Ki Sung-gone

Guest ManDoon

Do you reckon Shelvey is more dynamic in offense?*

*attack

Shelves is the best player in world football of all time - so yes.

Bit off thread but watching England last night shows what a dumb decision it was to not take shelve to Russia. Delph, Dier really??

Fucking bingo dude. As I've been saying in the WC thread Southgate has exposed himself imo.

*attack

Bit off thread but watching England last night shows what a dumb decision it was to not take shelve to Russia. Delph, Dier really??

f***ing bingo dude. As I've been saying in the WC thread Southgate has exposed himself imo.

Exposed? I would have liked Shelvey in there, and think he'd be a decent plan B, but of all the England managers Southgate, has very clearly picked a team based around the way he wants to play, not around names, and I'm not going to knock him for that, especially considering the atmosphere he's created amongst the squad, fans and somehow the media, in no way has me been "exposed" imo.

*attack

f***ing bingo dude. As I've been saying in the WC thread Southgate has exposed himself imo.

Exposed? I would have liked Shelvey in there, and think he'd be a decent plan B, but of all the England managers Southgate, has very clearly picked a team based around the way he wants to play, not around names, and I'm not going to knock him for that, especially considering the atmosphere he's created amongst the squad, fans and somehow the media, in no way has me been "exposed" imo.

He was called out for picking a one dimensional squad with terrible backup. That has been exposed as correct imo.

So not sure anybody cares to know about our new signing to this detail but I've missed talking about football so I'll just keep writing. :lol:

Ki is a very interesting player from a tactical standpoint because of the odd combination of skills he brings to the table:

(1) Above Average ~ Good work rate, stamina, physicality.

(2) Very Good ~ Great at hitting connective passes when he's in open space and not under pressure.

So there's two ways to use him depending on which skillset you want to leverage.

(A) He can be played in a more advanced role where you leverage (1). He'll run from box to box, cause havoc, get into good positions, maybe occasionally score from range or hit a great pass or cross when he's not being marked. There's a little bit of peak NUFC-form Joey Barton in him if you use him like this.

(B) He can be played as a deep, roaming playmaker where you'll getting full mileage out of (2), sitting right in front of the defense and moving side to side more than up and down the pitch. This way you're utilizing his passing ability 100%. His best pass by far is drifting off to one side and getting the ball in transition and then hitting it out to a winger in space on the other side, and he'll get to do a lot of that playing this position in a pressing, counter-attacking style. He has great stamina for a deep playmaker type so on defense he can ably fill gaps and mark leaking players even if he's not going to win the ball that often.

Personally I think you get a better player if you go for option (B), because you're leveraging his best skill. On the other hand, you basically have to commit to a midfield three where your rear-most midfielder is not very good at winning back possession. This is a more atypical style and honestly he's not good enough of a player (in the PL at least) to build your team around him like this.

Option (A) makes him completely plug-and-play. He'll be a decentish squad player where you can just throw him into whatever 4-4-2 CM pairing and forget about it. For the most part, (A) is how he's been used in his best PL seasons.

In some cases, managers have gotten lazy and dumped him in as the more defensive-minded CM in a midfield two because he's big and strong and runs around a lot. If you do that he's just not a very good player at all.

I feel like Rafa has the ability to line us up in a formation where we keep a good shape and defend even without a dedicated defensive midfielder, so if that's the direction we're going he has the chance to exceed expectations. More realistically though he's a good squad signing that will be fine but unexciting for us starting sometimes and coming off the bench in others.

If he’s the best player we sign it’s obviously crap, but otherwise I think it’s a very smart signing. Especially with Merino seemingly keen to go.

Obviously Rafa shouldn’t have to be signing free transfers from Swansea, but as always he’s making the most of his resources.

I like Ki as a player and to have such an experienced CM to bring in is definitely an upgrade on the squad. Not a leap or anything but a little step.

So not sure anybody cares to know about our new signing to this detail but I've missed talking about football so I'll just keep writing. [emoji38]

Ki is a very interesting player from a tactical standpoint because of the odd combination of skills he brings to the table:

(1) Above Average ~ Good work rate, stamina, physicality.

(2) Very Good ~ Great at hitting connective passes when he's in open space and not under pressure.

So there's two ways to use him depending on which skillset you want to leverage.

(A) He can be played in a more advanced role where you leverage (1). He'll run from box to box, cause havoc, get into good positions, maybe occasionally score from range or hit a great pass or cross when he's not being marked. There's a little bit of peak NUFC-form Joey Barton in him if you use him like this.

(B) He can be played as a deep, roaming playmaker where you'll getting full mileage out of (2), sitting right in front of the defense and moving side to side more than up and down the pitch. This way you're utilizing his passing ability 100%. His best pass by far is drifting off to one side and getting the ball in transition and then hitting it out to a winger in space on the other side, and he'll get to do a lot of that playing this position in a pressing, counter-attacking style. He has great stamina for a deep playmaker type so on defense he can ably fill gaps and mark leaking players even if he's not going to win the ball that often.

Personally I think you get a better player if you go for option (B), because you're leveraging his best skill. On the other hand, you basically have to commit to a midfield three where your rear-most midfielder is not very good at winning back possession. This is a more atypical style and honestly he's not good enough of a player (in the PL at least) to build your team around him like this.

Option (A) makes him completely plug-and-play. He'll be a decentish squad player where you can just throw him into whatever 4-4-2 CM pairing and forget about it. For the most part, (A) is how he's been used in his best PL seasons.

