Miguel Almirón

Deuce

On 24/02/2023 at 11:46, Shak said:

Aye, good news this.

Gonna be a valuable squad member for the next few years. Can play either side and think he'd also be quality playing the Willock role as the most advanced of a midfield three.

Would hope someone like Diaby will be a target in the summer as the first choice RW but Miggy will be reliable as fuck there whenever we need him to play.

Was coming into the thread to say just this. He's exactly what you want in a squad player, will give 100%, and does actually have plenty of weapons to hurt the opposition, whether starting or coming off the bench.

Teams have caught on to the patterns of runs between him and Trippier. Trippier may get the odd telegraphed cross in from time to time, but both of them have been fairly ineffective for some time now compared to start of the season. Hopefully Targett is fit to play soon. Nobody cares to cover Burn regardless of how good runs he makes so they basically only have to cover whomever is playing left wing and focus more on covering the striker, Almiron & Trippier.

Love him, has a big part to play in our squad in the next few years, will always be a good option but in a final where you need a dangerous player on both wings he didn’t really offer that. I recognise that’s not always his game but it is really important we get a pacy, technically gifted winger on the right in the summer window to give us more options 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Love him, has a big part to play in our squad in the next few years, will always be a good option but in a final where you need a dangerous player on both wings he didn’t really offer that. I recognise that’s not always his game but it is really important we get a pacy, technically gifted winger on the right in the summer window to give us more options 

Is Gordon meant to be that player?

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Is Gordon meant to be that player?

I’m not sure, I guess that Gordon has the versatility to do it but I see him as floating more and also playing more on our left but he’s still young and things could change 

11 hours ago, Conjo said:

Teams have caught on to the patterns of runs between him and Trippier. Trippier may get the odd telegraphed cross in from time to time, but both of them have been fairly ineffective for some time now compared to start of the season. Hopefully Targett is fit to play soon. Nobody cares to cover Burn regardless of how good runs he makes so they basically only have to cover whomever is playing left wing and focus more on covering the striker, Almiron & Trippier.

I don't miggy doing that overlap run... If every now and then it meant trippier did a cross rather then the pass.

At the moment we 100 percent do the same move with 100 percent failure.

Even if we mix it up then it would give the opposition something to think about 

1 hour ago, lovejoy said:

watched a lot of him have you?

A fair amount.

I'm a fairly keen Fantasy Football Player (finished 65k last year). Anthony Gordon was a fairly popular "budget enabler" in the game. Cheap, took some set pieces, started regularly so towards the end of the season I had him in my team. When Everton were on TV towards the end of the season, he was one of the players I was watching closely. I didn't see much in the way of the genuine ability you would want from a wide player. Worked hard, put his foot in, liked to carry the ball but little in the way of cutting edge or quality.

He's still young. He can develop. New team. Better manager. Better team mates.

But I do think he's meant to be a starter on one of the wings. Him & Isak in 2 of the attacking positions.

Pope

Trippier Botman 

Bruno

Gordon Isak

That's the core of the next era. I expect us to add 4 or 5 in the summer for this team.

12 hours ago, Conjo said:

Tbf, doesn't matter if teams have caught on to the patterns of runs between him and Trippier, there's not that much you can do to stop good pass and move, which is what Miggy is excellent at.

The patterns aren't the problem, it's the final ball or shot which sometimes lacks quality. Even then he's scored 10 goals and we  still have 15 games to play.

19 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

A fair amount.

I'm a fairly keen Fantasy Football Player (finished 65k last year). Anthony Gordon was a fairly popular "budget enabler" in the game. Cheap, took some set pieces, started regularly so towards the end of the season I had him in my team. When Everton were on TV towards the end of the season, he was one of the players I was watching closely. I didn't see much in the way of the genuine ability you would want from a wide player. Worked hard, put his foot in, liked to carry the ball but little in the way of cutting edge or quality.

He's still young. He can develop. New team. Better manager. Better team mates.

But I do think he's meant to be a starter on one of the wings. Him & Isak in 2 of the attacking positions.

Pope

Trippier Botman 

Bruno

Gordon Isak

That's the core of the next era. I expect us to add 4 or 5 in the summer for this team.

I would have Joelinton in that core list as well .

My frustration with Miggy is that he always seems to do the daft thing when he’s got time to make a decision (wrong pass, poor accuracy, another touch or a cut back).

I can’t get over that genuine chance we had on Sunday of scoring on the break in the opening minutes of the game where there were three players running ahead of him and he messed up the easy pass 

He overran the ball on another one as well, when he was receiving. Looked the fault of the passer but IMO it was him for not holding in the space. 

He's also so extremely left footed that he's never going to be happy going down the outside. So that's a decision for the coaches if they can accept it. 

Nothing's really changed in the Miggy debate except he went through an unreal patch which has now ended. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

A wide forward was wanted in the last two transfer windows for a reason.  He's had a fantastic season and seems a great lad to boot, but his form was always going to be difficult to sustain when you look at the quality of the goals he was scoring. I'll be amazed if a quality replacement isn't sought in the summer with a view to him becoming a squad player.