Newcastle United 2 - 1 Bournemouth - 10/11/18 - Post-match reaction from page 12

Mike

Upon reflection I don’t think Bournemouth were as good in the 2nd half as they have been made out to be. The only real danger they provided was a couple of corners which went across the face of goal, and the goal that was ruled out for offside. Compare that to Rondon’s chance, Atsu’s chance, and Rondon’s run late on when he brought down with a man free on goal to square the ball too.

They had more possession in the 2nd half, but in reality didn’t do much with it.

We saw how one dimensional Shelvey had made us. Much better and more fluent without him.

I mean, it's more to do with how not having a ball playing centre back had made us. Put Jamaal back in for Schar and I reckon we go straight back to that.

We saw how one dimensional Shelvey had made us. Much better and more fluent without him.

I mean, it's more to do with how not having a ball playing centre back had made us. Put Jamaal back in for Schar and I reckon we go straight back to that.

I wonder if having a CB who can build from the back would allow Shelvey to actually move into a position that is useful and not take the ball from the toes of the defence only to play 70 yard passes to the opposition every time.

I wonder if having a CB who can build from the back would allow Shelvey to actually move into a position that is useful and not take the ball from the toes of the defence only to play 70 yard passes to the opposition every time.

I think Shelvey likes picking the ball up from deep, he has more time on the ball and can pick his passes better. He does keep the ball well when he's further forward, but I don't think he enjoys the pace of the game in a congested midfield area.

Was at work so missed the game.

Ki played like peak Pirlo if MOTD was anything to go by.

Ki had a superb game, the metronome of the team. Kept it simple when needed, played with a certain ease and always made himself available. And of course as we know, he can play that arrowed, cross-field pass when the opportunity arises. Really looking forward to seeing more of him.

Really enjoyable game, Bournemouth played reasonably well so it's nice to be able to say we won because were the better team rather than some sort of smash and grab scenario.

There is a definite over reliance on Shelvey to create something but agree that it helped that Schar is a better passer of the ball than most of the team. His ball over the top for Perez just before half time was lovely and there were several other examples of him picking somebody out more than 5 yards away. It obviously helps that Ki came in and played really well, he barely gave the ball away and is a very intelligent footballer. A nice option to have. I would be interested to see Diame, Shelvey and Ki as a three in there at some point but probably away from home. That's a discussion for another day though, we know Rafa will rarely deviate from the norm.

Rondon was absolutely outstanding, it's a long time since I've seen a centre forward of ours absolutely bully the opposition centre halves like that. His header was fantastic but his general hold up play and being able to not only win flick ons but generally direct them to another team mate is something we have lacked for a long time. We've seen bursts of what he can do but today it all came together and we look a different proposition with him as a focal point. Let's see if he can back it up or at the very least not come back from International duty with an injury.

Fernandez looks better with every game that goes by, Dummett is rock solid but Dubravka is unbelievable at times. When you think of some of the goals Darlow and Elliot managed to concede last season before he arrived versus what we have now, what an absolute steal he was.

I was worried when we tried to shut up shop, I thought we'd get too deep but to be fair it certainly stemmed things a little bit. Can only assume Diame got a knock because Paco shouted Atsu back during the second substitution and he was on a minute later but it helped us as Atsu was a willing runner, even if he did manage to be offside from a free kick when we were trying to waste time.

It's nice to win the last game before the International break as I feel we never do, it's almost certainly not true but I feel like we've had our fair share of two weeks wallowing in our own misery over the years so it'll be a nice change. On this performance we'll not go down but as it stands this is very much the exception rather than the rule of our general performances this season so we've got to keep this level over the next few games, which are winnable. It's clear the league is still very shit outside of a handful of teams and there's about 12 teams all capable of beating each other but we'll have to make hay whilst the sun shines so to speak because December and January look like tough months, so hopefully there'll be plenty of points on the board by then.

Really enjoyable game, Bournemouth played reasonably well so it's nice to be able to say we won because were the better team rather than some sort of smash and grab scenario.

