Fabian Schär

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

His yellow was clever defending last night, could have been a disaster if he’d timed it just wrong (either giving a red or not catching the player) 

Nah it was from poor defending, he misjudged the acceleration of their player and on another day it could have been a red, same with Shelvey’s tackle. He was out smarted basically. He had a reasonably solid enough game but him and Lascelles need a tonne of protection in front of them otherwise they can fall apart. They don’t inspire confidence in me unless it’s defending headers out or hoofing it to safety, not exactly the traits of top-class defending, though!

I’m not saying that he judged it well to begin with, I’m saying the way he reacted to getting caught out was the best possible response and if he’d messed it up even slightly it would likely have changed the course of the game 

I think he leaves in the summer either way. He's been here a long time (relatively) and I just don't think he works in a Premier League back four. 

Credit to him, he was overall quite good last night, I just hope he can be consistent with that if Howe selects him.

On 09/02/2022 at 15:29, Thiago said:

I think he leaves in the summer either way. He's been here a long time (relatively) and I just don't think he works in a Premier League back four. 

Credit to him, he was overall quite good last night, I just hope he can be consistent with that if Howe selects him.

I think he’s a weak link personally. 

30 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think he’s a weak link personally. 

Yeah, he’s just not suited to this back 4 we are playing now. He would fine in the middle of a 5 but it looks like that’s not the direction Howe wants to go, side point but I know Lascelles is limited and people have got on his back as he seems to be one of the scapegoats when things arnt working but put a good partner next to him and I think we’ll see the player that he was under Rafa. It can’t help being partnered with someone who’s not a back 4 CB.

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Yeah, he’s just not suited to this back 4 we are playing now. He would fine in the middle of a 5 but it looks like that’s not the direction Howe wants to go, side point but I know Lascelles is limited and people have got on his back as he seems to be one of the scapegoats when things arnt working but put a good partner next to him and I think we’ll see the player that he was under Rafa.

We could play three CB with:

Schar Lascelles Burn 

Trippier would be great as a wing back but maybe Targett is a more orthodox LB.

You then probably have to lose a CM for the extra defender and we have looked more solid since JL7 has been part of a midfield 3.

Nice to have options.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Very pleased to see him get a chance alongside Burn. Keep them both in please. 

Think there is a great balance between the two and they're both so cool and calm on the ball and use it so well. Looked a very natural pairing straight away.