Ki Sung-gone

Guest ManDoon

It’s funny that’s this happens after I’ve more or less walked away from football. He’s a youth product of my local club and I’ve seen him play since he was 18. Probably my favorite player at one point but now he mostly represents loads of squandered potential. Decent player, but I thought he was going to be a world beater.

The “shirt sales” thing is just a silly stereotype. I’ve never seen anyone wearing a Swansea shirt in Seoul in my life and NUFC is already well known enough in Korea that this isn’t going to affect things either way.

Welcome back. Hope to see you at Chelsea away!

Haha, falling out of love with football is something I might get over. Being married now is the slightly more challenging obstacle.

Fucking shit isn't it?

This looks a sound piece of business to me, especially if it’s to replace Merino. Obviously a lot less upside at 29 but it seems Merino wants out and we’ve just replaced him with a very similar player who has bag loads of experience, for free.

The fact it flew completely under the radar is class, too. A few more like this please.

From what I have seen, he's a comfortable mid table premiership player, which considering where we are at right now, that's only a good thing.

Hopefully, there are a couple more exciting signings further down line.

Pros

- Fantastic passer of the ball over distance. Was already the best long-passer I had ever seen live at age 18.

- Not much of a goalscorer but has a great long-distance strike when he has space around the box.

- Typical Korean work ethic. Covers lots of distance when he's bothered, uses his big body to push around smaller midfield players.

Cons

- Despite his passing ability, never really developed the vision and composure required to see the whole pitch and destroy defenses with his passing. I thought he was going to be literal Pirlo when he was younger, but he's not really someone who's going to deliver Cabaye-esque killer passes in the flow of the offense. More somebody who can pick up the ball in his own area and distribute competently to forward players when he has plenty of time and space.

- Doesn't really defend at all now despite starting his career as a central defender. Too slow and lumbering (particularly when changing directions) to keep up with most Premiership attacking players. Doesn't like tackling that much unless he's looking to send a message (and get booked in the process).

- Sometimes prone to outbursts and disciplinary issues. Not a dirty player per se, but can get out of control at times.

This looks a sound piece of business to me, especially if it’s to replace Merino. Obviously a lot less upside at 29 but it seems Merino wants out and we’ve just replaced him with a very similar player who has bag loads of experience, for free.

The fact it flew completely under the radar is class, too. A few more like this please.

:thup:

From what I have seen, he's a comfortable mid table premiership player, which considering where we are at right now, that's only a good thing.

Hopefully, there are a couple more exciting signings further down line.

Given how hard he works for Korea on the pitch I'm interested to see what Rafa makes of him. As far as I know he's never played for a manager close to the caliber of Rafa. I think he could turn out better than we expect.

Should age well too. Never been reliant on athleticism.

As an Aussie Korean who has been following Newcastle since the mid 90s, this is a dream come true. My favorite Korean player playing for Newcastle. I have followed ki throughout his career and I could write an essay. But I just need an outlet to say I am so farken happy. I’m now living in korea and woke up due to a mosquito. I check the news and now this. I can’t get back to sleep. Also so happy that I will be able to watch all Newcastle games on tv...and be able to buy kits and other stuff without ordering it from overseas. this is just Unreal. korea beating Germany and now this...Christmas has come early!

As an Aussie Korean who has been following Newcastle since the mid 90s, this is a dream come true. My favorite Korean player playing for Newcastle. I have followed ki throughout his career and I could write an essay. But I just need an outlet to say I am so farken happy. I’m now living in korea and woke up due to a mosquito. I check the news and now this. I can’t get back to sleep. Also so happy that I will be able to watch all Newcastle games on tv...and be able to buy kits and other stuff without ordering it from overseas. this is just Unreal. korea beating Germany and now this...Christmas has come early!