There is a definite over reliance on Shelvey to create something but agree that it helped that Schar is a better passer of the ball than most of the team. His ball over the top for Perez just before half time was lovely and there were several other examples of him picking somebody out more than 5 yards away. It obviously helps that Ki came in and played really well, he barely gave the ball away and is a very intelligent footballer. A nice option to have. I would be interested to see Diame, Shelvey and Ki as a three in there at some point but probably away from home. That's a discussion for another day though, we know Rafa will rarely deviate from the norm.

Rondon was absolutely outstanding, it's a long time since I've seen a centre forward of ours absolutely bully the opposition centre halves like that. His header was fantastic but his general hold up play and being able to not only win flick ons but generally direct them to another team mate is something we have lacked for a long time. We've seen bursts of what he can do but today it all came together and we look a different proposition with him as a focal point. Let's see if he can back it up or at the very least not come back from International duty with an injury.

Fernandez looks better with every game that goes by, Dummett is rock solid but Dubravka is unbelievable at times. When you think of some of the goals Darlow and Elliot managed to concede last season before he arrived versus what we have now, what an absolute steal he was.

I was worried when we tried to shut up shop, I thought we'd get too deep but to be fair it certainly stemmed things a little bit. Can only assume Diame got a knock because Paco shouted Atsu back during the second substitution and he was on a minute later but it helped us as Atsu was a willing runner, even if he did manage to be offside from a free kick when we were trying to waste time.

It's nice to win the last game before the International break as I feel we never do, it's almost certainly not true but I feel like we've had our fair share of two weeks wallowing in our own misery over the years so it'll be a nice change. On this performance we'll not go down but as it stands this is very much the exception rather than the rule of our general performances this season so we've got to keep this level over the next few games, which are winnable. It's clear the league is still very s*** outside of a handful of teams and there's about 12 teams all capable of beating each other but we'll have to make hay whilst the sun shines so to speak because December and January look like tough months, so hopefully there'll be plenty of points on the board by then.

Spot on

It's nice to win the last game before the International break as I feel we never do, it's almost certainly not true but I feel like we've had our fair share of two weeks wallowing in our own misery over the years so it'll be a nice change. On this performance we'll not go down but as it stands this is very much the exception rather than the rule of our general performances this season so we've got to keep this level over the next few games, which are winnable. It's clear the league is still very s*** outside of a handful of teams and there's about 12 teams all capable of beating each other but we'll have to make hay whilst the sun shines so to speak because December and January look like tough months, so hopefully there'll be plenty of points on the board by then.

Spot on.

Are you sure?

Spot on

Spot on.

Are you sure?

Sort of. Probably.

TjPWZSD.png

Guessing nobody gives a fuck about this today. :rolleyes:

Saw that stat earlier, certainly did not feel like they had more of the ball. They must have counted the 8 minutes or so when their player was down and they were passing a ball around.

I'm sure I read on here that possession is measured by how many passes are made by each team rather than time in possession of the ball, which seems a weird metric. So I wouldn't say it's massively indicative of actual possession of the ball, it just means we made less passes in our possession.

I think it was Michael Cox who mentioned it earlier this season on the Totally Football podcast, and then one of the Opta guys was on later the same week and confirmed it. It came as a surprise to Jimbo and everyone else.

My guess is the biggest distortion will be a game with a high press team versus a no press one. The high press team will force the other teams' keeper and back four to keep moving the ball, i.e., more passes, but its own keeper or center halves will be able to linger on it, waiting for something to happen. With the stat as calculated, your center half standing with the ball for for six or seven seconds will register 0% "possession".

It was a great game for a neutral watcher. Pretty nerve wracking for us the 2nd half, especially considering we have a track record of wasting a 2-0 lead.

I think the defence was good considering we were meeting Bournemouth who are the 4th highest scoring team in the league. Although, I think we were a bit lucky on two occasions not to give away a penalty (Schar and Fernandez). However, we could and should have scored more goals and also gotten a penalty.

Hope we can keep the form up going into what has to be considered a comfortable set of games. Imagine if Kenedy would have scored that pen v Cardiff and we would have drawn at least two of those losses against the top teams.

Its a bit difficult to enjoy the victories mind. I was kinda resigned before the Watford game, hoping that we would get relegated, MA would spend some money to bounce back but fail to do so and finally being pressed out of the club. Now we can only live in the hope that someone will buy us before Rafa leaves