Miguel Almirón

Deuce

15 minutes ago, gbandit said:

He’s a brilliant player, think we can forget about purple patches or whatever. He’s making the right decisions, his weight of pass is perfect, he’s beating his man almost every time and he’s scored a bunch of worldies. At what point do we accept he’s just a very good player with a much higher baseline than ever before 

Imagine predicting this a year ago. It's mad isn't it.

I don't think the scoring rate was sustainable but yes he does so much right, and I think it has to be said he did always do a lot of teh hard defensive work right but he a) didn't have players in front and behind that supported him properly (or were coached to support him properly)

b) was not coached very well, and I think his lack of goals was allowed to get to him, Howe has said he told him not to worry just do everything right and goals will come naturally and c) he deserves so much credit for his attitude, many many good wingers would let their head drop with what he was going through in terms of being in an underperforming team and not delivering the goals and assists he expected to. But he kept going and it has to make a difference to team mates seeing him working so hard despite it all they have all clearly been behind him and willing him to succeed.

Edited by Tiresias

You can’t remove him from the team, nobody else puts in that sort of shift, just when you think he’s coming off the boil he goes again.

I think the natural move is to play Isak left and Wilson in the middle and drop Joelinton back to midfield. Maxi is going to have to accept being a sub until someone’s form dips.. or he can start if Wilson needs to be rested. Dropping either Willock or Longstaff would be harsh though.. but again, it’s not a bad option to rest players by changing things up for a spell.

Yeah, his cutting in and passing tonight was actually unbelievably exciting. He's really beginning to fully understand what he can do from that right hand side as a left footer coming inside with the ball, along with running in behind like has done so effectively.

This man is actually still continuing to improve even further. On the rare occasions under Bruce where he played in the number 10 he did show glimpses of threading through a decent final ball, and that was on full display today. Very very exciting.

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t think he did anything wrong today despite a few critical comments in the match thread. He was his usual self with work rate and linking play. He had a couple of strikes on his left from distance which were a bit off and he finally had an effort on his right that was his best chance but at least he got something on it. I’d like us to have another option on the right, more pace and more technical ability to dribble at people and leave them for dead but I love Miggy and he remains vital for us 

Just now, gbandit said:

Don’t think he did anything wrong today despite a few critical comments in the match thread. He was his usual self with work rate and linking play. He had a couple of strikes on his left from distance which were a bit off and he finally had an effort on his right that was his best chance but at least he got something on it. I’d like us to have another option on the right, more pace and more technical ability to dribble at people and leave them for dead but I love Miggy and he remains vital for us 

The one criticism (and always has been) is that he cuts back onto his left foot all the time when in good positions to make first time crosses. Can't fault his season though and I know he's playing on the right to link up/give protection to Trippier. 

5 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

We need a RW. 

18 months left on his deal? Be interesting to see if he signs a new deal or is sold in the summer. 

We should definitely be locking him down to a longer contract 

1 hour ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Apart from 1 fluffed chance I thought he played really well yesterday. Always running, always trying to cause trouble. 

No doubt he is a huge part of how we play, we rely on his industry and Longstaff’s tbf, and his goal contribution has obviously been incredible.

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

We should definitely be extending him.

Squad is so thin and we'll almost certainly have European football of some description next season. Miggy can play both sides and could probably play one of the wide CM roles too.

Would expect us to go in for Diaby again in the summer but extending Almiron too should be a no-brainer.

We should definitely be looking to keep him. It's not only his end product that's improved this season, practically everything he does is of a significantly higher quality now to the point that he's one of our best and most important players right now.

He's playing with a lot of quality even when he's not directly creating/scoring.

I thought he was outstanding last night. Maybe MOTM. 

He was popping up all over and dragging Salisu with him. Who had the unenviable task of man marking him wherever he went. 

His passing in the first half was shambolic at times and it was really frustrating. But as always, he ran himself into the ground and the final ball and decision making was there for once.