Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think I'm being overly harsh on the likes of him & Burn. We signed Burn because we needed a CB to help us stay up, we overachieved last season with him left-back, and with FFP an issue, we're having to keep players like him, Lascelles, Krafth on longer than we probably want. 

Similarly with Longstaff and Dummett, we've these home-grown quotas and these are the best of years of Academy neglect. 

They can't be starting more than 15-20 across all comps next season though if we're to get to where we want to be. 

TBF Longstaff wouldn’t be starting this season if Tonali didn’t love a flutter. 

It says a lot that a 17 year old who hasn’t fully developed physically is a better option than Sean. Miley is better at receiving the ball, shielding it and passing it. He’s got better creative vision. Once Miley develops a bit more physically then there’s absolutely no way Sean should be getting a game for us other than some sub appearances. If we could sell him, I would but I don’t think it’ll be easy. We need a Nottingham Forest to do something really stupid 

I'm more than happy to concede he shouldn't be part of the future if we want to be a top team, but the criticism and hate towards him is way over the top, same with Burn. They're both living everyone's dream, maybe that's part of the problem, and subconsciously at least, possibly there's some jealousy or resentment towards them for that, regardless the over the top reaction from some is just shit support to be against them so much, there's no need for it! 

If the price was right I'd be happy to sell him to help us grow, at the same time though he's good enough to be a squad player for us next season with the limitations of FFP.  

He's in a bad run of form, probably worn out as he has played almost every game. He's a useful member of the squad and would be part of the rotation if we hadn't had all of these injuries. People are looking for a scape goat: yes he is playing like crap now but there are few alternatives.

40 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

I'm more than happy to concede he shouldn't be part of the future if we want to be a top team, but the criticism and hate towards him is way over the top, same with Burn. They're both living everyone's dream, maybe that's part of the problem, and subconsciously at least, possibly there's some jealousy or resentment towards them for that, regardless the over the top reaction from some is just shit support to be against them so much, there's no need for it! 

If the price was right I'd be happy to sell him to help us grow, at the same time though he's good enough to be a squad player for us next season with the limitations of FFP.  

I’m not jealous of him at all. I’m jealous of the likes of Bruno and Isak. I just think Longstaff makes us shitter than we really are. I hope he gets a massive contract at Bayern or something and has an amazing life, it’s not personal.

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Watching the extended highlights and so many infuriating things in those clips [emoji38] passes well short, flopping out of tackles, jogging about when they were on the counter etc.

I hope he's alreet. Regardless of current form, he's a good lad and been brave in talking about his past issues with mental health.

agree.

i think he may be one of those that needs to move from him his home town club.

there's too much pressure on him here - both from fans and from himself.

needs to get away.

He definitely needs a break, but his average level of performance is still only going to be good enough for our reserves. 

As a long-time sceptic I’m biased, but the signing of Tonali suggests the club know what Longstaff’s level is. 

Agreed, it's not just one thing. He hasn't progressed as much as we thought he would. If anything he seems to have gone backwards.

Each time longstaff takes a dive I reckon Eddie should fine him. He's not cute like Bruno, he can't get away with it, he's just a 6ft oath dropping like a sack of spuds.

Not a big Longstaff fan but not going to be critical  of him playing through the pain barrier with injections every game until he gets his operation in the summer.

Questions can start to be asked if he continues to play 90mins but it’s not like we have many alternatives so not the biggest surprise if he does either.

2 hours ago, pubteam said:

Each time longstaff takes a dive I reckon Eddie should fine him. He's not cute like Bruno, he can't get away with it, he's just a 6ft oath dropping like a sack of spuds.

"I swear, on my honour ref, he fouled me" 

He is what he is, but the main things that annoy me are:

1. He's so stiff and lacks good balance. If his back is facing the opposition goal, someone is cutting off the passing lanes towards our own goal and someone is closing him down from behind, he's physically unable to turn and pass the ball sideways or forward and reverts to the flop & pray for a FK. Every single time without fail.

2. He reacts so slow to situations, especially when out of possession. Against Chelsea I don't think he reached a ball first once unless it was passed straight into his feet.

3. So easy to play & dribble past

#1 was an issue last season too, but although not excellent last season, I feel #2 & 3 were much less of an issue last season.

Really looking forward to getting Tonali back. Think we'll see a better version of both him (after having trained with the team so long & focusing on improving his general game) and Longstaff when there isn't so much pressure on the latter. 

On 12/03/2024 at 12:51, pubteam said:

This, then the moan to the ref when he hasn't bought it, and he's already 10 yards out of position. Happens at least once a game. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

On 12/03/2024 at 10:54, huss9 said:

agree.

i think he may be one of those that needs to move from him his home town club.

there's too much pressure on him here - both from fans and from himself.

needs to get away.

That's fine, just don't expect him to pull up any trees if he moves away. He's very much a homeboy IMO, if anything I think he'd find it harder playing at another club where the fans won't be as forgiving because he's a local. He's playing above his level at the moment, I think he'd look far more confident in a championship side. Even at a lower half Prem club there'd be a lot of pressure and moaning fans.

I don't necessarily think he needs to move away, he just needs to be used as a squad player. He can be effective and it's great keeping a local core, he just shouldn't be starting every match. This season's injuries and Tonali have dictated that he plays much more, next season he'll player a lesser role (touch wood) and I bet he looks all the better for it when he does feature.

7 hours ago, Pilko said:

I don't necessarily think he needs to move away, he just needs to be used as a squad player. He can be effective and it's great keeping a local core, he just shouldn't be starting every match. This season's injuries and Tonali have dictated that he plays much more, next season he'll player a lesser role (touch wood) and I bet he looks all the better for it when he does feature.

I agree, I just think it's far too infrequent for someone who we're suggesting plays...infrequently [emoji38]

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If we can get £18-20m for him just do it. We can keep Anderson around the 6th choice mark and Miley's ceiling is far higher.

Living up to your username there.