Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Yeah, can always fault his technical qualities but never his effort.

If everything had gone to plan this year he would have been a back up player to Tonali but circumstances have changed that. 

Just need to hope he kicks into last season's form and has a stronger end to the season because there is no one else until Willock returns. Then we can rotate him and Miley for that right side role. 

He did the engine room job well last night I thought. The finish, whilst shit, was one of a tired player I thought, he started to look a bit leggy last 15 mins and that run to get to the chance was a lung-buster.

Don't see any other PL sides stumping up enough cash for him for it to make a real difference in terms of FFP so think he'll be part of the squad for a good while yet, which I'm perfectly happy with tbh.

42 minutes ago, Bellars said:

Think he just needs a rest to get the best back out of him. He's been trotted out and run into the ground every match this season.

It's true. We've all been rightly sympathetic to Howe having to deal with all of the injuries etc. But then we'll call a player out, like most have with Sean, despite the him having to go through what Howe has but as a player. There are a bunch of players who are running on empty. 

I'm thankful he's stayed fit during this time and helped contribute to our recent wins. 

Didn't think he was great today in terms of general play but going to put some respect on his name because they were both good finishes, something people have been asking from him.

6 goals for the season already is a big improvement on previous years.

Edited by ponsaelius

His second finish was really good. First one was almost unmissable. Second one, he had to receive it, set himself and then score. Often he takes too long on those and allows keepers to get a block in. I agree, that we got played through too much as we have done almost all season but he did do some tidy defensive work as well 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

His second finish was really good. First one was almost unmissable. Second one, he had to receive it, set himself and then score. Often he takes too long on those and allows keepers to get a block in. I agree, that we got played through too much as we have done almost all season but he did do some tidy defensive work as well 

He’s a black and white McTominay.

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Didn't think he was great today in terms of general play but going to put some respect on his name because they were both good finishes, something people have been asking from him.

6 goals for the season already is a big improvement on previous years.

Fair. Was often a bit sloppy and he was really weak for the second goal. Although there were mistakes galore for that one, in fairness to him. But two top finishes.  

He is arguably our only midfielder who arrives late to crash the box, as I believe it is now called. Willock does it and all, I suppose. Tonali next season, hopefully. 

I thought on the few occassions where he's played as the obvious advanced midfielder (not recently from my patchy memory though), he's always looked lively. He's very good at running in to find space and goalscoring positions, very good. If Bruno had a counterpart to sit with like a Phillips, I think Longstaff ahead of them both with his pressing off the ball to support whoever the front 3 may be, would play a lot to his strengths - not saying anything about his goalscoring positioning.

It's mental how one glaring hole in a team has so many knock-on effects, I hope there wasn't any more we could have done to bring Phillips in, because I think we'll regret it in the medium term. Hopefully we're identifying targets for the summer to fill that role.

• 2 weeks later...

He's like too many others we've got playing at the moment. Him, Almiron and Murphy are support players, they are always going to struggle when the onus is on them to win games when the actual match winners are missing.

He’s quite poor and has been for a while. I think Miley looks a better player than him already and White contributed more in 5 minutes today than Longstaff did in 100. 

2 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

He hasn't looked fit since he came back from his injury, a few times today he made the right but was just too slow.

It's not fitness, it's lack of confidence in his own ability. He's got limited ability on the ball so as a result he doesn't really want it that much.

I'm a fan in general but he looks shot to bits at the minute. Soon as Willock is able to start I'd sit him down for a few weeks. Hell, start Joe White at Ewood and give him a break.

Just posted in the Howe thread, to look at him you wouldn't think he was slightly older than Bruno. Goes down easily, whinges when he doesn't get decisions his way and has went missing for a while. The last couple of months he needed to really step up and try and give Bruno a bit more support in that midfield, instead it's been like he's had to try and carry two 17 year old novices.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

He's had an incredible decline this season, lost a yard of pace, makes terrible decisions and simply can't read the game. Don't get me started by the way he tries to buy free kicks and ends up letting the opposition have a free run. There was one bit of play today where he let the arsenal player run past him and put in a half arsed sliding challenge when the player was already gone, awful.

Edited by pubteam