Miguel Almirón

Deuce

Think he always comes back better after being dropped or rested previously. Let's hope he can replicate that. I think I remember him unhappy being substituted during the Palace home game but in the following games, he did well, if I'm not mistaken.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He overran the ball on another one as well, when he was receiving. Looked the fault of the passer but IMO it was him for not holding in the space. 

He's also so extremely left footed that he's never going to be happy going down the outside. So that's a decision for the coaches if they can accept it. 

Nothing's really changed in the Miggy debate except he went through an unreal patch which has now ended. 

I'd say the debates moved on as he's definitely more effective overall than he was 9 months ago. Now I can tolerate him being part of the setup, and have reasonable confidence about him scoring a chance. But he's certainly limited, one-footed, and heavily reliant on drilled routines rather than natural insight. It puts a strain on the players around him, having to come up with things for him to do.

Much as I love the guy, he has to show some more aggression in the final third. He made the full back's job too easy by looking for the easy pass or hesitating to go at them when he had the chance. The delivery from the right side improved massively once Willock and Murphy came on.

I love his output, energy wise he is just built for this system. I remember during his insane run of goals saying something like ‘if he can keep up even half of this goal/assist form we won’t need to replace him’, so yeah long term he probably isn’t the answer as our starting RW. Being so one footed makes him predictable, teams adjusted to it a while ago.. we also arnt seeing that Bruno ball over the top for him to run onto anymore. He’s so useful but will always have limitations in and around the box, he’s a confidence player but even confidence wont allow him the use of his right foot. 

Defenders know that he doesn't want to go on the outside on his right foot, and so they can concentrate on just blocking him moving across the pitch on his left. The result is that, more often than not, he moves backwards on to his left foot and just returns the ball where it came. 

It feels like we're back to where we started the season, with doubts about whether there was enough in his armoury, apart from workrate and application. He will always be a useful squad player for us, but we need someone with a more wide range of attacking threat.