West Ham 2 - 0 Newcastle United - 02/03/19 - Post-match reaction from page 18

BlueStar

Caught cold first half, took us a while to settle to the tempo they set. Silly mistakes with both goals. Just didn't work out 2nd half when we had more of the ball to get back in it.

Guest godzilla

They have defended very well like. Our final ball hasn’t been terrible

Dummetts was particularly shocking there mind :lol:

Unfortunately not one of our full backs are the required quality for the system. Massive issue and has been for a few years

Guest neesy111

Meh, they're a decent side. No shame in losing away to them. Bring Diame back in alongside Longstaff/Ki next game I think

:thup:

Predictable overreaction by some as usual.

Has Benitez ever beaten Pelligrini in Premier League? Might be his nemesis.

We looked a bit nervous at the start and gave the ball away too often, but that didn't improve overall much in the second half, we are frequently careless and nervous with the ball - especially in that game.

We simply didn't look good enough.

Although Almiron gave the ball away a few times too, I saw him looking for movement where there was fuck all to be seen, I'd rather we adapted to his requirements than he has to adapt to ours.

Guest neesy111

Has Benitez ever beaten Pelligrini in Premier League? Might be his nemesis.

They've hardly came up against each other.

Seemed to lack energy today. Credit to WHam, they defended heroically at times, and competently at all others. We fell asleep on a set-piece and conceded a stupid penalty. We've been better but I think WHam stopped us playing more than anything. Rafa been out-Rafad.

Put the kind of formation on I hoped to see at the start when the game was already lost.

We need to ditch this wingbacks formation soon enough. Ritchie isn't cut out for it, and I assumed we only used it right up until January and slightly beyond because we were finding cover hard at Left back.

And I really want to see Almiron used as a 10 and used more effective. I beleive that's the position we will see the best from him.

Put the kind of formation on I hoped to see at the start when the game was already lost.

We need to ditch this wingbacks formation soon enough. Ritchie isn't cut out for it, and I assumed we only used it right up until January and slightly beyond because we were finding cover hard at Left back.

And I really want to see Almiron used as a 10 and used more effective.

We definitely had more to our game once Rafa (Good luck in your next job mate) brought on Dummett. But I don't think we had the wrong formation to start, we just fucked up early on and allowed Wham to control the game from then on.

I don't think we had the wrong formation to start,

i wouldn't say it was wrong but the way west ham setup caused us massive problems in midfield especially, game felt very cramped with no space and we never really got free out wide nor in behind them

i've not seen much of rice before but he seems a pretty good DM to me, physically capable and has the positional sense to be in the right place and we never got between them as a result

Not going to lose any sleep over that. Pretty evenly matched on the day and when two mid-table sides play each other the home side will always have the edge.

Although we only had 1 shot on target they needed last ditch blocks to deny Schar & Rondon, plus we hit the post so it’s not as bad as that stat makes it look.

4 points from the next 6 and we’re home and dry.

Guest godzilla

Need to push Almirón more forward to the number 10 position as he’s playing to deep at the moment. I actually thought he done ok with the ball today and was the only player who consistently find his man. Perez is not suited in that role he just loses the ball time after time.

If Longstaff is injured I would play Diame and Shelvey in midfield as we need someone to play through balls and Shelvey is the only player we have with that in his locker.

We couldn’t compete physically with then and they have better technical players. No surprise we lost, I do hate Noble and that cheating git up front. Noble couldn’t have complained if he’d have been sent off; awful challenge intended to injure.