming out on top against a horde of Newcastle fans?

They seem to love talking about a recent game where they "took the Strawberry". Oddly there's nothing to suggest it ever happened. 

38 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

Sure it started with the Jacobites, Oliver Cromwell and coal shipping rights in the 1600s. 

We were on opposing sides and had historical disagreements for sure but something must have changed in recent history like 50 years or so. I've heard loads of story's of older generations going to Newcastle home games one week and then Sunderland home the following week and a rivalry not really existing then. So something definitely changed I'm just not sure when I'm thinking maybe 70s or 80s? Maybe some of the older posters know more.

It was a friendly rivalry up until the late 60s, early 80s. I know my grandad and his mates would watch them at home when we were away and vice versa, I think hooliganism played a massive part. Although the historic Tyneside-Wearside rivalry dates back before the two clubs were formed, but it was Misty economic and about the ports and industry.

However true it might be, I don't think I've ever sat thinking about the Jacobites, the coal industry or shipbuilding when thinking about my dislike of Sunderland.

They're just a bunch of scruffy, mouthy oiks from down the road who occasionally need putting back in their place. Let's not overcomplicate things.

6 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

We were on opposing sides and had historical disagreements for sure but something must have changed in recent history like 50 years or so. I've heard loads of story's of older generations going to Newcastle home games one week and then Sunderland home the following week and a rivalry not really existing then. So something definitely changed I'm just not sure when I'm thinking maybe 70s or 80s? Maybe some of the older posters know more.

My first memories of these was 1981 , and we hated each other then , before that I can't say . I remember walking down a road with a windmill to Roker , lots of battling near the ground , not once in my 4 visits to Roker did I ever go in the away end :lol:, not because of hooliganism just I couldn't get a ticket and my dodgy mates all went for a fight so got tickets in their end .  I was a wimp. 

I see Mackems all as RTG whoppers,  I don't work with them or mix with any of them . Weird bunch .

No idea how the intense side of the rivalry began. As other posters have said my Grandad used to watch us one week at home and them the next week. 

Even up to the time he passed away in 2006 he said he supported all north east teams. 

When I started going to the matches properly with mates rather than my old man away fans were banned cos of trouble at the matches so something obviously had changed drastically in those 20 or 30 odd years.