In some cases, managers have gotten lazy and dumped him in as the more defensive-minded CM in a midfield two because he's big and strong and runs around a lot. If you do that he's just not a very good player at all.

I feel like Rafa has the ability to line us up in a formation where we keep a good shape and defend even without a dedicated defensive midfielder, so if that's the direction we're going he has the chance to exceed expectations. More realistically though he's a good squad signing that will be fine but unexciting for us starting sometimes and coming off the bench in others.

Dude.

Players to represent us in the PL by birth country if Ki plays for us:

England 87

France 30

Scotland 8

Spain 8

Ireland 6

Netherlands 6

Senegal 5

Argentina 4

Northern Ireland 4

Switzerland 4

USA 4

Wales 4

Brazil 3

DR Congo 3

Germany 3

Nigeria 3

Australia 2

Cameroon 2

Czech Republic 2

Denmark 2

Greece 2

Italy 2

Ivory Coast 2

Jamaica 2

Algeria 1 Angola 1

Belgium 1

Burundi 1

Canada 1

CA Republic 1

Chile 1

Colombia 1

Croatia 1

Cyprus 1

Georgia 1

Ghana 1

Kosovo 1

Norway 1

Paraguay 1

Peru 1

Portugal 1

Serbia 1

Slovakia 1

Slovenia 1

South Africa 1

South Korea 1

Sweden 1

Trinidad & Tobago 1

Turkey 1

Uruguay 1

Forgot about Ketsbaia. Depends if you count Georgia as Asia or not (FIFA include them in Europe).

Not sure what CA Republic is

The country where Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa was born.

He’ll do whatever Rafa tells him him to or he won’t be played 🙂 he’s most likely never had a manager of this caliber. Even at 29 you can improve. He will.

Milan were reportedly interested in him. That’s where he was supposed to go. He must have a reason if he decided not to take up on that.

I guess he wants to stick to what he knows now and have a few good seasons here before going back to play in the Korean leagues.

And when the fuck did Lee Ryder last have a scoop on transfers at NUFC?! 😮

He’ll do whatever Rafa tells him him to or he won’t be played 🙂 he’s most likely never had a manager of this caliber. Even at 29 you can improve. He will.

Milan were reportedly interested in him. That’s where he was supposed to go. He must have a reason if he decided not to take up on that.

I guess he wants to stick to what he knows now and have a few good seasons here before going back to play in the Korean leagues.

And when the f*** did Lee Ryder last have a scoop on transfers at NUFC?! 😮

Ryder? Quite regularly. He just reports what the club tell him. He's their main media mouthpiece.

Ryder? Quite regularly. He just reports what the club tell him. He's their main media mouthpiece.

Thought that was Sky.

Thought that was Sky.

Mike Ashley's yes.

Club media team use Ryder.

Hard to be excited about this, not because he’s a bad player but once again we are scraping around for free transfers and loans instead of trying to push on. Infuriating.

Merino out for ~£10m, Ki in for 0.

Guess who wins again.

Ki's a solid player. Good passing range, won't ever lose the ball. Keeps the team very tidy and the ball moving.

He was sensational for a season or two, because he seemed to have all of his technical qualities now, but also had non-stop hard running under him. He's lost a bit o that dynamic running capability now. Still, at least as much quality as Diame but gives us something different, Diame will be box to box allowing Shelvey to play deep-lying playmaker, Ki will be the solid deep-lying midfield sweeper who allows Shelvey to get more forward and control the attack.

Ki is like a Shelvey with a harder tackle and more running, but perhaps not as much creativity. I imagine Rafa being able to rotate Diame and Ki next to Shelvey very effectively depending on what kind of game-plan he has for each game.

Watch him, you might be underwhelmed now, but his quality will shine through over a season, mark my words.

https://thejack.army/threads/ki-on-a-free.15585/

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/226119/has-ki-gone-to-newcastle-or-not/#18

The usual sour grapes I suspect, they think he has an attitude and not a grafter.

Said the same about Shelvey if I recall so a good signing based on that.

Probably something about that team then that fucked players off and it reflected in their games.

A piece from 4-4-2 on how Gary Monk settled Shelvey's game and alongside him played Ki and Sigurdsson.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/how-jonjo-shelvey-overcame-himself-soar-swansea-and-perhaps-england

From a Statsbomb article on Swansea the year they finished 8th.

https://statsbomb.com/2015/06/were-swansea-lucky-to-finish-8th/

Ki Sung Yueng managed 8 goals from 28 shots though, giving him a ridiculous conversion rate of 28.6% from centre-midfield. According to objective football’s numbers, this is the highest shot conversion rate of ANYONE in the league to have played more than 1000 minutes.  I’m trying desperately to avoid a “the key to…is Ki” pun here, for the record, but Monk’s switch to a diamond in January allowed Ki more freedom to attack and he definitely made the most of it.

Definitely has attitude. Always had a reputation as a troublemaker (mostly maturity/anger management stuff), although he seems to have settled down a bit after getting older/married.

If I remember correctly there was a big scandal a few years ago because he had a secret Facebook account he used to slag off national team coaching staff.

Not sure if I’m reading too much into it, but i got a bit wound up when in his interview he was asked if he was looking forwards to getting stuck in straight away and he basically said “nah, going on my hols, won’t be 100% for the first game like but close enough”

Still think he’s a great signing for nowt mind.