Fabian Schär

38 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep.  I am. 

I agree with this. Howey was an excellent CB for us. Likewise, Steve Watson was a fantastic full back. Maybe it's because they were local lads that came from the Ardiles team that people underrate them.

Woodgate is head & shoulders the best CB seen at NUFC in the last 40 years but obviously people tend to only remember the injuries. For me, peak Collocini is currently the 2nd best CB we have had in that same 40 year period. Botman will likely take that mantle away from him very soon.

Schar is superb too and I would put him in the same bracket as Phillipe Albert. Similar playing styles too IMO.

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I agree with this. Howey was an excellent CB for us. Likewise, Steve Watson was a fantastic full back. Maybe it's because they were local lads that came from the Ardiles team that people underrate them.

Woodgate is head & shoulders the best CB seen at NUFC in the last 40 years but obviously people tend to only remember the injuries. For me, peak Collocini is currently the 2nd best CB we have had in that same 40 year period. Botman will likely take that mantle away from him very soon.

Schar is superb too and I would put him in the same bracket as Phillipe Albert. Similar playing styles too IMO.

Howey’s injury problems are forgotten, unlike Woodgate’s.  Howey wins 25 England caps without the fitness issues between 93-97, for me. 

Also like others say, not bothered about a DC this January. 

A DM for me, release Bruno further forward. Feel he's wasted sitting deep, I'd love to see him driving into the box more and getting goals.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

I’ll never understand why Coloccini gets away with the absolute shit he served up in his last 4 years, as good as he was in the Championship and for 1-2 seasons in the PL. The amount of absolute drubbings we had when he went missing and goals conceded due to his cowardice or tendency to be bullied. Not to mention the fake injuries. Plus, Schar is better at basically everything.

Don't think we've done this only to sell him in the Summer. Think we probably do sign a CB in the Summer, but it will be Lascelles who leaves. The new CB will probably be signed with an eye to be phased in as Schars replacement over the course of a year or so. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

I’ll never understand why Coloccini gets away with the absolute shit he served up in his last 4 years, as good as he was in the Championship and for 1-2 seasons in the PL. The amount of absolute drubbings we had when he went missing and goals conceded due to his cowardice or tendency to be bullied. Not to mention the fake injuries. Plus, Schar is better at basically everything.

This. Colo shouldn’t even be in the conversation for best recent CB based on (in)consistency alone.

Schar is easily ahead of Colo

Colo was here for 8 seasons and had probably 3 really good ones (1 of which was in the championship) and he had some horrors too

Schar was class under Rafa and has been class under Howe, he's already had more good seasons and in less time 

Woodgate is a better defender but you have to factor in longevity too, he only had 1 season and whilst he was class it doesn't trump the 3-4 good seasons of Schar 

4 hours ago, aussiemag said:

Coloccini was class for three seasons. 

And shit for the other four, although to be fair, he did benefit from the zany hair escalator clause that made some of our support view his time here in rose tinted glasses.

Edited by Beth

58 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

This. Colo shouldn’t even be in the conversation for best recent CB based on (in)consistency alone.

It's not a very long list tbf.