The Magpie Group

Heron

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I wasn’t there today anyway, but truth be told it’s been blatantly obvious that there’s no desire for this kind of protest (or boycott) at all, let alone after the recent good run. Plus with the TMG groups overall lack of clarity on many of these protests, it’s no surprise it was poorly observed.

Fair play to those who did, though.

Sniping at those trying to do something. If you don't like it, get involved and influence them to do it  differently

were people actually giving protesters abuse outside the ground?

Aye, I saw a few of them confront the long haired guy that leads the protest and tell him to get inside to support the team, the turn out for the protest has dwindled down to a few hardy souls as well

Guest firetotheworks

Apparently not jeering Perez is Pro-Ashley. Man, I can't be fucked with having that level of brain-dead stupidity in my life.

Like I posted the other day, the group need to save face and cancel the boycott and halt any planned protests inside the ground. Today goes to show why they need to.

not sure i get what you mean.

Like I posted the other day, the group need to save face and cancel the boycott and halt any planned protests inside the ground. Today goes to show why they need to.

not sure i get what you mean.

Uptake is feeble. When Sky mention next Sunday that there's a planned boycott before the game and hardly anyone is boycotting, that's only bad publicity for the MG, not Ashley. Appetite for protests just isn't there anymore. Today shows that.

It had to go ahead today, I do think the boycott should be postponed but you have to spin it as listening to fans and it was an experiment in unity. Personally I think they’d be better off having a rethink and taking it nationally - utilising the sympathetic away support to protest a shop in every city they visit - throw their weight behind the London based action. Newcastle is too myopic in its thinking atm.

we cant give up now.

even if it means fans starting to have a go at each other, creating a bad atmosphere.... its all newsworthy and keeps it in the public eye.

It's not giving up. It's keeping powder dry per se. If January is another shambles, appetite for protests is back up again. If January goes well, we break our record and sign someone like Almiron or someone of quality, the MG can claim partial responsibility for the from the early pressure in August-October.

It had to go ahead today, I do think the boycott should be postponed but you have to spin it as listening to fans and it was an experiment in unity. Personally I think they’d be better off having a rethink and taking it nationally - utilising the sympathetic away support to protest a shop in every city they visit - throw their weight behind the London based action. Newcastle is too myopic in its thinking atm.

Aye that's fair. :thup:

Easy to preach from the outside, but it appears to be that the main obstacle is a divided fan base. If The Magpie Group is meant to cover all supporter organisations, it must have a glaring hole in how to represent the casual fans.

Next step should be educating the casual fans, old fashioned style. Leaflet drops door to door, a5 with 3 facts in big letters about Ashley's reign, with a link to further info etc.

Fanbase needs to be United before anything will work imo.

Boycotts work when you have the majority, but when you're the vocal minority it won't work. Direct action now is not the right approach, the right approach has to be unite the fanbase. Educate everyone until the scales tip to the majority on all the Facebook feeds, twitter etc. in favour of change.

And after a prolonged period and this doesn't work, we'll it's time to rethink allegiances imo.

Hats off to everyone that is trying to make a difference but I dont think any kind of protest is going to gain enough traction with the masses. Similar to the Pardew days when the majority of the crowd moaned at people holding up the Pardew out flyers.

I think at this point the only way everyone would get on board with protests is if Ashley banned everyone from getting into the ground on match day.

A big problem is that the fans turn on the group easily, not just ordinary fans, but fans who are very much involved in the group.

Right from the start you have had fans who supported the group pushing for a boycott, the group wanted to wait until the time was right, until they had the fans on side enough to make it through the up turns in results. A lot of fans were saying the group wasn’t listening or it was pointless doing anything unless a boycott was planned. In all honesty the Wolves boycott from my point of view was forced on them by these fans who started dismissing the group, and I stand with the group’s view that a boycott now is too soon.

We have seen recently that a boycott probably is too early and planned before we have a large enough and dedicated enough support for it.

I wasn’t there for the protests today because I never knew it was happening, but how many of those fans who slagged off the protesters will be in line to hold a banner at the next protests if results drop again? A lot of them will like they did earlier in the season. That is my point and the groups, we needed to place ourselves into a position where we had loyal enough support to get a boycott going, we haven’t done that and have been rushed into a boycott against Wolves which I think will end in disaster.

Communication is key as well. I have already said that today I didn’t even know about the protest ahead of KO. I also think people need a gentle reminder as well. The last home game there was no poor test because of remeberence day, and we have had an international break since then. Also before that the protest that was held was a protest after the match that not many people knew about. It’s all about getting the people from the initial protests to know about upcoming protests. There was too big of a gap between significant protests for anything to grow any traction, and there was too little communication about it all.

I wasn’t there today anyway, but truth be told it’s been blatantly obvious that there’s no desire for this kind of protest (or boycott) at all, let alone after the recent good run. Plus with the TMG groups overall lack of clarity on many of these protests, it’s no surprise it was poorly observed.

Fair play to those who did, though.

Sniping at those trying to do something. If you don't like it, get involved and influence them to do it  differently

Errr, I have been involved in it. Doesn’t change that I think the boycott should be cancelled. There’s no desire for it. Focus on getting at his business interests.

We were warned this would happen from the Rangers & Liverpool lot mind, they had exactly the same issues.

Exactly, keep it going anyway is my advice.

f*** the naysayers, if the hardcore give in, then Ashley has definately won.

f*** the sheep, they are part of the enemy now.

Dead in the water if you ask me. I noticed some animosity to some fans coming in late with the protest. In fact I bizarrely half expected some kind of sneer or words though they never came. There is too much apathy or lack of collective will to believe anything will change.  I was pleased I did it but it all felt pretty futile really which is a shame.

Guest The Little Waster

The journey of a thousand miles starts with one small step ... it should go ahead and they should use it to agitate among the fans , argue the case face to face . More results like today are a help , personally im hoping for relegation and riots

It's endemic of society really. Folk look after themselves, fuck the bigger picture.

As long as I get out with the lads, away from my mundane life for 90 minutes, who's bothered about the future of my club? My decisions and choices couldn't possibly make a difference to my life or anyone elses so I'll carry on listening to the crowd doing the same thing I always do.

To think how far the home crowd has come from booing SBR's team for finishing 5th. Incredible how conmen like Ashley get away with reducing expectations every so slightly year after year until the soul of a collective is gone.