Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

He reads the game really well defensively and offensively. Alot of last year I was frustrated with his finishing or decision making. But he definitely improved as the season went on and has carried that on into this. 

I would say that fantastic move down the right where he tried to drill it across, he should have spotted Gordon for an easy cut back, but apart from that he was excellent. Took his goal well.

Felt like we signed Tonali to replace Sean's position in the first 11 but the way the season has started he is making his claim to hang on to it. And likely will now with Tonali's looming ban. 

16 minutes ago, alexf said:

He reads the game really well defensively and offensively. Alot of last year I was frustrated with his finishing or decision making. But he definitely improved as the season went on and has carried that on into this. 

I would say that fantastic move down the right where he tried to drill it across, he should have spotted Gordon for an easy cut back, but apart from that he was excellent. Took his goal well.

Felt like we signed Tonali to replace Sean's position in the first 11 but the way the season has started he is making his claim to hang on to it. And likely will now with Tonali's looming ban. 

He’s reacted in the right way and taken on the challenge. 

Thought last season that his good form was basically because he had some excellent players around him that were covering for his deficiencies. I was wrong, he’s just a bloody good footballer. He’s now added goals and intelligence to his game, to add to the work rate and athleticism. Keep this up and he surely gets an England call up in November.

7 hours ago, NSG said:

Thought last season that his good form was basically because he had some excellent players around him that were covering for his deficiencies. I was wrong, he’s just a bloody good footballer. He’s now added goals and intelligence to his game, to add to the work rate and athleticism. Keep this up and he surely gets an England call up in November.

He's got a strong shout for being called up already, but I don't think Southgate fancies him. Which is even odder because he does plenty of Henderson-style hard work. I'm delighted for Longstaff this season, he's started to score the goals he was always in position for last season, he's growing in confidence and he seems to just get better at playing a strong team role, keeps contributing all round. For some reason I don't think he'll get rewarded with an England call, but it wouldn't be a reflection on him. 

Quickly becoming as integral for us as Henderson was for Liverpool. Hes not the most technical or has an abundance of ability but his contribution to the midfield 3 and his workrate is outstanding. If he can add goals to his game now it will push him to that next level. He was one of the group i thought wed have to upgrade to move to the next level but im unsure of that now. Our midfield seems so much more balanced when hes in it

I was playing Club Cricket Manager 2022 the other day, and talking to Sean Longstaff about it. Somehow the conversation steered towards Steve Bruce, and he grabbed me by my double polo neck collars and said "You ever mention that name in front of me again and I'll get my Dad to chin ya". 

On 22/10/2023 at 05:47, NSG said:

Maybe Phillips will still be starting next year after spending the season playing for Leyton Orient reserves.

I watched the Sean press conference last night. I took a shot every time he said "like I said" or similar. I was mortal by the end of it.

But on a serious note, it was a good watch. You can see the way Eddie handles the media is rubbing off on him.

49 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Fantastic press conference. Even though I’ve always had difficultly rating him he’s a brilliant lad and it’s great seeing him living the dream. 

Its been said before that hes not especially skillful or blessed with amazing technique, he's not known for providing assists and hes not much of a great tackler. Hes the sort of player who is appreciated more by the manager than by the fans due to his workrate as this means hes an extra man on the pitch depending on where the passage of play is.

He can play wide in attack and in defense as well as in central areas from box to box. Its like hes a roaming pivot - that sounds a bit crap written down but its about as close a description as I can come up with.

Here’s what I do if I am Howe. As Tonali is out, loan Phillips for squad depth. Proceed to bench him for Longstaff. 

Watch as Southgate struggles to conduct mental gymnastics to still pick Phillips over him. There would be nowhere to hide for Southgate and his nepotism.  

Southgate is sacked, England get a better manager and win the World Cup. 4D chess from Howe.

Edited by Jesse Pinkman

On 22/10/2023 at 05:47, NSG said:

You’re right about his football, but fuck England they can keep their hands off. [emoji38]