Ki Sung-gone

Guest ManDoon

Guest neesy111

The interviewer on NUFC TV says "You could be the first Korean to play for Newcastle". Does the interviewer think we've got another Korean lined up?

KI says he's good at dead ball delivery. Nice to have another option as at the moment it's only Shelvey or Ritchie.

I was going to say Kenedy, but forgot we haven't signed him. I

The interviewer on NUFC TV says "You could be the first Korean to play for Newcastle". Does the interviewer think we've got another Korean lined up?

KI says he's good at dead ball delivery. Nice to have another option as at the moment it's only Shelvey or Ritchie.

He's Brazilian, and he's made a fair few appearances for us already.

Guest neesy111

He's Brazilian, and he's made a fair few appearances for us already.

In that interview KI says he's going on holiday now (he was in a training camp for South Korea's World Cup campaign not long after the season finished) and won't be back at NUFC until two weeks before the season starts. Not an ideal situation as far as integrating with the squad and learning the tactics but he needs a rest.

Guest neesy111

Assume he's already done his national service?

Was exempt because they got Bronze at London 2012.

Ahh, don't some of the current squad need to win the Asian games to make themselves exempt?

Players to represent us in the PL by birth country if Ki plays for us:

England 87

France 30

Scotland 8

Spain 8

Ireland 6

Netherlands 6

Senegal 5

Argentina 4

Northern Ireland 4

Switzerland 4

USA 4

Wales 4

Brazil 3

DR Congo 3

Germany 3

Nigeria 3

Australia 2

Cameroon 2

Czech Republic 2

Denmark 2

Greece 2

Italy 2

Ivory Coast 2

Jamaica 2

Algeria 1 Angola 1

Belgium 1

Burundi 1

Canada 1

CA Republic 1

Chile 1

Colombia 1

Croatia 1

Cyprus 1

Georgia 1

Ghana 1

Kosovo 1

Norway 1

Paraguay 1

Peru 1

Portugal 1

Serbia 1

Slovakia 1

Slovenia 1

South Africa 1

South Korea 1

Sweden 1

Trinidad & Tobago 1

Turkey 1

Uruguay 1

Forgot about Ketsbaia. Depends if you count Georgia as Asia or not (FIFA include them in Europe).

Not sure what CA Republic is

Assume he's already done his national service?

Was exempt because they got Bronze at London 2012.

Ahh, don't some of the current squad need to win the Asian games to make themselves exempt?

Yes it's seemingly the last opportunity for the likes of Son.

But the Asian Games runs during the season from August to September. Since Spurs are reluctant to let him leave twice during the season, he may miss the Asian Cup (much more important in football terms, but doesn't count for NS exemption) in January.

The whole process of what allows you exemption is totally nonsensical and arbitrary really.

I'm really pleased to welcome Ki Sung-Yueng to our club today. He captained South Korea at this summer's the World Cup. He's a player with vast Premier League and international experience, having played for Celtic and Swansea, so it was an easy decision to bring him here.

As I said before, he's the captain of his national team, South Korea, has a good personality and I'm sure he'll prove to be a good addition to the squad. As always, we continue to work hard. COME ON TOONS!!! 

No need to say who the quotes off :lol:

Oldtype, from your detailed description above it sounds like he could be someone to rotate with Shelvey perhaps?

Felt we missed a similar player to Shelvey when he was unavailable last season.

Could that be his role maybe?

Oldtype, from your detailed description above it sounds like he could be someone to rotate with Shelvey perhaps?

I think Shelvey is more dynamic in offense, Ki is more physical and covers more ground. For what it’s worth, a lot of Koreans think his best role would be as a deep roaming playmaker or even Libero in a back three. Really need to make sure he’s not under too much pressure from defenders closing down to fully leverage the passing ability.

I think Shelvey is more dynamic in offense, Ki is more physical and covers more ground. For what it’s worth, a lot of Koreans think his best role would be as a deep roaming playmaker or even Libero in a back three. Really need to make sure he’s not under too much pressure from defenders closing down to fully leverage the passing ability.

Recall he was decent with Shelvey as a midfield pairing in Swansea.

Do you reckon Shelvey is more dynamic in offense?*

*attack

Shelves is the best player in world football of all time - so yes.

Bit off thread but watching England last night shows what a dumb decision it was to not take shelve to Russia. Delph, Dier really??