Miguel Almirón

Deuce

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Mate he doesn’t often beat defenders 1v1, he’s not an incisive passer.

He simply isn’t going to open teams up with his ability on a regular basis.  He doesn’t offer much threat in build up. 

He has great movement and often gets himself into great positions to create or score. But he lacks the quality to consistently capitalise with a final ball or composed finish.  

I think he lacks the ability to consistently finish the good chances he gets. I can see him being streaky when his confidence is up. But won’t be able to maintain it. 

My mates try and tell me Howe will be sacked if we don’t get top 4. I reject it - we are still starting Almiron. He has some great attributes but do you think he’s a top 4 player? Murphy seems to be his backup. We got Dan Burn and a kid at LB.  Dan Burn and Lascelles as backup CBs. We’ve not got a single creative midfielder type player. So far it’s looking like Anthony Gordon. Based on the quality of the squad and its demands 6th-7th wouldn’t be unreasonable depending on how things pan out.  

image.thumb.jpeg.f2fe95f347cfd705c460bad3ec3beceb.jpeg

IMG_1471.jpeg

You and your “top four player” paradigm again. If we were to take your view on this our squad only counts three, perhaps four top four players, yet over the last year and a half Eddie Howe had players like Almiron, like Joelinton and like Burn compete at top four level, whereas various Chelsea managers had players like Enzo Fernandez, Joao Felix, Reece James and Raheem Sterling performing like midtable players, quite literally. Almiron has a place in our system and has contributed significantly to our performance level over the past 1.5 year. This may be hard for you to grasp looking at his attributes, strengths and weaknesses, but football is not just a game of technical skill.

Edited by Unbelievable
Typo

6 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

You and your “top four player” paradigm again. If we were to take your view on this our squad only counts three, perhaps four top four players, yet over the last year and a half Eddie Howe had players like Almiron, like Joelinton and like Burn compete at top four level, whereas various Chelsea managers had players like Enzo Fernandez, Joao Felix, Reece James and Raheem Sterling performing like midfield players, quite literally. Almiron has a place in our system and has contributed significantly to our performance level over the past 1.5 year. This may be hard for you to grasp looking at his attributes, strengths and weaknesses, but football is not just a game of technical skill.

If only he was a cute baller he'd be a top 4 player for sure.

If it wasn't for Almirons purple patch last year, and we had the 2023 Almiron during that patch, we would definetly not have made top 4. Unfortunately it's probably unlikely that he will have that patch this season, but you never know. So basically we can't rely on that happening again, we need other players to step up this time around.

Edited by Erikse

1 hour ago, Unbelievable said:

You and your “top four player” paradigm again. If we were to take your view on this our squad only counts three, perhaps four top four players, yet over the last year and a half Eddie Howe had players like Almiron, like Joelinton and like Burn compete at top four level, whereas various Chelsea managers had players like Enzo Fernandez, Joao Felix, Reece James and Raheem Sterling performing like midtable players, quite literally. Almiron has a place in our system and has contributed significantly to our performance level over the past 1.5 year. This may be hard for you to grasp looking at his attributes, strengths and weaknesses, but football is not just a game of technical skill.

I’ve repeated a lot.  That Almiron is a good member of the squad and anyone that replaces him, needs to have 80% of his attributes (pressing, off the ball movement, stamina etc) or else they won’t fit the system. That’s giving him credit. But his skill set is limited.  As good as he’s been under Howe how many goals and assists as he had outside of that hot 9 game period?

And even then I still think he’s a valuable squad member. His pressing is the gold standard. But the squad needs more quality down the right sooner or later.  It’s a weakness of our current line up and sub routes. 

20 minutes ago, Erikse said:

If it wasn't for Almirons purple patch last year, and we had the 2023 Almiron during that patch, we would definetly not have made top 4. Unfortunately it's probably unlikely that he will have that patch this season, but you never know. So basically we can't rely on that happening again, we need other players to step up this time around.

I think he gets on the end of so many good opportunities that if 2-3 go in consecutively he may go on 4-5-6.  With that extra bit of confidence and assuredness a couple goals gives a player.  

But you can’t rely on that over a season. You need a genuine option that’s not Murphy. 

• 2 weeks later...

:bluestar:

If he comes out of the team because of this, people will - fairly - say it's not a legit comparison because of the strength of our first 4 opponents. But I'd really like to see Murphy or perhaps someone else start on the right. I think it'll be a big contribution to getting us out of this rut.

Edited by 80

4 minutes ago, 80 said:

:bluestar:

If he comes out of the team because of this, people will - fairly - say it's not a legit comparison because of the strength of our first 4 opponents. But I'd really like to see Murphy or perhaps someone else start on the right. I think it'll be a bit contribution to getting us out of this rut.

Would like to see Gordon on right - Joe or Barnes on left - Isak as 10 - a Wilson up top 

Bruno and Tonali holding 

4 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Would like to see Gordon on right - Joe or Barnes on left - Isak as 10 - a Wilson up top 

Bruno and Tonali holding 

Gordon on the right seems natural but slightly concerned about it just because Howe has shown no inclination to put him there. I hope we manage him carefully to get the best out of him rather than just lobbing him in and have him return to being a whipping boy if our poor form continues.

1 minute ago, Mikky said:

Bruno and Tonali holding 

From what I saw of Gordon last year he seemed far more effective on the right. The cross for tonali v villa was probably the first time I've seen him cross it left footed, but obviously he likes to come inside which for me is only effective if you have a dynamic LB behind him to provide width. The whole left side was absolutely dead against Brighton (not that the rest of the field was enjoying much success) 

Without willock or isak playing left there's nobody running down the channel and going outside.

For me, whilst willock is out I think isak has to play left side, after all he's wasted in the middle if he can't get involved. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NWMag said:

Nice goal but the defending for that goal in particular was some of the worst I’ve ever seen at this level, embarrassingly bad.

Davies looked like an NPG as Almiron scampered past him. Oblivious. 

4 hours ago, NWMag said:

Nice goal but the defending for that goal in particular was some of the worst I’ve ever seen at this level, embarrassingly bad.

This. A simple straight pass where Miggy literally runs right through the middle and the defenders are no where to be seen.