Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

5 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Remember when Manure were going to give us £50m for him?

remember a few games ago when we were desperate to get him back.

all the injured players are coming straight back in without being able to build up any kind of fitness.

and they;re coming into a team low in confidence and knackered.

6 hours ago, Jaqen said:

We have a problem where our CMs look absolutely terrible if they have to play on the opposite side than they're used to. Both the Joe's were awful when they've played on the right, Longstaff and Tonali both similarly looked poor playing on the left. 

Good point, I feel a lot of our success comes from our 'system' the majority of the time

Probably the reason we perform/have performed better than the sum of our parts, but when it's not going well such as now, individual players levels and abilities stand out

56 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Looked good on the ball first half but Jesus Christ fuck off with that embarrassing shite. 

Don't remember him looking good on the ball for a long while. He tends to jog around where the ball is without actually doing anything with it.

Like every player post. Caveat that sunderland were shite. But I thought he was much better back with his usual mates down the right. Seemed more involved and was getting about the pitch more. 

Have loved his off the ball work for a while. Both in attack and defence. But my word (Ray Wilkins RIP). His finishing and composure are so bad when under the slightest bit of pressure. 

Such a shame. As he offers something none of our other midfielders do. He crashes the box late and gets chances because of it. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Like every player post. Caveat that sunderland were shite. But I thought he was much better back with his usual mates down the right. Seemed more involved and was getting about the pitch more. 

Have loved his off the ball work for a while. Both in attack and defence. But my word (Ray Wilkins RIP). His finishing and composure are so bad when under the slightest bit of pressure. 

Such a shame. As he offers something none of our other midfielders do. He crashes the box late and gets chances because of it. 

Nothing wrong with what he does, we just need a better version.

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Well, quite 

Exactly. All that is up in the air at them moment, we still don't know what we've got there.

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

Nothing wrong with what he does, we just need a better version.

I mean. When he regularly wastes the chance, picks the wrong pass, doesn’t get a decent touch on it, in those positions. I would say there is a bit wrong with that. 

That is what is so frustrating. As if he had a bit more composure and consistency. He would be massive for us. 

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

I mean. When he regularly wastes the chance, picks the wrong pass, doesn’t get a decent touch on it, in those positions. I would say there is a bit wrong with that. 

That is what is so frustrating. As if he had a bit more composure and consistency. He would be massive for us. 

It's like saying if Dan Burn was a monster in the air and had pace to burn he'd be unstoppable though. Longstaff does the running and puts in the hard yards, but I don't think his temperament suits composure or vision.

13 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's like saying if Dan Burn was a monster in the air and had pace to burn he'd be unstoppable though. Longstaff does the running and puts in the hard yards, but I don't think his temperament suits composure or vision.

Yeah. I don’t mean he is suddenly going to become that player. He has been brilliant for us at times. But probably never going to get to the level we need.

Before we scored today, he probably should have done better with the header and then blazed two half decent chances over. Incredibly frustrating that he is usually wasteful.

Still seems harsh to criticise him and write it down like this. As it is often his hard work and knowing when to make that run that gets him the chance in the first place. 

That’s the thing though, he’s a valuable squad player and for where we are right now he is an important first team player a lot of the time but if you look at Howe’s first 11 (omitting Tonali as he’s still an unknown really, having not found form for us before his ban) then the three immediately identifiable weaknesses that can be upgraded on are -

Burn

Longstaff

Almiron

Is Hall Burn’s replacement? Not remotely clear. Is Tonali Longstaff’s replacement, yes most likely. Almiron doesn’t have a replacement yet

2 hours ago, captainhaircut said:

Just watched the highlights. Dubravka save from the deflection comes from his usual trick- panic when pressed and produce a dreadful dive. 

Was poor today, as he has been for the last month or so. The falling over and complaining to the ref needs to stop. It puts us under instant pressure.

I've defended him the last year but we need to get another MF in, ideally a DM, Philips would be a huge upgrade on Longstaff iMO.

When his passing is off and he can't hit the ball cleanly when in front of goal I do honestly just think passenger, love local lads to inspire our academy that there is a chance you aren't here just to be farmed for ffp he is definitely a position to be improved upon.