Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

I felt sorry for him there. He needed a break, quite clearly, so was made to play the whole 120 minutes.

Really hope Willock and Anderson can take the burden off him for a while, cut his playing time down, get himself right and come back to his levels where he's useful.

He was poor but he's still physically more capable than Miley so I don't think there was anything barmy about him seeing out the 120. That said there were one or two duels where he looked weak as piss.

His main strength is his stamina so it made sense imo considering other load management we're having to do with Miley/Willock/Anderson.

I'm hoping it means he doesn't start on the weekend, like, because Wolves will be all over sneaking the ball off him and breaking rapidly.

Everyone was pretty shite tonight, but Sean looked like a trailist. So many times muscled off the ball, poor passing could name a lot more. Would start Miley ahead of him.

People saying he is more physical than Miley is barmy. Was absolutely spent in the last 10 minutes of the 90 and in extra-time (he only needed to stand up to put that sitter away), and just flopped over yet again whenever touched. Painful to watch.

Does he still struggle with his old injury? Sat very close to the field today and noticed when he is walking, his right toes stubs the ground very often as if his foot got mobility issues or that he can't feel it properly. Was like that before his injury as well and haven't noticed if that is just how he walks normally.

1 hour ago, magorific said:

People saying he is more physical than Miley is barmy. Was absolutely spent in the last 10 minutes of the 90 and in extra-time (he only needed to stand up to put that sitter away), and just flopped over yet again whenever touched. Painful to watch.

Agreed that he was weak in the ground duels tonight but in terms of the whole physical package I think he's clearly got more in the tank than Miley (as he should given the age difference). He gets absolutely everywhere, is better in the air and provides a greater goal threat. 

Screenshot_20240228_005620_Sofascore.thumb.jpg.14f20b1efc307012170576906ac4f977.jpg

Screenshot_20240228_005651_Sofascore.thumb.jpg.e96a601e68a13f8e68be4b249dbb2ed0.jpg

Again, agree that he didn't have a good game but it isn't a mystery to me as to why Howe keeps him on.

I think the truth in his ability is somewhere between last season and this season. He's clearly very low on confidence right now and probably knackered as there hasn't been anyone else available. Hope he can bounce back late in the season when we can have Willock and Anderson as rotation options and he's fresher. 

He really needs to quit the diving and whining to the ref when he loses a duel fairly though, looks absolutely pathetic. 

Edited by Pata

This season he seems to slow the game down at the wrong time. Maybe confidence levels but he’s struggling with the fluidity of the game when we are in possession. 

12 hours ago, Pilko said:

I felt sorry for him there. He needed a break, quite clearly, so was made to play the whole 120 minutes.

Really hope Willock and Anderson can take the burden off him for a while, cut his playing time down, get himself right and come back to his levels where he's useful.

Thought he showed a good engine in extra time. Looks like he’s getting his fitness back. His ability to run and run is his only advantage over any other journeyman so I’m hoping he gets his distance legs back. He’ll be playing for the remainder of the season so I hope he runs enough to make a difference.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

Thought he showed a good engine in extra time. Looks like he’s getting his fitness back. His ability to run and run is his only advantage over any other journeyman so I’m hoping he gets his distance legs back. He’ll be playing for the remainder of the season so I hope he runs enough to make a difference.

Thats it ? He runs a lot ? Maybe he should do the 1500 metres instead then 

He's an OK PL player. His attributes shine more when the team is well-oiled and playing well, where his running and and off the ball play can be an asset. On the contrary when we're not playing well his lesser technical ability and composure in possession stick out badly.

He's never going to be a top player and Howe worked wonders getting high level performances out of him last season. I've seen suggestions that he has lacked effort and commitment, which is just a nonsense. But it's hardly unusual for fans to incorrectly try and percept a lack of effort from the stands. Knowing when/how to run/pass/tackle is ultimately a skill issue as a top level midfielder.

Had the misfortune of reading the comments on his Insta post after the game. 

Wonder how many of them were happy to belt out 'Support the team. Not the regime' 

Edited by TBG

1 minute ago, TBG said:

Wonder how many of them were happy to belt out 'Support the team. Not the regime' 

he looks like the typical confidence player.

being a local lad and reading abuse on social media must be killing him.

not really gonna help things.

Would never slag any player off on social media, coward’s trick. He should never have had to play the minutes he’s done this season. It’s not his fault or anyone else’s really. He’s a really likeable lad and I don’t have an issue with him being a squad player other than the fact that he generally looks even poorer when he’s not had game time. Would be happy to see him play in cup games, Europa and get minutes as a sub in the league but starting him this much is just not helping him or us sadly 

25 minutes ago, TBG said:

Cannot believe people go on these players pages and abuse them for poor performances.

I mean .... can we then really complain when they are so poor out there? These fans are partly culpable.

These players need to seriously consider not having social media or at least keep it all private.

I put Longstaff into same category as Almiron and Murphy. In that I love them as players/people (in so much as I know them) but if we are to kick on next season they need to no longer be starting regularly.

Specifically to Longstaff while his breaking the line runs are great his final product, be it a shot or a cross, isn't good enough to be a starter in a team aiming for the Champions League or higher.  All three can be great options off the bench, however, the one Longstaff specific concern I have is that is that he seems to play best when given a run and I don't recall seeing him be a particularly effective sub.

I can see two out of Longstaff, Murphy and Almiron being sold in the summer to raise money for those "next level" signings the club will need to make.