Ki Sung-gone

Guest ManDoon

Guest neesy111

Do you reckon Shelvey is more dynamic in offense?*

*attack

Shelves is the best player in world football of all time - so yes.

Bit off thread but watching England last night shows what a dumb decision it was to not take shelve to Russia. Delph, Dier really??

Fucking bingo dude. As I've been saying in the WC thread Southgate has exposed himself imo.

Not this crap again.

Do you reckon Shelvey is more dynamic in offense?*

*attack

Shelves is the best player in world football of all time - so yes.

Bit off thread but watching England last night shows what a dumb decision it was to not take shelve to Russia. Delph, Dier really??

Fucking bingo dude. As I've been saying in the WC thread Southgate has exposed himself imo.

Not this crap again.

[emoji38]

Lots of Ki/Shelvey hugs here..

(YT)  Ki Sung Yueng - Swansea Player of the Year. F*ck you laudrup!

Read two more articles suggesting Ki and Shelvey had a good understanding with each other, and Shelveys departure from Swansea certainly coincided with a decline in Ki's effectiveness.

Reading into everything it seems to me he grew disillusioned with Swansea. Playing well again as soon as he went out on loan to Sunderland.

He'll be a good squad player and perhaps more pivotal than that.

As an Aussie Korean who has been following Newcastle since the mid 90s, this is a dream come true. My favorite Korean player playing for Newcastle. I have followed ki throughout his career and I could write an essay. But I just need an outlet to say I am so farken happy. I’m now living in korea and woke up due to a mosquito. I check the news and now this. I can’t get back to sleep. Also so happy that I will be able to watch all Newcastle games on tv...and be able to buy kits and other stuff without ordering it from overseas. this is just Unreal. korea beating Germany and now this...Christmas has come early!

Loved reading this :aww:

Not sure if I’m reading too much into it, but i got a bit wound up when in his interview he was asked if he was looking forwards to getting stuck in straight away and he basically said “nah, going on my hols, won’t be 100% for the first game like but close enough”

Still think he’s a great signing for nowt mind.

He's played a full Premiership season in a relegation battle, had maybe a week off with long haul flights, done a month long training camp with South Korea, played at the World Cup then flew straight to Newcastle. He needs more than a weekend off before starting pre season training on Monday with NUFC. Without a rest he'll burn out.

Will open up more awareness of Sports Direct to the Asian market if nowt else.

Club won't see a massive uptick in shirt sales in Korea, and neither will Sports Direct. Sick and tired of this silly stereotype.

Guest neesy111

Which is completely pointless if they don't sell to that market.  Which they don't.

More beneficial will be Fun88 if they are allowed to operate in SK.

As an Aussie Korean who has been following Newcastle since the mid 90s, this is a dream come true. My favorite Korean player playing for Newcastle. I have followed ki throughout his career and I could write an essay. But I just need an outlet to say I am so farken happy. I’m now living in korea and woke up due to a mosquito. I check the news and now this. I can’t get back to sleep. Also so happy that I will be able to watch all Newcastle games on tv...and be able to buy kits and other stuff without ordering it from overseas. this is just Unreal. korea beating Germany and now this...Christmas has come early!

Class.

Club won't see a massive uptick in shirt sales in Korea, and neither will Sports Direct. Sick and tired of this silly stereotype.

You know this for sure like?

Class.

Excellent

Swansea fan in peace. I’ve always liked you guys since my wife’s sister’s boyfriends kitten came from Newcastle. I’m really pleased Ki is going to you guys, we are just a Championship club but Newcastle is a massive Premier League club. I hope he has many successful years at you’s and I’m really chuffed he isn’t going to those deluded mackems down the road.

How you like that RTG?

Well, I can only speak for Korea in specific, but here it goes:

Signing local players to raise your profile in an Asian country was a good strategy around the early-to-mid 2000s, when most people were just getting into European Football and didn't really have team preferences. Premier League clubs signing high-profile Asian players instantly raised interest in the PL in those countries, and fans naturally gravitated towards the clubs that had those players. Man United struck gold with Park Ji-Sung, for example.

Then time passed and European Football stopped being a new and shiny thing. Almost everyone who would potentially be interested has already tried it out, and out of those, most of the casual fans who just started watching because everyone else did have already moved on. The people who are left now have clubs they've been supporting for 10-15 years. The people who started supporting Man United just because of Park yet stuck around have now lived through a full generation of players past his retirement. They aren't going to be picking up and leaving for NUFC just because we signed Ki.

Signing a Korean player is not going to get you a significant uptick in the Korean market unless you are one of the "big clubs" from the early 2000s that already have significant pre-installed fanbases that would be galvanized with a new local signing. That's Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, and maybe Chelsea at a push. I have never seen a Swansea shirt in Seoul. Ever. I've only seen a Spurs shirt maybe two or three times. Spurs have had two players who dwarf Ki in terms of popularity - YP Lee and Son, and they're also much closer to being a "big club" than we are. I'm sure some people will buy a NUFC Ki shirt (I probably will :lol:) but it will be nowhere near enough to represent a significant increase in club revenue. I'd be surprised if you could even get a NUFC shirt in Korea this year unless you put in some effort looking for it. If you want a real "Park to Man United" level uptick, you're probably going to have to sign some dude from a country that's never had a PL player before (maybe China works, since it's been a while for them.)

To summarize: we are not backwards lemmings who know nothing about football that just flock mindlessly from club to club based on newly-signed familiar names. The "average" Asian football fan at this point may have been supporting their club longer than some of the younger local posters on here have. Kindly fuck off with the antiquated "Asian shirt sale" nonsense.

PS: also, good luck trying to sell a shirt with a Chinese betting site on it in Korea. The only thing us East Asian countries can ever agree on is that we hate each other forever.

Guest neesy111

Think someone that was born in SK will know more about it than you tbh.

:lol:

Why's that? I'm British but I couldn't give you the low down on all British marketing trends.

Why's that? I'm British but I couldn't give you the low down on all British marketing trends.

Tbf,an uptick of zero to anything can be quantified as massive :lol:

Tbf,an uptick of zero to anything can be quantified as massive :lol:

When you put it like that.....

I like this signing, always thought he has looked a good player. Very comfortable on both feet, good passing range, relaxed on the ball, decent positional sense and although not that quick can drive through midfielder from time to time. I'd be slightly worried about him and Shelvey as a 2 against teams with someone who drives with power and pace through the middle, but other than that I think we've signed someone who could very well with both Diame and Shelvey in a deep 2 for most games.

Also after a little bit of a Dennis Wise i've just seen a video of him getting 8 goals in a season where Shelvey gets 4 of the "assists" .

I like this signing, always thought he has looked a good player. Very comfortable on both feet, good passing range, relaxed on the ball, decent positional sense and although not that quick can drive through midfielder from time to time. I'd be slightly worried about him and Shelvey as a 2 against teams with someone who drives with power and pace through the middle, but other than that I think we've signed someone who could very well with both Diame and Shelvey in a deep 2 for most games.

Also after a little bit of a Dennis Wise i've just seen a video of him getting 8 goals in a season where Shelvey gets 4 of the "assists" .

I hope you washed your hands afterwards.