Miguel Almirón

Deuce

5 hours ago, CPL said:

Anyone seen the pic of his kid on his Instagram story? Definitely not the postman's. Literally Mini Miggy! 

Not too sure about this.

The kid's been named Pat Almiron so I'm wondering. :pilko:

• 2 weeks later...

It is good to get him back as a wide option. Sounds a bit weird saying I don’t want our top scorer straight back in the side. But I feel like we have been more balanced with a right footer on that flank and we’ve been a better team in attack overall. Murphy has done a good job and thought the next step might be Gordon starting there. 

It’s not all down to Almiron coming out the side, of course. As his injury coincided with Isak starting games, ASM coming back and Wilson returning to form. But it felt like we were getting too predictable and slow in our play on the right with Miggy in the side. 

• 2 weeks later...

I joked about this in the match thread, but there was a moment in the first half where the referee wanted a free kick retaken. The ball rolled to Almiron on his right foot and he moved it to his left before passing back to the ref.

I love this guy and he's been critical this season, but we're a better team with Murphy right now. I think Miggy's tendency to bring everything inside on his left foot is a big reason why teams seemed to have us figured out for a couple months starting with Leeds on New Year's Eve. That started a run where we scored 3 goals in 8 league games. In the 8 games since he was rested and then injured we've scored 23 goals. There are many reasons why this is an unfair comparison - distracted by the LC, no Bruno for 3 games, Isak, Wilson returning to form, etc. and Miggy got the winner v. Wolves off the bench - but the balance down the right is an important part of our return to form.

The workrate was there, as always.  But the quality wasn't.  I know he's been out of the team, it was a scrappy game for most of it and so I shouldn't judge too harshly.  But I found him infuriating to watch.  Constantly fucking up basic passes, over-running the ball, always wanting 5-6 touches when 1-2 and then an early pass was the way to go.  

He was our talisman at the start of the season, but as Ed alludes to above.  We have been a better attacking side without him in it of late. 

14 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I joked about this in the match thread, but there was a moment in the first half where the referee wanted a free kick retaken. The ball rolled to Almiron on his right foot and he moved it to his left before passing back to the ref.

I love this guy and he's been critical this season, but we're a better team with Murphy right now. I think Miggy's tendency to bring everything inside on his left foot is a big reason why teams seemed to have us figured out for a couple months starting with Leeds on New Year's Eve. That started a run where we scored 3 goals in 8 league games. In the 8 games since he was rested and then injured we've scored 23 goals. There are many reasons why this is an unfair comparison - distracted by the LC, no Bruno for 3 games, Isak, Wilson returning to form, etc. and Miggy got the winner v. Wolves off the bench - but the balance down the right is an important part of our return to form.

Agreed. 

Murphy gives a complete different threat, one that is paying off.

26 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

The Almiron Trippier combinations became infuriatingly predictable

2 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

In total agreement. For me, the Miggy Murphy swap was the key to our season picking up again.

He's a lovely guy and I don't mind him staying with us, but I wouldn't be averse to him being a surprise sale for us this summer. Offensively, I think the team has to work to complement him, rather than him complementing the team. Given FFP and such, this is probably the last best chance to get good money for him given his age and the profile he generated in the first half of this season.

3 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

Good post, definitely agree on this. Hope to keep Miggy as a squad player going forward, but the complete lack of a right foot really does hold him, and the team, back at times.

He was out for a bit and so think he's just a bit off the pace at the minute. He'll come back into it. Did well to switch the ball to the other sid to Targett in the lead up to the first goal. He'll bb alright.

On 28/04/2023 at 14:18, Lotus said:

Think he just lacks a little match sharpness.

Was going to agree with this on the day because I thought he wasn't THAT bad. Today I thought he looked great when he came on, everything he was trying came off, looked far more aggressive in intent, something which I think Howe has to keep drilling into him.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be being a tad harsh on this lad given the purple patch he had won is so many games mid season but I feel like he’s reverted back to type lately and needs to deliver in the remaining games to justify a place next season. 

At the level we’re trying to be you can carry a forward player that isn’t threatening to score or proving chances. 

You know what really irritates me about him is the runs he makes into space through the lines. They’re really good runs and he’s always in a position to receive the ball in a dangerous area, but when he gets the ball, he doesn’t do anything with it. Then the move breaks down and you can’t understand why he was given the ball in the first place - it’s so frustrating 

His refusal to even try and square it 5 yards on his right foot is rage inducing. He makes so many great runs that end up being pointless. As he always wants 3 touches to chop back. Then gets crowded out. 

47 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

You know what really irritates me about him is the runs he makes into space through the lines. They’re really good runs and he’s always in a position to receive the ball in a dangerous area, but when he gets the ball, he doesn’t do anything with it. Then the move breaks down and you can’t understand why he was given the ball in the first place - it’s so frustrating 

Aye. I might have got it wrong in the foot. But ASM got loads of criticism for that final cross which I think was left footed. And it was bad. But at least he has a left footed cross in his locker.  Almirons refusal to use his right foot makes him one-dimensional.

Generally I thought he was ok but not a real threat. He does need more from Trippier and Bruno though. 

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

His refusal to even try and square it 5 yards on his right foot is rage inducing. He makes so many great runs that end up being pointless. As he always wants 3 touches to chop back. Then gets crowded out. 

Seems to need too many touches to get the ball under control at times or something. It's really strange.

All the positive changes that came early on in the season have seemingly disappeared during his time out.

He's back to not taking people on, going out of his way to get onto his left foot and taking ages to do so, going down trying to win fouls under the slightest pressure and conceding possession because of it and always passing sideways or backwards when he gets the ball.

He's 29 years old, and so it's especially frustrating to start seeing these struggles return. Really hope he is more of a squad player next season now.

Edited by KaKa